Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We all know that smart dumb person Watch

ReputationRep:
    We all know somebody in school or university who is very smart and has a lot of knowledge about virtually everything such as politics, religion etc and is very intellectual, yet they are failing their gcses, a levels or degree.

I feel we all know somebody like this. Is this true?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not dumb then, just lazy.

ReputationRep:
    That's me

ReputationRep:
    Education nowadays is more memorising and testing one's memory than testing what we have actually learnt and understood.

We cheat in order to get a higher mark, without understanding what we are writing down in the first place.

People who are 'book-smart' *ahem calling out Sheldon Cooper * tend not to be liked very much by Unis (evident in the rejections they hand out) as they need people who are also genuinely interested in the world around them, and general knowledge of politics, news and everyday life falls into that category of being an intellectual. It is rare to find, but they do exist. While they may not be so successful on paper, they may be more of a perfect 'people-person' and one that many people will look up to.

If only I could be smart both ways, life would be so much easier...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Isn't it strange how a set of questions in a paper booklet are used to determine an individual's intelligence?
    The amount of times I've been assumed to be intelligent because I'm an A/A* student is ridiculous.

Yeah, me. Would trade the trivia for better grades tbh. :moon:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    That would be me. Partly because in my head I know what the answer is; but ask me to write it down, (unless it's a few words) and I won't be able to explain it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    That would be me. Partly because in my head I know what the answer is; but ask me to write it down, (unless it's a few words) and I won't be able to explain it to you.
    You're not clever if you can't put your thoughts to paper.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tehforum)
    You're not clever if you can't put your thoughts to paper.
    eh? It's more essay subjects. Maths, I'm fine with. But ask me to write an essay on something to do with the Cold War (something I've studied) and I can't because I can't explain myself that well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    We all know somebody in school or university who is very smart and has a lot of knowledge about virtually everything such as politics, religion etc and is very intellectual, yet they are failing their gcses, a levels or degree.

This is me but the other way round... I'm really clumsy and lack common sense but get good grades

ReputationRep:
    eh? It's more essay subjects. Maths, I'm fine with. But ask me to write an essay on something to do with the Cold War (something I've studied) and I can't because I can't explain myself that well.

Yeah, thanks for reiterating my point.

ReputationRep:
    There are also those people that are so sick at their subjects but lack common sense and are quite dopey lol

ReputationRep:
    His point is very true.

You can't have studied it that well, or be that intelligent if you cannot properly write it down in a meaningful sequence. I mean, you will forget eventually, obviously, but...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone like that...

Spoiler:
    Show

Other than me

ReputationRep:
    I'm the other way round, my general knowledge is just piss poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)

I find it sooooo annoying when I know about a topic, then complete a test on it and get an E.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm a smart dumb guy but not how you described it… I don't go to lessons much, I always get told off for not putting in enough work or something and say/do dumb things but somehow come out with A's! Also at first sight you probably wouldn't expect me to be smart, just a stupid (maybe funny) guy

ReputationRep:
    This guy in my class is extra book smart but terrible at general knowledge... like didn't even know who Theresa May is... And he's British

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    This guy in my class is extra book smart but terrible at general knowledge... like didn't even know who Theresa May is... And he's British

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...what on earth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    ...what on earth
    Only thing he knows are football players and whatever's in the textbooks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.