Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

amelienine's Road to A*A*A*B Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

So, I've decided to start this GYG blog to keep track of my studies and to stay motivated (and to stop procrastinating! So guilty of this)

First, a bit of background:

Didn't do GCSEs, but did an equivalent & achieved 4A+, 5A
    Achieved Aaa in my first year (Maths A-Level, Economics AS, Psychology AS)

Subjects + Targets:

Maths (retaking C3 and C4) A*
    Economics A*
    Psychology A*
    Further Maths B

Universities applied to:

Cambridge (Rejected)
    LSE
    UCL
    Durham (Offer - A*AA)
    Edinburgh (Offer - ABB)

Course applied for:

Economics!

ReputationRep:
    Feb 2

Decided to rewrite my essay plans for Psychology (my old ones weren't detailed enough). Only managed to finish Approaches today! There's a hell of a lot of writing for this subject and so I need to finish all my notes soon!
    Apart from that, I started going over Economics Theme 1 again (bit rusty there ) - started doing notes for them. Did up to Division of Labour in the Nature of Economics topic.

Pomodoros clocked in: 14! (approx. 7 hours)

(Yes, I use the Pomodoro technique! It's worked wonders for my procrastination and productivity - nothing mind-blowing but I find it effective)

To-do tomorrow:

Maths - C4 practice - Haven't done Maths practice for the past 2 days, must be careful not to slip with that
    Economics - Finish up Nature of Economics topic
    Psychology - Start doing essay plans for Biopsychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    Hi Everyone!

So, I've decided to start this GYG blog to keep track of my studies and to stay motivated (and to stop procrastinating! So guilty of this)

First, a bit of background:

• Didn't do GCSEs, but did an equivalent & achieved 4A+, 5A
    • Achieved Aaa in my first year (Maths A-Level, Economics AS, Psychology AS)

Subjects + Targets:

Maths (retaking C3 and C4) A*
    Economics A*
    Psychology A*
    Further Maths B

Universities applied to:

Cambridge (Rejected)
    LSE
    UCL
    Durham (Offer - A*AA)
    Edinburgh (Offer - ABB)

Course applied for:

Economics!
    I think if you believe your capable of an A* in maths, you should aim higher than a B in further maths. Everyone that's gotten an A* in maths at my school has always gotten at least an A in further maths (if they took it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    I think if you believe your capable of an A* in maths, you should aim higher than a B in further maths. Everyone that's gotten an A* in maths at my school has always gotten at least an A in further maths (if they took it).
    Hmm you have a point, all those in the year above me who got an A* in Maths got As in Further as well. Though I'm trying not to worry too much about it because unis consider it a 4th subject (also to be honest I might drop it if I don't get an LSE offer)

ReputationRep:
    Feb 3

Finished up Nature of Economics notes, did part of my Biopsychology essay plans up to Hemispheric Lateralisation and split brain research, then napped (was unusually sleepy, blame it on a heavy lunch). Spent a lot of time after that with my parents talking about uni and watching motivational A-Level videos, also feeling antsy as it's my last day of the 4 weeks for LSE's final stage and was SUPPOSED to have received a decision today, but LSE doesn't seem to be sticking to schedule :/

Then did part of a C3 paper at night. Was an absolute trainwreck though!!! I was making so many mistakes! Even simple ones like factorising and putting things in a calculator. Ended up giving up after 3 questions, feel like my mind's just foggy tonight. It was awful Moral of the story: Don't forgo Maths. Need to constantly practice to avoid silly mistakes

Pomodoros today: 9 (approx. 4.5 hours)

Didn't feel like I did enough today Need to pick things up to speed tomorrow.

To-do tomorrow:

FInish up C3 paper, do C4 paper
    Finish up Biopsychology essay plans, possibly start Forensics essay plans
    Start notes on Chapter 2 Economics Theme 1

ReputationRep:
    Feb 4

Had a slow start to the day, slept late last night because I was feeling down about how terrible I was doing during that C3 paper. Woke up and just scrolled through TSR because I wasn't really feeling that motivated to do anything. At about 11am I told myself "Right, time to work" and finished up that C3 paper, followed by C4. Don't know what was wrong, but I was doing really badly (again)... not so much in terms of technique like knowing how to do it, but just careless mistakes. Started crying mid-C4 paper.... gahhh. It's just that I need that A* in Maths you see, it's part of my offer, and I'm retaking C3 and C4 again this year.

Switched to Psychology - continued with Biopsychology essay plans, then looked up how the papers are marked. There are only 2 specimen papers online (since it's a new spec), how am I supposed to get my practice? Especially with smaller mark questions like 2 mark, 3 mark questions... I suppose I could do past papers just to see how it's marked. It's just that they're different specs, but oh well.

Continued with Economics at night, did up notes on the labour market (haven't finished them yet though) but it was starting to get late and decided I'd finish them tomorrow.

Pomodoros: 13 (approx 6.5 hours)

To-do tomorrow:
    Finish up Labour Market notes
    Finish up Biopsychology essay plans
    Do C3 and C4 paper

ReputationRep:
    Feb 5

Got my mock results today:

Economics: A
    Psychology: B
    Further Maths: B

So relieved about Further Maths, was honestly expecting a C or below since I knew I flunked FP2, but ended up getting high As in other modules so they pulled my grade up.

As for Psychology, I'm slightly disappointed but not wholly so because I pretty close to an A. I looked through where I went wrong and saw it was mostly exam technique. Downloaded past papers (even if they're an old spec) and specimen papers for Psychology so as to practice on those and make sure I know how to tackle those pesky 2, 3 mark questions. Once I finish going through all the topics I'll proceed with going over them.

Economics - happy with that, however in terms of actual marks I do feel like I could've gotten higher than what I did get. Though this mock was only testing us on Year 2 Economic knowledge so I don't know how I'll fare with having a mixed theme paper. Again, I've downloaded the specimen papers and once I finish going over all the content I'll do the papers.

Did a C3 paper after school. Still not doing as well I should but trying not to freak out about it too much - it just takes a bit of practice, and as long as I do the papers, I should be fine. Apart from that, did a bit more Biopsychology notes and Labour market notes. Taking a lot longer than I expected! I want to get all my notes done by the end of February. Or mid-March LATEST, so that I've got ample time to practice. Must speed things up.

Pomodoros: 10 (approx 5 hours) (Had a meeting after school so didn't have as much time for self study)

To do tomorrow:
    Finish up Labour Market notes!
    Continue with Biopsychology notes (it's a pretty big topic)
    Do a Maths paper

ReputationRep:
    Feb 6

Didn't do very much, was feeling quite tired and not really in the mood to do a lot today. I feel like I'm a lot more productive at home than I am at school sometimes? I'll end up talking to people and getting distracted, plus I feel like my classes aren't that productive either. And I have difficulty concentrating when people are being noisy during frees. Continued with those Biopsychology notes and did a C4 paper after school. Think I'll head to bed early tonight, I've a school event in the evening tomorrow but I still think I want to squeeze in some work.

Pomodoros: 6 (approx 3 hours)

To do tomorrow:

C3 paper
    Labour market notes
    Biopsychology notes

Submit reply
Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.