Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eu full time student living in UK for more then 10 years. Maintenance grant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Just quick question about maintenance loans for EU full time students. Would I be able to apply for it?

I've been living in the UK (Originally from Poland with an EU(PL) passport) since the age of 8.I'm 19 this year and have been applying for uni.

I know I can get the tuition loan for paying my actual uni fees, but no one is giving me a simple yes/no answer for the maintenance loan. I've called SFE twice and both operators have told me that they are unable to tell me. It's not the end of the world if I'm not eligible (I'm not fussy about having to work during uni) but would just want to find out for the simple reason of it helping me out if I'm eligible.
    If there is no way anyone can tell me if I can or can't get it, is there any specific body I can contact about finding out more information as SFE is not really much of help at the moment. Thanks for any replies in advance!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael2pac)
    Hi all,
    Just quick question about maintenance loans for EU full time students. Would I be able to apply for it?

I've been living in the UK (Originally from Poland with an EU(PL) passport) since the age of 8.I'm 19 this year and have been applying for uni.

I know I can get the tuition loan for paying my actual uni fees, but no one is giving me a simple yes/no answer for the maintenance loan. I've called SFE twice and both operators have told me that they are unable to tell me. It's not the end of the world if I'm not eligible (I'm not fussy about having to work during uni) but would just want to find out for the simple reason of it helping me out if I'm eligible.
    If there is no way anyone can tell me if I can or can't get it, is there any specific body I can contact about finding out more information as SFE is not really much of help at the moment. Thanks for any replies in advance!
    If you've been resident in the UK for 5 years or more before the start of your course then apply as if you're a UK student (despite the description the application will include questions for EU students about your residence). You should be able to get a maintenance loan as well as a tuition loan.

If you don't have an NI number then getting that sorted out before you apply might make things simpler.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...ort#layer-6193 explains the eligibility groups for England residents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you've been resident in the UK for 5 years or more before the start of your course then apply as if you're a UK student (despite the description the application will include questions for EU students about your residence). You should be able to get a maintenance loan as well as a tuition loan.

If you don't have an NI number then getting that sorted out before you apply might make things simpler.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...ort#layer-6193 explains the eligibility groups for England residents.
    Thanks! I do have an NI number too so no issues there. I'll try applying for it once I make my university choice
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I do have an NI number too so no issues there. I'll try applying for it once I make my university choice
    You can apply before your choice is finalised (it's easy to swap universities/course after the deadline and better than missing the end May deadline) - I'd recommend getting the application started in March and finished off in April/May.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

yo what did you send as your evidence and what did you pick for "checking your identity" did you put that you dont have an English passport or what? Cheers mate, because im basically in the same situation as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realoglukas)
    yo what did you send as your evidence and what did you pick for "checking your identity" did you put that you dont have an English passport or what? Cheers mate, because im basically in the same situation as you.
    I managed to get my parent's official tax return documents that had me on there, stating that they were receiving child benefits for me! I also sent in my exam certificates and that was it. Right now, I had to send them a UK residency form because they asked for it, still waiting to hear back from them on it (it's been 2 weeks since postage)

I'm not sure about the 'checking your identity part' I only got like an online thing that gave me the option of using my passport as a form of identity. I sent it to them special delivery, heard back from them about it 2 days later saying that it has been processed, and another 3 days later I got my passport back delivered by royal mail special delivery

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get my parent's official tax return documents that had me on there, stating that they were receiving child benefits for me! I also sent in my exam certificates and that was it. Right now, I had to send them a UK residency form because they asked for it, still waiting to hear back from them on it (it's been 2 weeks since postage)

I'm not sure about the 'checking your identity part' I only got like an online thing that gave me the option of using my passport as a form of identity. I sent it to them special delivery, heard back from them about it 2 days later saying that it has been processed, and another 3 days later I got my passport back delivered by royal mail special delivery
    ite ite safe safe g xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.