Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 18 and I've never really had a massive interest in makeup (and saved an insane amount of money because of it) but atm I wear mascara. I'm off to university in September and I'd like to be able to use eyeliner for formal events/parties/everyday wear. I would love to use liquid eyeliner but I've heard it's really hard to get right.

Any tips?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    So I'm 18 and I've never really had a massive interest in makeup (and saved an insane amount of money because of it) but atm I wear mascara. I'm off to university in September and I'd like to be able to use eyeliner for formal events/parties/everyday wear. I would love to use liquid eyeliner but I've heard it's really hard to get right.

Any tips?
    If it's too much for the first time, you don't have to draw the wing in one swipe. I usually just do my eyelid in sections, quite haphazard but it works for me and my personal agility. XD So just do the line on the eyelid and decide where you want the wing and connect it to the main line on the eyelid...

...That probably doesn't really help much tbh but it's all practise. Watch some videos and patiently try it. Oh and cotton buds are very useful. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Don't poke your eye.

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about eyeliner.

ReputationRep:
    Sellotape or scotch tape

Name:  large-3.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  235.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    You could start off by using a stencil and drawing it on with that until you can do it yourself. Also, before you take off your normal make up at night practise it and then take all of it off. x

ReputationRep:
    In the same exact situation as you! All i can say is practise makes perfect
    I've finally gotten kinda ok at it and have come to realise eyeliner doesn't even suit me

ReputationRep:
    Three main types of eyeliner are pencil, liquid and gel.

Gel and liquid will give you a very dark and intense line. Gel can be applied with an angled brush, giving good precision. Traditional liquid can be fiddly, although there are felt-tip pen forms of this (Stila All Day liquid pen liner is really good). Liquid gives a very clean and intense line.

Tips for beginner would be practice and watch tutorials on YT. If you are good at art/ drawing then generally it's easier. It definitely becomes much easier over time. Like some have said, you can use a stencil. I'm not sure I would recommend the tape trick. The around the eyes is extremely thin and delicate. The constant pulling of the tape will make the eye sag and wrinkle prematurely. You might want to find a stencil or an "edge" which won't adhere to the eye.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.