Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why British people dislike private education? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeHumanisation)
    No they shouldnt. If you come from a line of descendents who have never read a book in their life and who are basically farm hands, construction workers etc why on earth are you as equally entitled to an education as a child from a line of respectable doctors.
    You make me sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnotismm)
    Do you not see how a private education system favours the upper class? Children who are born into rich families get to go to private schools to get the best education, then go to top universities and into top jobs.

Whereas working class people go to state schools which are underfunded, either don't do well and start working after school or start at apprenticeships. The government make it so that working class people stay in working class jobs.

Obviously, people can work hard and some people are self made and come from working class backgrounds. But surely you can see why this isn't common, because the opportunities are just not there for working class students. It's harder to get into top universities when the school you attended couldn't afford more teachers, better equipment and better facilities.
    The upper class would flourish regardless of whether private schools are there or not. Its just pure natural selection, the best doctors, accountants, scientists etc are naturally gonna send their offspring to good schools; there is no conspiracy its just in the genes. There shouldnt be an social engineering or interfering in parental choice, people on the whole will always maintain the family tradition. Its not as if football or construction or the armed forces are a beacon of diversity, white working class people monopolise those and try and steer their families towards those roots. They are just plebs basically.

ReputationRep:
    The upper class would flourish regardless of whether private schools are there or not. Its just pure natural selection, the best doctors, accountants, scientists etc are naturally gonna send their offspring to good schools; there is no conspiracy its just in the genes. There shouldnt be an social engineering or interfering in parental choice, people on the whole will always maintain the family tradition. Its not as if football or construction or the armed forces are a beacon of diversity, white working class people monopolise those and try and steer their families towards those roots. They are just plebs basically.
    im no longer going to engage, goodbye troll

ReputationRep:
    People don't like private schools for the same reason the peasants don't like a lot of things: jealousy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!! I am an applicant for Cambridge. I am under the Bogs status for even 7 days based on business hours. How long do I have to wait? When checking the Gradcafe, most applicants got offer just in 1-2 days. I hope that I will be given offer TODAY!!!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone just stop giving the troll openings for his vile rhetoric and report him please.

ReputationRep:
    Parents are not monsters for doing everything they can to ensure their child is mentally equipped for the world. These people arent the world super elite, they just live in decent respectable neighbourhoods, yet why are they vilified and tabloid celebs who earn vastly more are applauded.

Why not spend less on cars and tvs and more on your offsprings education isnt it?
    j e a l o u s

ReputationRep:
    It is not really any different from paying for private tutoring, apart from you get a whole package.

ReputationRep:
    Why not spend less on cars and tvs and more on your offsprings education isnt it?
    As long as they keep their "respectable" neighbourhood and "respectable" jobs eh?

Face it, your equating of 'respect' with job and wealth is very much classist, despite your claim to the contrary.

Edit: ok only read like the first 6 posts. On reading the above: clear troll.

ReputationRep:
    90% of working class people wouldn't get any benefit from private schooling anyway, as for the most part people inherit the genes from their parents. Occupations run in families, its not controversial to state that butchers, bakers, army personnel run in families or that there are specific abilities that are innate and are passed down the line. People from quiet, humble and hard working backgrounds (very often Indians, Jews, white suburbans) feel that they shouldnt have to associate with violent yobs and therefore dont really want them contaminating their offsprings educational experience. Why is that so controversial? Why should someones aspiration to follow in the footsteps of their fathers career be ruined by having to work with kids who throw chairs around and who muck around. Those of us who went state but knuckled down all knew the stereotypical Traceys and Sharons of this world (the so called mystical working class the left talk about) who simply weren't interested in revision or coursework - whose main recreation consisted of being done up the bum in 25 year old Darrens Astra. Theres far too much social mobility, let people stick to their own flock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypnotismm)
    I think people dislike private education because these children will automatically get a better education and therefore better opportunities than other children, just because their parents have more money.
    But the same people don't seem to mind the fact that, just because they and their children were born on a particular piece of land (e.g. Britain), they will get free state education, free healthcare, higher paid jobs with explicit preferential treatment for those jobs, and many other advantages compared to someone born in a third world country that can't afford to give them all those things.

They don't seem to mind the unfairness when it benefits them. On the contrary, they actively try to maintain it. So surely it should come as no surprise that people even more privileged than them would try to do the same?

The fact is, our human nature has made us all far more competitive than we are compassionate, whilst fortune has favoured some people over others. It's only natural that we try to protect our advantages over others, and do whatever we can to seek even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    But the same people don't seem to mind the fact that, just because they and their children were born on a particular piece of land (e.g. Britain), they will get free state education, free healthcare, higher paid jobs with explicit preferential treatment for those jobs, and many other advantages compared to someone born in a third world country that can't afford to give them all those things.

They don't seem to mind the unfairness when it benefits them. On the contrary, they actively try to maintain it. So surely it should come as no surprise that people even more privileged than them would try to do the same?
    What type of moronic ***** do you know who think that it's right and just that some people in this world get good education whilst others starve in poverty? The fact is though private schooling is something which is happening within our own country and should therefore theoretically be easier to eradicate from the system.

It also seems to be expected practise in this world (for some twisted ****ed up reason that I haven't yet figured out) that those at the disadvantage should be the ones fighting for equality (e.g. feminism, civil rights movement etc). Following on from that pattern, people who go to state school in the UK should be fighting for equality to those who go to private and people who don't get an education in other countries should be fighting to get one.

I personally think private schooling is one of the most vile institutions in the world, and something I would happily see outlawed in every country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SawmHajjZakat)
    90% of working class people wouldn't get any benefit from private schooling anyway, as for the most part people inherit the genes from their parents. Occupations run in families, its not controversial to state that butchers, bakers, army personnel run in families or that there are specific abilities that are innate and are passed down the line. People from quiet, humble and hard working backgrounds (very often Indians, Jews, white suburbans) feel that they shouldnt have to associate with violent yobs and therefore dont really want them contaminating their offsprings educational experience. Why is that so controversial? Why should someones aspiration to follow in the footsteps of their fathers career be ruined by having to work with kids who throw chairs around and who muck around. Those of us who went state but knuckled down all knew the stereotypical Traceys and Sharons of this world (the so called mystical working class the left talk about) who simply weren't interested in revision or coursework - whose main recreation consisted of being done up the bum in 25 year old Darrens Astra. Theres far too much social mobility, let people stick to their own flock.
    Surely you must be a troll? I can't honestly believe anyone could be that idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    What type of moronic ***** do you know who think that it's right and just that some people in this world get good education whilst others starve in poverty? The fact is though private schooling is something which is happening within our own country and should therefore theoretically be easier to eradicate from the system.
    Nobody would just plainly say that "it's right for me to be well off while other people starve", but people in the developed world still actively try to maintain the advantages they have rather than dilute them by sharing them with everyone.

Why do we have immigration and border controls, restrictions on work visas, taxes on the import of foreign goods etc.? It's because we're trying to lessen the extent to which people from foreign countries in search of a better life manage to come here and benefit from things like free education, free healthcare, government welfare support, well paid jobs, affluent markets to do business etc. So that we can reserve all these things for ourselves as the select few.

It also seems to be expected practise in this world (for some twisted ****ed up reason that I haven't yet figured out) that those at the disadvantage should be the ones fighting for equality (e.g. feminism, civil rights movement etc). Following on from that pattern, people who go to state school in the UK should be fighting for equality to those who go to private and people who don't get an education in other countries should be fighting to get one.
    The reason is simple: people are competitive and selfish, far more than they are compassionate. It's the disadvantaged who fight for equality because they are the ones who stand to gain from it. But equally, the privileged would usually prefer to maintain inequality and remain on the more advantaged side of it.

So you'll see this effect with almost everyone, that they tend to try and benefit themselves at the expense of others, and fight for either equality or inequality depending on which one happens to suit them at the time.

I personally think private schooling is one of the most vile institutions in the world, and something I would happily see outlawed in every country.
    You may do, but someone who actually went to a private school would probably think it's a fantastic thing if it helped them benefit in life compared to someone else. A Mexican trying to cross over into America probably also thinks Trump's wall is the most vile thing in the world. But Americans trying to protect themselves from being outcompeted by immigrants in their jobs won't seem to mind so much.

Personally I'm a strong believer in free markets, free movement (of goods, services, labour and capital), free trade etc. Because, even though not every single individual stands to gain from it, it would make for a more efficient economy and more affluent world as a whole. I include within that, a strong belief in maximum opportunities for all.

So I don't think private schools themselves are vile. Like any other business, they just do their ordinary job of providing a service that people are willing to pay for, namely providing people with the best education and opportunities they can. What disappoints me is that most state schools are failing to do the same. Many of them provide a standard of education so inadequate that people who can afford to do so would rather forgo their right to state education (even though their taxes are still continuing to pay for it), and get their children privately educated instead, in effect paying twice.

I'd love to see a world in which private schools can be abolished, not by just banning them and reducing everyone to the same common denominator, but by doing the same thing that the UK has done with its top universities: making them so good that more expensive private universities are pretty much unnecessary. If state schools were up to scratch too, there wouldn't be much of a market for private schools either.

ReputationRep:
    Private schools are perfectly fine, if you can pay for it good for you, as long as money and behaviour/how well educated you are the only criteria. I dont blame people for having more money than me and getting a better education good for them, I use private healthcare anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Its a waste of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Nobody would just plainly say that "it's right for me to be well off while other people starve", but people in the developed world still actively try to maintain the advantages they have rather than dilute them by sharing them with everyone.

Why do we have immigration and border controls, restrictions on work visas, taxes on the import of foreign goods etc.? It's because we're trying to lessen the extent to which people from foreign countries in search of a better life manage to come here and benefit from things like free education, free healthcare, government welfare support, well paid jobs, affluent markets to do business etc. So that we can reserve all these things for ourselves as the select few.

The reason is simple: people are competitive and selfish, far more than they are compassionate. It's the disadvantaged who fight for equality because they are the ones who stand to gain from it. But equally, the privileged would usually prefer to maintain inequality and remain on the more advantaged side of it.

So you'll see this effect with almost everyone, that they tend to try and benefit themselves at the expense of others, and fight for either equality or inequality depending on which one happens to suit them at the time.

You may do, but someone who actually went to a private school would probably think it's a fantastic thing if it helped them benefit in life compared to someone else. A Mexican trying to cross over into America probably also thinks Trump's wall is the most vile thing in the world. But Americans trying to protect themselves from being outcompeted by immigrants in their jobs won't seem to mind so much.

Personally I'm a strong believer in free markets, free movement (of goods, services, labour and capital), free trade etc. Because, even though not every single individual stands to gain from it, it would make for a more efficient economy and more affluent world as a whole. I include within that, a strong belief in maximum opportunities for all.

So I don't think private schools themselves are vile. Like any other business, they just do their ordinary job of providing a service that people are willing to pay for, namely providing people with the best education and opportunities they can. What disappoints me is that most state schools are failing to do the same. Many of them provide a standard of education so inadequate that people who can afford to do so would rather forgo their right to state education (even though their taxes are still continuing to pay for it), and get their children privately educated instead, in effect paying twice.

I'd love to see a world in which private schools can be abolished, not by just banning them and reducing everyone to the same common denominator, but by doing the same thing that the UK has done with its top universities: making them so good that more expensive private universities are pretty much unnecessary. If state schools were up to scratch too, there wouldn't be much of a market for private schools either.
    Frankly the entire notion is such a heap of steaming **** I can't even be arsed to debate it at this length.

I guess the world is just full of selfish *****, but hey ho, I'm sure everyone by now has figured out that humanity at it's base is inhumane. I personally would love a world with no visas or borders or import taxes, but I guess the problem is the ***** that make up the majority.

Sure, it would be grand if private schools existed because they weren't needed, but because of the feedback loop we're stuck in of private schools having lots of money so providing a good education to those who then go on to make lots of money and donate it to private schools, the only solution is to simply ban them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Frankly the entire notion is such a heap of steaming **** I can't even be arsed to debate it at this length.

I guess the world is just full of selfish *****, but hey ho, I'm sure everyone by now has figured out that humanity at it's base is inhumane. I personally would love a world with no visas or borders or import taxes, but I guess the problem is the ***** that make up the majority.

Sure, it would be grand if private schools existed because they weren't needed, but because of the feedback loop we're stuck in of private schools having lots of money so providing a good education to those who then go on to make lots of money and donate it to private schools, the only solution is to simply ban them.
    Yes clever people pass on their knowledge to other clever people. Ban rich people from raising children!
    Great reasoning. You care about equality for the sake of it. According to YOU, privately-funded schools help their students achieve more wealth than state-funded schools. So why do you want to prevent people from achieving success, and that includes scholarship students?
    If they are truly the drivers of society,improving it, they are improving the lives of everyone, including the less well off.
    What makes you think they donate more to private schools than state schools. They are already 'donating' to state schools for a start as they probably pay more taxes than anyone else, but they don't use up the school resources. Hence, you'd be depriving the less well off through banning private schools in one way as more of their resources will be taken up, and the most well off can just get private tuition or whatever. (Well these days it'd be better quality tuition as everyone gets private tuition - want to ban that too?)
    All of your reasoning can be applied to anything private. Want to ban private hospitals? etc. i.e. want to ban free will?
    Do you want the money spent on private education going on other resources. I'd say education is probably one of the better things to spend money on.

p.s. I didn't go to a private school (not that it matters), but I did go to a private university, which was the cheapest course out there besides the Open University. I don't believe there is a difference between the scenarios.
    I'm not saying private schools are the be all and end all by the way. But I don't agree that any of your reasoning suggests a ban. If private schools were ineffective and so a waste of resources or not educating students adequately, that might be a better reason for a ban, but even then I believe a correction of the imperfect information out there would be a better place to start.

If you actually wanted to go nearer to the system that you propose in a more sensible way, then that would be to increase taxes, probably more through the more well off, and then fund the state-schools better and ensure the standards improved. Over time, this would probably lead to a shift in attitude to the benefit of private schools vs state schools.

Saying that, I've made an assumption in some of the above, that society will be improving. If there is no more efficiency to be gained (economic growth), then there would be a case of a completely equal sharing of resources, and thus a less capitalist system.

ReputationRep:
    The same reason people hate the monarchy people get things for being born and nothing more I am not a fan of private schooling because people born to rich families recieve better education than those who do not which is unfair sure life is unfair but that doesn't make it a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    Yes clever people pass on their knowledge to other clever people. Ban rich people from raising children!
    Great reasoning. You care about equality for the sake of it. According to YOU, privately-funded schools help their students achieve more wealth than state-funded schools. So why do you want to prevent people from achieving success, and that includes scholarship students?
    If they are truly the drivers of society,improving it, they are improving the lives of everyone, including the less well off.
    What makes you think they donate more to private schools than state schools. They are already 'donating' to state schools for a start as they probably pay more taxes than anyone else, but they don't use up the school resources. Hence, you'd be depriving the less well off through banning private schools in one way as more of their resources will be taken up, and the most well off can just get private tuition or whatever. (Well these days it'd be better quality tuition as everyone gets private tuition - want to ban that too?)
    All of your reasoning can be applied to anything private. Want to ban private hospitals? etc. i.e. want to ban free will?
    Do you want the money spent on private education going on other resources. I'd say education is probably one of the better things to spend money on.

p.s. I didn't go to a private school (not that it matters), but I did go to a private university, which was the cheapest course out there besides the Open University. I don't believe there is a difference between the scenarios.
    I'm not saying private schools are the be all and end all by the way. But I don't agree that any of your reasoning suggests a ban. If private schools were ineffective and so a waste of resources or not educating students adequately, that might be a better reason for a ban, but even then I believe a correction of the imperfect information out there would be a better place to start.

If you actually wanted to go nearer to the system that you propose in a more sensible way, then that would be to increase taxes, probably more through the more well off, and then fund the state-schools better and ensure the standards improved. Over time, this would probably lead to a shift in attitude to the benefit of private schools vs state schools.

Saying that, I've made an assumption in some of the above, that society will be improving. If there is no more efficiency to be gained (economic growth), then there would be a case of a completely equal sharing of resources, and thus a less capitalist system.
    I want to prevent people from achieving success purely due to luck of whose vagina they popped out of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.