Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why British people dislike private education? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    In that respect it is a bit of a con. They just select for the right kids.

They are also ran like businesses with profit in mind above the childrens' concern. You start to fall behind and get bad grades, you risk being kicked out. My friends sister was barred from her private school's sixth form due to her not getting good enough GCSES so went to the state school I went to. State schools care about teaching everyone, not just those who get A grades. Private schools treat their students as advertisement for their business and have the same level of ruthlessness.

I would rather send any future children of mine to a good state school than a private school, even if I had the money. From my experience looking in on the outside private schools seem like a hotbed for mental health problems. It's hard enough growing up as it is.
    Yeah that is probably true. I, nor any of my friends, were ever on the receiving end of that sort of treatment but then we never fell behind. It's amazing that registered charities operate so similarly to a for profit company

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRAnders)
    Stop with the 'us and them' mentality. I'm getting bored of this. I'm obviously not getting through to you. You might actually learn that no one gives a crap whether or not you went private or not at uni. Anyways I better go off to play polo with my 'rich' friends an bathe in my fortunes.

Stop with the generalisation. I come from a modest house and have a modest family. I'm exactly like you apart from the fact that I go to a different type of school.
    You're comparatively rich in that you can afford it. I never said anything about anyone giving a crap, nor am I condemning you for going to a private school - that's all in your head. All I have said is that you do pay for a better education than the average child receives, because you pay for it. You pay money and thus a receive a better education and the likelihood of better grades. This is a fact. It's a privilege that you pay for, it is not solely down to your personal motivation, and it's you that seems to have a problem with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its a non issue basically. The vast majority of people at private schools are the international elite and the rest are the genetic elite. Transplanting the average state schooler in to somewhere like Eton wouldn't benefit anybody; 95% of working class people come from a long line of plumbers, tradesman, construction workers etc - they are rough and ready and hard wired for those sorts of jobs. The elite class generally tend to think in a more formal academic manner, there is no conspiracy against working class kids in education. It is just simply a matter or culture/genetics, even in state schools it is noticeable how the most successful kids (who even study in the library at lunchtime) tend to be from the more middle class stock, whilst the under-performers who throw chairs around and smoke come from the tradesmen/hooligans/yobbos. Even Indians are coming over here and dominating medicine, accountancy and engineering, so throwing this class/privilege nonsense around is complete *******s really. Ironically what would benefit the white underclass more than anything are islamic values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Contrastingly, I'll also say that being a bright child at a state school is an incredibly frustrating experience. Outside the intense bullying that occurs in lower years, add the fact that even in sixth form the teachers teach at an incredibly slow and basic pace so that those aiming for Ds and Es don't fall behind, whilst those aiming for As and A*s are rarely given the support they need. There seems to be this mentality within state schools that it's okay if everyone passes, even at the detriment of more able students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with the bullying thing. Swat culture definitely existed and I suffered for it. I remember doing deliberately worse in an exam to avoid getting 100% in science year exam 8

I don't agree with the grade thing, well its not my experience anyway. In GCSEs we were put in sets which allows teachers to focus on different kids' needs. I would say it is those in the middle that get ignored. Those at the bottom get a load of support and those at the top got a load of support. But then this could be due to living in an area with a strong middle classes demographic so there were a lot of kids going for high grades.

As to sixth form, at that point a lot of it is down to self study and we got help and we could ask for help whenever we wanted to. We were taught all the syllabus to get an A*. You don't get spoon fed at uni and if you are that gifted you should be able to manage. If you were getting the grades and said you wanted to try and get in Oxford/Cambridge you would get a lot of help and our school always made a big thing about who went to those unis.

It could just be that I generally have much more relaxed attitude to it all with a "I get the grade I get" attitude and not really caring enough. I dunno. Due to my GCSE results I was even asked if I wanted to try and aim for Cambridge/Oxford but I probably would have died of the pressure and feeling inferior, especially considering the kind of grades I got in sixth form -.-.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I agree with the bullying thing. Swat culture definitely existed and I suffered for it. I remember doing deliberately worse in an exam to avoid getting 100% in science year exam 8

I don't agree with the grade thing, well its not my experience anyway. In GCSEs we were put in sets which allows teachers to focus on different kids' needs. I would say it is those in the middle that get ignored. Those at the bottom get a load of support and those at the top got a load of support. But then this could be due to living in an area with a strong middle classes demographic so there were a lot of kids going for high grades.

As to sixth form, at that point a lot of it is down to self study and we got help and we could ask for help whenever we wanted to. We were taught all the syllabus to get an A*. You don't get spoon fed at uni and if you are that gifted you should be able to manage. If you were getting the grades and said you wanted to try and get in Oxford/Cambridge you would get a lot of help and our school always made a big thing about who went to those unis.

It could just be that I generally have much more relaxed attitude to it all with a "I get the grade I get" attitude and not really caring enough. I dunno. Due to my GCSE results I was even asked if I wanted to try and aim for Cambridge/Oxford but I probably would have died of the pressure and feeling inferior, especially considering the kind of grades I got in sixth form -.-.
    Yeah no it was different at our school. We were only set in Maths/Science/Englidh and so other subjects basically consisted of behaviour management. At A Level we don't even get through the syllabus because so much time is wasted to those who cannot even understand basic concepts, though I imagine this is more prevalent in essay subjects than the more 'structured' sciences. Really there are people at 6th Form who shouldn't even be there but school desperately needs the funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Yeah no it was different at our school. We were only set in Maths/Science/Englidh and so other subjects basically consisted of behaviour management. At A Level we don't even get through the syllabus because so much time is wasted to those who cannot even understand basic concepts, though I imagine this is more prevalent in essay subjects than the more 'structured' sciences. Really there are people at 6th Form who shouldn't even be there but school desperately needs the funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I did do Math, Physics, Chemistry and Biology which is much more about just being given a load of stuff and saying "you need to know this for the exam".

and I dropped biology for being to wordy XD

I hate writing essays man.

ReputationRep:
    How bitter are some people here? Crystal clear jealousy that others have it better than them, which is rather embarrassing really - Don't tell me that if you could afford it you would deliberately choose not to give your kids the head start of a private education. Using phrases such as 'inbred toffs' and talking down on ties worn by old boys of these schools really shows that some posters don't care too much for the argument of disliking private schools as institutions, but rather disliking them for the type of person they think attends them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRAnders)
    Stop with the 'us and them' mentality. I'm getting bored of this. I'm obviously not getting through to you. You might actually learn that no one gives a crap whether or not you went private or not at uni. Anyways I better go off to play polo with my 'rich' friends an bathe in my fortunes.

Stop with the generalisation. I come from a modest house and have a modest family. I'm exactly like you apart from the fact that I go to a different type of school.
    The statement about uni simply isn't true. I can tell you from personal experience that when you have photos on facebook sitting in your Harrow boating jacket you definitely get one hell of a ribbing for it.

Anyone who went to any of the original 9 had to deal with a large amount of grief, and this was at a uni with quite a high private school admission.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.