Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please HELP! S1 Edexcel Interpolation dilemma... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know how interpolate data, but I am not sure how to do this question because the class median = 26/2 = 13 so 13.5th value. This lies within the first class interval, 0 - 1 which is actually 0 - 1.5
    Not sure how to go about this because it seems like I will have 18 at both ends of the line (the line that's drawn on to interpolate the datt...)
    Thanks in advance!

Zacken
    cobalt
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    slowdive
    'I'm here for any maths or chem questions you might have'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    slowdive
    'I'm here for any maths or chem questions you might have'
    Hey sorry, I didn't do S1, I did M1 instead as I took Physics AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowdive)
    Hey sorry, I didn't do S1, I did M1 instead as I took Physics AS.
    Ahh that's alright then, thanks anyway
    By the way do you have any tips for M1? I am also taking physics and we have started vectors (the complicated ones where there's T1 T2 T3 and you have to resolve vertically and horizontally and all that complicated stuff) and I am struggling...
    Thankss

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that's alright then, thanks anyway
    By the way do you have any tips for M1? I am also taking physics and we have started vectors (the complicated ones where there's T1 T2 T3 and you have to resolve vertically and horizontally and all that complicated stuff) and I am struggling...
    Thankss
    I take a methodical approach to M1, the questions are very repetitive once you practice them. For the vectors, I always wrote a table with T1, T2 etc against vertical / horizontal. This may be obvious, but in M1 diagrams go a looong way

ReputationRep:
    A couple of points on this one:

1) We're dealing with grouped data so there's no rounding when determining which member of the population represents the median, i.e. we go with 26/2 = 13.

2) The first class in the table takes the cumulative frequency from zero to 18. These are the end-points for your interpolation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    A couple of points on this one:

1) We're dealing with grouped data so there's no rounding when determining which member of the population represents the median, i.e. we go with 26/2 = 13.

2) The first class in the table takes the cumulative frequency from zero to 18. These are the end-points for your interpolation.
    Hello old-engineer,
    Thanks for your response, I just want to clarify something. You say there is no rounding as it is grouped data, but I thought what determined whether there is rounding or not is if the data is continuous or discrete. Or is my understanding incorrect? Also, my median value lies from 0-18 as you mentioned, but since it's discrete data (I think), my class width needs to be +- 0.5. But that means I would have -0.5 which makes no sense. So would my class interval just be 0-1.5?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    ...I thought what determined whether there is rounding or not is if the data is continuous or discrete....
    No, GROUPED data is treated as continuous even if the original data was discrete. If you're using the Edexcel S1 textbook, Section 2.7 refers.

...So would my class interval just be 0-1.5?...
    Yes that's right. There is no gap to the left of the first class, so you don't need to extend the lower limit of the class downwards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    No, GROUPED data is treated as continuous even if the original data was discrete. If you're using the Edexcel S1 textbook, Section 2.7 refers.

Yes that's right. There is no gap to the left of the first class, so you don't need to extend the lower limit of the class downwards,
    Ah yes...I think I understand now. That means NO data can ever be discrete if the data is presented in a table like the one in the question, correct?
    Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes...I think I understand now. That means NO data can ever be discrete if the data is presented in a table like the one in the question, correct?
    Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time.
    The original data may be discrete in nature (e.g. collar size, or whatever), but if it is presented in a grouped table it is always handled as continuous data.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.