Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been drawing a graph and my 2 variables are Fringe Spacing W (cm) on the vertical axis and Distance to screen D (m) on the horizontal. Should those 2 variables both be in the same unit (both metres or both centimetres) because when I find the gradient, it gives me 32.5 which is quite a big number, having both variables in metres would give me 0.325 which might be more sensible but I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    We're always taught (at least I've always been taught) to give the units in metres, and merely to scale the actual scale.

Example could be such that if you have 30 millimetres worth on your scale, 30mm -=- 3 cm -=- 3E-2 M. Make the scale in metres, but make the intervals very small and make it very large. That way it's still in metres, but the scale is just appropriated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AxSirlotl)
    I've been drawing a graph and my 2 variables are Fringe Spacing W (cm) on the vertical axis and Distance to screen D (m) on the horizontal. Should those 2 variables both be in the same unit (both metres or both centimetres) because when I find the gradient, it gives me 32.5 which is quite a big number, having both variables in metres would give me 0.325 which might be more sensible but I don't know.
    Not necessarily. You can have your scales on either axis in whatever (appropriate) units you like.

However, you need to make adjustments when working out your gradient. You want your gradient in this case to be dimensionless, so both need to have the same unit for the gradient calculation.

To restate:

- you do not need to have consistent units for your axis on the graph
    - you do need to have consistent units for your gradient calculation, and for that matter, any calculation

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.