Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I've applied to Kings College London, UCL, Sussex, Bristol and Cambridge. I've only got offers from Sussex and Kings so far and rejected from Cam.
    My issue is that I am stuck between taking a gap year and reapplying to different unis or going to one of the ones i've applied to. I feel like I made the wrong choices with unis and would prefer to be sure of my choice then go half heartedly. I made a lot of assumptions about unis and now regret them. My issue regardless, however, comes down to whether to live in a city or campus/in london. I have grown up in London and so i'm drawn to the busy lifestyle as opposed to more quiet small places, and so automatically thought i could not handle that. However, I have now looked at Durham and similar places and really seem to like them - ofc I would need to visit to make sure. But I just wondered if anyone else from London/big cities has been able to enjoy a calmer lifestyle, and not have the constant buzz of London - not even in the clubbing way, but rather in the diversity and simple hussle and bussle (lol) of London? I'm scared i'd go crazy in a small place like Durham, yet the culture and history intrigue me?
    I'm also considering going through adjustment.
    OH! and i want to study english but would most likely want to go into film/screenwriting after uni, so a gap year could work for getting experience in that but then going to uni for an english degree (as i love both subjects equally!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieBooks)
    Hey, so I've applied to Kings College London, UCL, Sussex, Bristol and Cambridge. I've only got offers from Sussex and Kings so far and rejected from Cam.
    My issue is that I am stuck between taking a gap year and reapplying to different unis or going to one of the ones i've applied to. I feel like I made the wrong choices with unis and would prefer to be sure of my choice then go half heartedly. I made a lot of assumptions about unis and now regret them. My issue regardless, however, comes down to whether to live in a city or campus/in london. I have grown up in London and so i'm drawn to the busy lifestyle as opposed to more quiet small places, and so automatically thought i could not handle that. However, I have now looked at Durham and similar places and really seem to like them - ofc I would need to visit to make sure. But I just wondered if anyone else from London/big cities has been able to enjoy a calmer lifestyle, and not have the constant buzz of London - not even in the clubbing way, but rather in the diversity and simple hussle and bussle (lol) of London? I'm scared i'd go crazy in a small place like Durham, yet the culture and history intrigue me?
    I'm also considering going through adjustment.
    OH! and i want to study english but would most likely want to go into film/screenwriting after uni, so a gap year could work for getting experience in that but then going to uni for an english degree (as i love both subjects equally!)

I don't think that the lack of a big loud city would be that much of a problem - if you go to a university like Durham, I'm sure university life will be very busy, even if the town itself isn't. So if you really wanted to reapply, a gap year would be a great idea - as long as you make the most of it. A lot of people choose to take gap years to avoid the responsibility of university and so end up wasting a year of their lives. If you get organised and figure out exactly what you want to accomplish, a gap year would be very beneficial to you, as you would be going to university one year more mature, with a better understanding of what you want to get out of it.
    Having said that, don't turn your back to the universities that have already accepted you straight away - most people end up loving their time at university regardless of the city they're in. Plus, you can always gain the experience you want for screenwriting during and after uni and I have to say that a lot more doors will be open to you with a university degree than without.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.