Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2017 IGCSEs - can I take them as a private candidate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've been looking all over the net for an answer for this today, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Basically, I want to join the RAF and need a C in English Language at GCSE to do so. I got a D at school so I need to obtain the C.

I'm attempting to get entered into an exam for this summer, and am looking at IGCSEs so I don't need to do coursework - I just want to take the exam.

There seems to be a big back and forth over whether IGCSEs will continue - I've read articles saying they will and ones saying they won't.

I've looked for exams on the various exam board websites and I can only find exams for 2018. There are ones for 2017, but they're all lumped into a 'resit only' category.

I found a 2017 English Language GCSE but it isn't available to private candidates.

Can anybody shed any light on whether IGCSEs are still available? Or more specifically, are GCSEs available for private candidates in 2017? As I said, I've looked, but the information is conflicting. I can find lots of info about 2016 and 2018, but 2017 seems to be some sort of information black hole.

Attending a 6 month part time college course later this year and waiting all this out isn't really an option for me either. I'm almost 26 and the clock is ticking on my opportunities in the armed forces.

Finally, if IGCSEs are dead, can anybody suggest an GCSE English Language equivalent that could be completed in a reasonable time frame? A lot that I've found would still be dragging on a year from now.

Many thanks in advance to anybody who takes time to respond. Hopefully I conveyed my problems coherently and didn't just ramble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dod06)
    Hi all,

I've been looking all over the net for an answer for this today, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Basically, I want to join the RAF and need a C in English Language at GCSE to do so. I got a D at school so I need to obtain the C.

I'm attempting to get entered into an exam for this summer, and am looking at IGCSEs so I don't need to do coursework - I just want to take the exam.

There seems to be a big back and forth over whether IGCSEs will continue - I've read articles saying they will and ones saying they won't.

I've looked for exams on the various exam board websites and I can only find exams for 2018. There are ones for 2017, but they're all lumped into a 'resit only' category.

I found a 2017 English Language GCSE but it isn't available to private candidates.

Can anybody shed any light on whether IGCSEs are still available? Or more specifically, are GCSEs available for private candidates in 2017? As I said, I've looked, but the information is conflicting. I can find lots of info about 2016 and 2018, but 2017 seems to be some sort of information black hole.

Attending a 6 month part time college course later this year and waiting all this out isn't really an option for me either. I'm almost 26 and the clock is ticking on my opportunities in the armed forces.

Finally, if IGCSEs are dead, can anybody suggest an GCSE English Language equivalent that could be completed in a reasonable time frame? A lot that I've found would still be dragging on a year from now.

Many thanks in advance to anybody who takes time to respond. Hopefully I conveyed my problems coherently and didn't just ramble.
    Yes igcse still exist and you can take them as a private candidate. They are still widely used in independent schools. Both Edexcel and CIE offer them. I'm not sure about other examiners.
    They are no longer funded for use in state schools so availability is reduced. they were known as level 2 certificates rather then igcse for use in uk state schools but were the same things.

GCSE English language isn't very suitable for private candidates because, whether it's a resit of the old specification or an exam for the new 9-1 specification, there are coursework elements that are hard for private candidates to complete.

A level 2 functional skills qualification in English may be considered an equivalent to GCSE and may be available from your local adult learning provider or learn direct centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Yes igcse still exist and you can take them as a private candidate.
    They are no longer funded for use in state schools so availability is reduced. they were know as level 2 certificates rather then igcse for use in the uk but were the same things.

GCSE English language isn't very suitable for private candidates because whether it's a resit of the old specification or an exam for the new 9-1 specification, there are coursework elements that are hard for private candidates to complete.

A level 2 functional skills qualification in English may be considered an equivalent to GCSE and may be available from your local adult learning provider or learn direct centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks very much for replying!

That's why I wanted to go for the IGCSE - I was under the impression that they don't have coursework?

I was initially looking at websites like ICS Learn, who offer IGCSE courses but you have to make your own exam arrangements - which is part of what originally led me down this rabbit hole. Then I decided I'd like to just ignore them, save the money and just take the exam.

Regardless, I guess it's a case of finding somewhere that allows me to sit the ICGSE. But I will look into the functional skills qualification.

Thanks again for the response, it really did help me shed some light on this subject. The information out there is so tangled.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get a move on. The entry deadline with the exam boards is 21 February and many centres will close their books sooner than that as they have to sort their entries before submitting them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.