Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have an interview to be a trainee dispenser, leading to training to be a pharmacy technician with Boots. I just wanted to get people's opinions on the role and whether me accepting/going for it would be crazy.

To provide some context, I have a good degree from a good university in geography. When I was at sixth form I really fancied nursing or physiotherapy, but didn't do them because my parents had the view of "if it is healthcare, it must be medicine". I didn't want to do medicine so ended up studying for a geography degree. I've been offered a job as a sustainability consultant with a company based on having that degree.

However, I like the idea of being able to work some with patients, help advise them and learning on the job (with a bit of studying on the side). Is the role of pharmacy technician going to be hugely restrictive, though? How much progression is there? This also may sound stupid, but does it get particularly complicated? I'm fairly intelligent and have always enjoyed being challenged in my work.

Thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by StayEvergreen)
    So I have an interview to be a trainee dispenser, leading to training to be a pharmacy technician with Boots. I just wanted to get people's opinions on the role and whether me accepting/going for it would be crazy.

To provide some context, I have a good degree from a good university in geography. When I was at sixth form I really fancied nursing or physiotherapy, but didn't do them because my parents had the view of "if it is healthcare, it must be medicine". I didn't want to do medicine so ended up studying for a geography degree. I've been offered a job as a sustainability consultant with a company based on having that degree.

However, I like the idea of being able to work some with patients, help advise them and learning on the job (with a bit of studying on the side). Is the role of pharmacy technician going to be hugely restrictive, though? How much progression is there? This also may sound stupid, but does it get particularly complicated? I'm fairly intelligent and have always enjoyed being challenged in my work.

Thanks in advance
    There is progression in the sense you can take on mangerial jobs and can become an accuracy checking technician but not just much beyond that, saying that it is a very rewarding job ( i m a trainee technician myself) and i get quite the sense of job satisfaction. It depends what you mean when you say complicated?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm not sure I entirely know what I mean by complicated tbh.
    I think the job satisfaction and stuff is the most important thing for me and you've mentioned that! I'd definitely consider management/seeing where I can get myself in the NHS in the long run. As you are a trainee, how do you find the training? Are you on day release? Do you work for the NHS or a private company?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by StayEvergreen)
    Haha, I'm not sure I entirely know what I mean by complicated tbh.
    I think the job satisfaction and stuff is the most important thing for me and you've mentioned that! I'd definitely consider management/seeing where I can get myself in the NHS in the long run. As you are a trainee, how do you find the training? Are you on day release? Do you work for the NHS or a private company?
    So I only just noticed your reply, my training is by distance learning that I do in my days off, I work for private company. The course isn't too difficult it's just a lot of information to take in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.