Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Photo of Passport/Driving licence as ID at cinema Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to watch an 18 this week, but I've sent my provisional driving licence to the DVLA as I'm getting my actual licence, so the only Other photo ID I have is my passport which I do not really want to be carrying about. Would a cinema worker accept a photograph of both my passport and provisional licence as ID? They clearly show my DOB as me being 18. (Odeon cinema)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kp98___)
    Hey, I want to watch an 18 this week, but I've sent my provisional driving licence to the DVLA as I'm getting my actual licence, so the only Other photo ID I have is my passport which I do not really want to be carrying about. Would a cinema worker accept a photograph of both my passport and provisional licence as ID? They clearly show my DOB as me being 18. (Odeon cinema)
    I personally wouldn't and have been refused being served at a bar with a photocopy of my passport before (and I wasn't even drinking!)

Anyone with a little bit of photo editing knowledge can whip up a fake image nowadays. I could spend half an hour or less putting together a fake image that could be printed to look like a photocopy. Of course it never hurts to try but it shouldn't be accepted. If you have to show ID then really they should only be accepting physical ID. There are usually additional restrictions.

So passport or bust really
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kp98___)
    Speaking as an ex cinema worker, it's a coin flip. On the one hand no, it's not technically an acceptable form of ID because of the possibility of tampering as mentioned above. On the other hand, as a general rule cinema staff really don't care that much, and if you look your age they may not even ID you at all. Just don't make a massive deal out of it and calmly ask for a ticket, and you should be alright.

Alternatively book online and collect them from one of the self-service machines and walk into the screen with your hands full of snacks. The guys tearing tickets outside the screens probably care even less about checking IDs than the guys at the ticket booth, and aren't going to want you holding up the queue if you need to put all your stuff down to get your ID out of your pocket.

ReputationRep:
    you will be best taking your passport and just keeping it safe. Places don't tend to accept pictures or photocopies due to the fact that they can be faked easy. If your really worried do what my parents do when they go on holiday and keep a copy of your passport (photocopy) at home. That way if it does get stolen (unlikely) but at least it will be easier for immigration or police to stop it being used.

ReputationRep:
    I used to sneak into overaged movies all the time with this trick. Book online, print your tickets out at a self-service machine, have your ticket ripped and enjoy the show. Never been caught.

ReputationRep:
    I need a photo of passport to confirm to a company online that I am who they are dealing with
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I work in a cinema and you run the risk of them saying no. We are told to accept pictures of student cards but not ID. If you don't want you're day out ruined I would just take your passport to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    I work in a cinema and you run the risk of them saying no. We are told to accept pictures of student cards but not ID. If you don't want you're day out ruined I would just take your passport to be safe.

Good advice. You are in the know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.