Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I forgot to include my qualifications in my job application (urgent) Watch

Hey guys,

I have an interview at the Buckingham Palace soon and I have just looked at my original application and realised that I should have included two qualifications I got a couple of years ago.

The reason why I didn't put them in because they were bad AS grades and didn't think they were relevant because I retook the whole year again. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing because I would have to explain the year gap.

I'm really worried, should I email or call them and let them know beforehand? Should I bring the certificates I got at the interview and explain the whole thing? I'm concerned I'll get chewed out for omitting them...

Thank you for reading, I have been worrying over this for a while.

Please give me some advice!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You can email and let them know and also take the certs to interview so you have them to hand.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't e-mail at this point, if it comes up in the interview then just go from there really. Wouldn't worry too much about it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    I personally wouldn't e-mail at this point, if it comes up in the interview then just go from there really. Wouldn't worry too much about it.
    If you let them know in advance and are apologetic then it looks like (and probably is) and honest mistake. If you don't and just let it be and it comes out later it could affect the application.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If you let them know in advance and are apologetic then it looks like (and probably is) and honest mistake. If you don't and just let it be and it comes out later it could affect the application.
    ^this.

(Original post by mashbbk)
    ^not this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they had lied on the application (ie inflated grades) I'd agree with you guys. Usually however, omissions of jobs you've done or qualifications are acceptable CV strategies as people understand that you are likely to only want to put your best and relevant info on them. Lying of course is a no no.

That's has been my experience anyway in the work place. I just hope the e-mail doesn't negatively distract them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justaquicksecond)
    Hey guys,

I have an interview at the Buckingham Palace soon and I have just looked at my original application and realised that I should have included two qualifications I got a couple of years ago.

The reason why I didn't put them in because they were bad AS grades and didn't think they were relevant because I retook the whole year again. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing because I would have to explain the year gap.

I'm really worried, should I email or call them and let them know beforehand? Should I bring the certificates I got at the interview and explain the whole thing? I'm concerned I'll get chewed out for omitting them...

Thank you for reading, I have been worrying over this for a while.

Please give me some advice!
    You could email them and explain that you only just realised you didn't add a two qualifications that you've completed, and yeah take the certificates to the interview just in case. They'd probably think it'll be an honest mistake anyway..

And good luck for the interview !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    You could email them and explain that you only just realised you didn't add a two qualifications that you've completed, and yeah take the certificates to the interview just in case. They'd probably think it'll be an honest mistake anyway..

And good luck for the interview !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    You literally haven't done anything wrong. I don't include all my qualifications on my CV and have never been asked about it. You don't need to take your certificates into your interview. They probably won't ask you about the grades, but if they ask you about the timings of your qualifications you can just say you had to re-do a year for personal reasons. Sometimes if you try too hard to rectify it (e.g. bringing in certificates to prove you're not lying) can go the other way and make you look overly suspicious. The only time it might be a problem is if they asked specifically for you to include every qualification you've ever gotten on an application form.

ReputationRep:
    have you heard back yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.