Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel lonely...How can I make more friends? Watch

Announcements

I started college and made a good group of frends, however one of my friends got a boyfriend and the group got gradually bigger and bigger. My friends (who isn't really my friend anymore) started to hang out more with the others and every time i tried to join in I felt ignored.
    I had another friend in the group who also felt the same and we decided to distance ourselves from the group. Now it's just us two left, and although I feel lonely i don't regret leaving my old group of friends because they were negative and made me feel down.
    My only friend I have at college now is nice however I don't feel like we're that close, like she's nice and all but I don't feel like 'click' I've had with other close friends in the past. Like at lunch I try to have an intresting conversation but she's always checking her phone.
    Also it seems she's trying her best to get into any other friendship circle possible, which i don't have a problem with because it's her choice. However I feel like i'm not good enough and whenever i'm with her if she see's any aqaintence she'llstart talking to them like they are her best friend, even if they aren't intrested in talking to her.
    I really want to make new friends at college, I don't need loads but I miss the social side of college. But the problem is I don't know how. I find it easy to make friends at the start when everyone is new, but now friendship groups are made and I jusr can't seem to fit in. I don't know what to do.Any advice how to make new friends? Making friends out of lesson would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Your old friends were downers, downers are draining.
    You and your new friend don't click, it happens, none of you are bad people just different.
    Don't feel the need to change yourself, keep looking for people similar to you, but if you don't look you won't find.

(Original post by Dat Tall Guy)
    Your old friends were downers, downers are draining.
    You and your new friend don't click, it happens, none of you are bad people just different.
    Don't feel the need to change yourself, keep looking for people similar to you, but if you don't look you won't find.
    I agree, I just don't know how to look...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I agree, I just don't know how to look...
    Just be friendly, if you see someone out in the corridor, crack a stupid joke or something, if they don't like it move on. The way I see it, the dicks filter themselves out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Tall Guy)
    Just be friendly, if you see someone out in the corridor, crack a stupid joke or something, if they don't like it move on. The way I see it, the dicks filter themselves out.
    *cracks joke*
    Some dicks are too big to fit through the cracks and thus wont filter.
    F..f.. friend?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zCR85sgbnu...nimals+(3).jpg

ReputationRep:
    Just be confident and be yourself, and sit with people , try and put yourself out there and try your best , you cant fail.
    Trust me I know what im saying cos I was alone in High School and it isnt a nice feeling.
    If people dont understand you or are not there for you when you need them then thats their bad, forget it and move on. Everyone always has atleast one person to hang out with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I started college and made a good group of friends, however one of my friends got a boyfriend and the group got gradually bigger and bigger. My friends (who isn't really my friend anymore) started to hang out more with the others and every time i tried to join in I felt ignored.
    I had another friend in the group who also felt the same and we decided to distance ourselves from the group. Now it's just us two left, and although I feel lonely i don't regret leaving my old group of friends because they were negative and made me feel down.
    My only friend I have at college now is nice however I don't feel like we're that close, like she's nice and all but I don't feel like 'click' I've had with other close friends in the past. Like at lunch I try to have an interesting conversation but she's always checking her phone.
    Also it seems she's trying her best to get into any other friendship circle possible, which i don't have a problem with because it's her choice. However I feel like i'm not good enough and whenever i'm with her if she see's any aqaintence she'll start talking to them like they are her best friend, even if they aren't interested in talking to her.
    I really want to make new friends at college, I don't need loads but I miss the social side of college. But the problem is I don't know how. I find it easy to make friends at the start when everyone is new, but now friendship groups are made and I just can't seem to fit in. I don't know what to do.Any advice how to make new friends? Making friends out of lesson would be useful.
    I could do with making some more friends

DM if you fancy a friendly chat

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.