The Student Room Group

Should I do an EPQ if I want to apply to Cambridge?

Just wondering if anyone could share any advice on this... I'm currently in the process of choosing my a levels for next year, and I have the option of doing an EPQ, does anyone know to what extent it would be beneficial to do one (for my application) and if it would put me at a disadvantage if I didn't do one? I'm planning on applying for natural sciences at Cambridge with biology, chemistry and maths as my A levels.
No, it's useless.
It wouldn't put you at a disadvantage not to do one, but they actually are useful. They allow you to express an area of interest outside the curriculum, liked to your preferable uni subject. This is so useful for Oxbridge as if you write about it in your PS, and it gets brought up at interview you have an opportunity to show off and talk about something you know the ins and outs of. This is very valuable. A girl at my college got into Cambridge, and her interview was largely about her EPQ because the person interviewing her had published work on her subject and this played off really well. Also, when applying to Oxbridge it can be a bit daunting and you'll want some safe, but still good back up uni offers. Doing an EPQ and getting an A* can lead to reduced offers from certain unis and help towards a possible unconditional offer which gives you safety nets.
Thanks for replying! I'll look into it more- I'm pretty anxious for the interview so I'll need something I'm comfortable with to talk about... An EPQ would probably be a good option from what you've said :smile:
Original post by Theresa=Appeaser
No, it's useless.

I've heard this from a few people so far... I'm still asking around for various opinions but thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by octavarium73
I've heard this from a few people so far... I'm still asking around for various opinions but thanks for the reply :smile:

It's a tough decision but it depends on how it will affect your grades. Your predictions, UMS and A2 result matter more.
Original post by octavarium73
Thanks for replying! I'll look into it more- I'm pretty anxious for the interview so I'll need something I'm comfortable with to talk about... An EPQ would probably be a good option from what you've said :smile:

It's a good way of focusing the interview on your area of expertise and honestly is so rewarding. With the new Linear A levels, you'll probably only do 3. So an EPQ is going to be very useful at expanding your application without the added stress of a 4th a level. Also, considering you're not doing essay based subjects it'll show that you're a competent writer, referencer and argument presenter. Skills which are valuable for university but obviously aren't always able to be highlighted if you do STEM subjects.
Reply 7
Original post by rosie.mn
It's a good way of focusing the interview on your area of expertise and honestly is so rewarding. With the new Linear A levels, you'll probably only do 3. So an EPQ is going to be very useful at expanding your application without the added stress of a 4th a level. Also, considering you're not doing essay based subjects it'll show that you're a competent writer, referencer and argument presenter. Skills which are valuable for university but obviously aren't always able to be highlighted if you do STEM subjects.

Hi about what you said.Im not sure if I should do an EPQ,the thing is I feel that I can use other things to show I have an interest in Medicine e.g MOOC,extended reading without doing an EPQ.I do Biology,Chemistry and History,so I'm not sure,but I hope since I do an essay based subject,shows I am a 'competent writer,referencer and argument presenter'.I also plan to try and get into Cambridge so I don't know if they care about EPQs or if they make alot of difference.I'm worried about doing one because I rather use that time to focus on the course work I have for History and my Science based subjects:/

Quick Reply

Latest