Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in my physic mocks and I am so mad, I found the jump from GCSE physics to AS level hard considering I only sat double science and not triple. I understand and like to think I have the knowledge to an extent but I find it extremely difficult to apply it to exam questions especially the mathsy side, ik you will probably recommend me to do some past papers under timed conditions but it is really difficult as there are barely any resources for A level physics (yes i have the CGP revision guide but it wont guarantee myself an A) anyways im really scared of achieving an E or possibly a U for my a level physics- I only study three subjects and I need 3D's minimum to move on to year 13. I also take maths and economics which I am progressing a ton more in than I am in physics.

Please please please offer some advice and be realistic as possible How can I change that E grade to a B in 3 months?
    Any advice will be appreciated. Feeling like ****

ReputationRep:
    For physics , notes for, your cgp book , in colour with picture , revision videos of YouTube , also do questions.
    If you do all those you'll be fine
    I found AS physics very hard in y12 I struggled with mechanics / electricity , managed to get a grim understand of the content and they became easy
    You should also ask your teacher if you don't understand something
    Don't memorise the content!!!,!,!!!!,,!,
    ITS ALL ABOUT UNDERSTANDING, if you can understand the content you will get the top grades , and be able to answer questions you haven't done , make sure you can recite what you know.
    Hope it helps
    I've seen people go from a U in mocks to a B on their real exams
    And btw
    There's no substitute for hard work

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm also taking Physics Maths and Economics, (as well as further maths) and I can completely understand where you're coming from. Ive only just managed to pick up my grades from Ds in homeworks fairly recently - it just takes time and practice.

This might sound silly but make sure you are revising properly, the CGP revision guide is great and do all the practise questions in it you can. Also i write out notes on each section onto summary's on A4 sheets, so I may have 2 sheets for quarks and leptons for example (I'd advise doing this too). It's definitely realistic to turn around an E, get the breakdown of your mock and find out where you went wrong so you can work on them, and most of all revise the topics you hate, as this is where you'll see the most progress.

All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiakms)
    I got an E in my physic mocks and I am so mad, I found the jump from GCSE physics to AS level hard considering I only sat double science and not triple. I understand and like to think I have the knowledge to an extent but I find it extremely difficult to apply it to exam questions especially the mathsy side, ik you will probably recommend me to do some past papers under timed conditions but it is really difficult as there are barely any resources for A level physics (yes i have the CGP revision guide but it wont guarantee myself an A) anyways im really scared of achieving an E or possibly a U for my a level physics- I only study three subjects and I need 3D's minimum to move on to year 13. I also take maths and economics which I am progressing a ton more in than I am in physics.

Please please please offer some advice and be realistic as possible How can I change that E grade to a B in 3 months?
    Any advice will be appreciated. Feeling like ****
    Learn all the maths. Its majority of the paper, just doing maths questions correctly in an ordinary physics paper will det you a D or C grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cero70)
    For physics , notes for, your cgp book , in colour with picture , revision videos of YouTube , also do questions.
    If you do all those you'll be fine
    I found AS physics very hard in y12 I struggled with mechanics / electricity , managed to get a grim understand of the content and they became easy
    You should also ask your teacher if you don't understand something
    Don't memorise the content!!!,!,!!!!,,!,
    ITS ALL ABOUT UNDERSTANDING, if you can understand the content you will get the top grades , and be able to answer questions you haven't done , make sure you can recite what you know.
    Hope it helps
    I've seen people go from a U in mocks to a B on their real exams
    And btw
    There's no substitute for hard work
    Thank you so much I really appreciate it I cannot afford to fail this year, may I ask how did you manage to get better at mechanics ? I feel like I'm not improving it that area in particular ugh regret my options sometimes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voalex)
    Hi!
    I'm also taking Physics Maths and Economics, (as well as further maths) and I can completely understand where you're coming from. Ive only just managed to pick up my grades from Ds in homeworks fairly recently - it just takes time and practice.

This might sound silly but make sure you are revising properly, the CGP revision guide is great and do all the practise questions in it you can. Also i write out notes on each section onto summary's on A4 sheets, so I may have 2 sheets for quarks and leptons for example (I'd advise doing this too). It's definitely realistic to turn around an E, get the breakdown of your mock and find out where you went wrong so you can work on them, and most of all revise the topics you hate, as this is where you'll see the most progress.

All the best
    Thank you so much ! Do you just take notes ? What else do you do ? How are you finding your resources? I feel like if there were more practice papers & revision guides available I would be okay but the spec has changed and I did the June 16 paper for my mocks and I completely failed . It was a mixture of the specimen paper too so it shows how tough physic exams are gonna be idk how to cope or how to use my time wisely. Thanks for your advice good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waiser)
    Learn all the maths. Its majority of the paper, just doing maths questions correctly in an ordinary physics paper will det you a D or C grade.
    that's the problem really you can't really learn maths I mean yess you can practice it but in physics you never know what the examiner will throw at you I can do the summary questions from textbooks but when it comes to exam questions I don't appear to even get a mark for long attempts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiakms)
    that's the problem really you can't really learn maths I mean yess you can practice it but in physics you never know what the examiner will throw at you I can do the summary questions from textbooks but when it comes to exam questions I don't appear to even get a mark for long attempts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well there is your problem, you need exam practice with mathematical questions. I always write all the formula i know that could relate first and then try substitute everything i know in. Write all the formulas that you are not given or you would like to learn in a different way on a paper and do maths questions using the formula book.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.