Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Frazzled progressive with cat at home in BG - ask me anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    BG = Bethnal Green

Frazzled = Trump / Brexit / Le Pen / Theresa bleauargghhhhhhhh!!!!

Progressive - in an age of despairing surrender to the forces of anti-science and religious bigotry. :sad:

Cat - happy. :bigsmile::woo::pika:

Home - yay.

AMA. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Do you intend to obtain more cats and truly embrace the crazy cat lady stereotype?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Do you intend to obtain more cats and truly embrace the crazy cat lady stereotype?
    Are you picturing tweeds and smells and hundreds of cats darting around and dishes with mould? :teehee:

One's fine and a handful!

Might be nice to have a dog though. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Can I have more details on the cat please?

Name, colour/markings?

Also - your views on Bethnal Green? I'm often in the area and can't work out whether I like it or not.

Have you been to Satan's Whiskers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Can I have more details on the cat please?

Name, colour/markings?

Also - your views on Bethnal Green? I'm often in the area and can't work out whether I like it or not.

Have you been to Satan's Whiskers?
    He's a French cat - his name is Orson. I don't think he's named after Orson Welles. He belonged to a former flatmate who couldn't take him with her when she left, so I kind of inherited him. He's black and white, (white chest and feet) temperamental, judgemental, highly strung, irritable but discerning and affectionate at unexpected moments - kind of like a lot of Frenchmen I guess.

Bethnal Green - kind of grows on you over time I think. I always have mixed views, because nowhere has everything, but it's very close to work right now which is great, it's not too far from town, it has a lot of cool things going on and it feels kind of good to live here. There are some difficult things, but I basically enjoy it a lot. I haven't been to that bar, I've heard it's good though. You?

ReputationRep:
    Few years ago you would claim I'm not going create an AMA thread. Yet here you are.

ReputationRep:
    If you were a chocolate bar, which one would you be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    Few years ago you would claim I'm not going create an AMA thread. Yet here you are.
    I don't remember saying that, did I? I think I did one or two before, maybe jokingly. I've been too busy to do very hands-on threads recently, but I'm stuck at home tonight and there are no new shows on Netflix that I'm interested in. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Have you got anything interesting/fun planned soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    If you were a chocolate bar, which one would you be?
    Ahhh. Great question. :awesome: I think I would be a long cool bar of somewhat refrigerated Belgian chocolate but maybe with a fondant centre - something a little minty. A hint of cinnamon.

ReputationRep:
    Bethnal Green sounds like the type of place that's really nice and posh but it's like the exact opposite lmao
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How can the democratic party in the US and labour party in the UK restructure themselves so as to have a reasonable chance at success in their country's next GE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ahhh. Great question. :awesome: I think I would be a long cool bar of somewhat refrigerated Belgian chocolate but maybe with a fondant centre - something a little minty. A hint of cinnamon.
    What a very interesting flavour pairing. Especially for a Belgian chocolate?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I haven't been to that bar, I've heard it's good though. You?
    Walked passed it and thought it looked cool. I'll visit one day - I might include it in my tour of East End bars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MachinesCradle)
    Have you got anything interesting/fun planned soon?
    I'm going to Berlin soon, I love Berlin, so that will be great - going to be with some friends and do nice, restful things. At the weekend I'm trying a new restaurant with a friend who is involved in running it, which will be nice. I am visiting my Dad in Luxembourg after Berlin and looking forward to that incredibly, as I haven't seen him for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Bethnal Green sounds like the type of place that's really nice and posh but it's like the exact opposite lmao
    I don't know about 'posh' -many people think of large council estates and mainly Asian populations. There's obviously a hipster element in more recent years, but the reality on the ground is it's very mixed and there is a preponderance of people from less well off backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know this guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    How can the democratic party in the US and labour party in the UK restructure themselves so as to have a reasonable chance at success in their country's next GE?
    I think both parties need to find new, younger, more charismatic leaders who look like leaders and can act boldly and decisively, as well as be in tune with the popular revolt that has been channelled misleadingly by the right to support neo-fascist causes. This will be difficult because the leaderships of both parties (and of social democrats across the west) need to be moved aside, but the replacements need to be smart, streetwise and savvy, three things that one cannot remotely apply to (for example) Jeremy.

There's also a huge need to reunite working class people with middle class progressives and that's a key difficulty. Nobody has the one answer to that, I think the solution lies in hundreds of little pieces of solution coming together. A starting point is to recognise this split and that working class people are furious but will not come to the progressives if they don't look like they care or get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasminder1994)
    Do you know this guy?

He is Donald Greenshouter from Dogville, Iowa and he now has his own show on cable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MachinesCradle)
    Berlin was so fun. One of my friends thought a painted egg was chocolate and started eating it in front of all the shoppers, and two nude men ran into a fountain.

Pardon me...just having a nostalgia moment. Enjoy yourself!
    Lol, that's lovely. Berlin is so covered in chocolate! It's like a huge chocolate mountain with little lego buildings and people hiding in between the piles of chocolate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.