Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who has been your biggest source of support? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Today is Time to Talk Day 2017, so let's talk about mental health!

Deyesy has a fantastic thread up on experiences of talking about MH, but who has been your biggest source of support for mental health, and what have they done to deserve that title?

It's difficult to reach out to people, but it's often very worthwhile doing so, especially if your friends and family are understanding and able to offer help where they can. So let's try and share some positive examples of support we've had!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My old therapist Dr Gardener, he was absolutely amazing and really helped, shame he left though :/

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound cheesy but TSR.

I genuinely thank you all

ReputationRep:
    Best friend. Therapist although I haven't seen them in 3 years.

Dunno cos ppl change around too much, i.e people who did support me don't anymore for whatever reason
    probably my mum i guess although that is more of a mutual supporting cos i support her and she supports me
    tbh myself is probably my biggest supporter without sounding whatever cos after all im the only person who fully knows certain thing s about myself
    some ppl online are pretty awesome tho
    they know who they are.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a specific person in real life but there are people on here who I've befriended that I have been able to share my struggles with and we have been able to give each other support. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    That douche in my mirror.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by hezzlington)
    Not to sound cheesy but TSR.

I genuinely thank you all
    All I could think about while I was complaining to my friends about my stupid day..was to go home instead and talk to you guys about it on TSR. :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My wife. She first got me to go to a doctor, then got me to go to another doctor after the first was an incompetent *******, she has been there all the way through even when I've tried to break up with her she refused to give up on me. I love her so much and know I wouldn't be here today without her. Tomorrow she's coming to my psychologist appointment with me for extra support. She really goes above and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    My therapist and my online tribe.

I dunno if it makes me feel sad that none of those people are in my close circle or not. People around me try but they just want me to be better rather than sitting alongside me

ReputationRep:
    God. I pray and ask Him to let me never completely lose it and for Him to get me back on track when I do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend. He has been supportive of my issues since he first met me and is always making sure I take care of myself. I trust him 100% and he is the only person I am fully open with. He comes to every appointment he can for any of my stuff and just accepts it when I can't do something. I never need to explain myself to him.

My parents have also helped by supporting me financially and by helping me access and pay for treatments. And TSR is what first helped me to realise my issues and start to open up. It also gives me a bit of sense of purpose and helping others since I'm unable to really do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    My old psychiatric nurse and the friends I've met online
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My mum.

She wasn't there for me while I was growing up due to her own MH problems and I didn't really have a bond with her until I was an adult but she's more than made up for it now and she's my rock. She takes care of all my appts, my bills and is always there if I need to talk. I'm glad me and my mum had the chance to rebuild our relationship. It's helped both of us :yep: My partner has been great too

My cats deserve a mention too. The amount of comfort, companionship and love they give me is amazing. They are my reason for getting up every day :yep: and not just because they wake me up at stupid hours in the morning :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Friends, 2 in particular on TSR, you know who you are
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Definitely my girlfriend who is my rock :heart: also friends, my mum, personal tutor, and CBT therapist
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    MHSS for sure

That would have to be my CBT therapist. she was very understanding and didn't judge me. she was very supportive and helped me work on myself and how to better my situation. although my sessions have finished i still miss our conversations and if i ever have a relapse i am more than welcome to come back. if it wasn't for her i would not be here today.
    i have her to thank for helping me become a stronger person.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend. I love her to pieces

ReputationRep:
    The girl I love

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.