Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I need to start building up my core and my quads to improve my acceleration and strength. What sort of gym workouts would you guys recommend? If it helps, i play field hockey and its for that, so any sort of sprint work is also helpful. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    "building up" is a vague statement. If you mean build muscle and strength then front squats with proper form, (Core and glutes tight) are literally core and quad heaven.

If you mean build endurance/explosive power, incline treadmill sprints, box jump-sprints, anything that encorporates an explosive start, high intensity, and a rest period.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't lift then I'd recommend you start with a generic beginner strength programme (see the FAQ), you can think about doing something more specific once you have done this for a few months. Everyone needs to master the basics and get a half decent baseline level of strength across their whole body, you'd not be doing yourself a huge favour by doing front squats, getting good core and quad strength but having a relatively weak upper body.

I would say, most beginner programmes are quite squat heavy which is good for your leg and core strength but once the weight starts to feel like a real effort(you start lighter to learn technique) then combined with hockey you may find your legs aren't getting enough rest and you need to tweak it. But you'll know about it if that happens and don't confuses that with initial DOMS

ReputationRep:
    Around what weights should i be starting at (and reps? about 10-12?)? Also, any tutorials you recommend to see what form is ideal? I dont lift much currently, but i do pushups/ situps/ spiderman plank crunches and all. Essentially, exercises not involving too much weight.

Also, building strength/muscle, not endurance as much.

ReputationRep:
    FattyHater BKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123chem)
    Around what weights should i be starting at (and reps? about 10-12?)? Also, any tutorials you recommend to see what form is ideal? I dont lift much currently, but i do pushups/ situps/ spiderman plank crunches and all. Essentially, exercises not involving too much weight.

Also, building strength/muscle, not endurance as much.
    The general rule of thumb is lower weight and higher reps are more efficient in building muscle mass, and higher weight and lower reps are more efficient in building strength. So start with just the bar and go from there according to your own goals.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't answer before because if you read the FAQ and pick a programme, look into it and it will tell you

ReputationRep:
    do push presses and squats

ReputationRep:
    Watch every YouTube video possible on beginner workout plans and correct form videos.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.