Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In my school we have subject group chats in order to share homework, revise etc.
    However obviously we talk more than just about homework and sometimes there are arguments and other things...
    It seems that everytime I get into an argument with someone they attack me using all sorts of stupid insults such as retarded, ******* etc all of which I'm not, and then their friends join in to back them. Whereas my 'friends' just look or even send laughing emojis. Today a friend even wanted to send an embarrassing screenshot of me in the chat so they could make fun of me further.
    Tbh, I'm getting tired of my school life in general and spend most of my time in the library and try to leave school ASAP when my lessons are over. It's just annoying to know that after 7 years no one really has my 'back' and allows for me to be teased by bullies in my year. This may sound ridiculous as we are in sixth form but it's how I feel.
    Any advice on what to do? It best I just stick to myself and focus on my A Levels or am I overreacting?
    (This has happened numerous times btw, and the next day my friends come into school saying "The chat was so funny last night")
    Thanks

Just to add, when my friends get teased I'm always there jumping in to defend them. I guess people may assume I'm playing along but it actually hurts that at 16 I'm still getting ridiculed by my class mates with the most ridiculous insults

I don't think you should take it too personally, if your friends told you that they thought the chat was funny then it seems like they don't know you're actually getting offended by it. Maybe take them to the side and them how you really feel? Then you can see if there's an improvement.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think you should take it too personally, if your friends told you that they thought the chat was funny then it seems like they don't know you're actually getting offended by it. Maybe take them to the side and them how you really feel? Then you can see if there's an improvement.
    Yeah in my friendship group chat I'm telling them to stop but they still continue, it seems like my "friends" are egging them on by sending embarassing pics and screenshots. I'm just hating school more and more because I feel I don't have any proper friends
    • Political Ambassador

These are the friendships of today. Superficial and immature. Lol.

Try to find proper friends who won't treat you like these *******s do, you have the power to change this situation. The decision is yours.

Yeah in my friendship group chat I'm telling them to stop but they still continue, it seems like my "friends" are egging them on by sending embarassing pics and screenshots. I'm just hating school more and more because I feel I don't have any proper friends
    Nah don't tell them by chat, no one can ever tell how serious one is over the screen, tell them face to face. This 'humour' is becoming more and common, I've been guilty myself of over-roasting friends on chats, but I would never type another letter against their name if they approached me and told me to seriously stop.

Nah don't tell them by chat, no one can ever tell how serious one is over the screen, tell them face to face. This 'humour' is becoming more and common, I've been guilty myself of over-roasting friends on chats, but I would never type another letter against their name if they approached me and told me to seriously stop.
    I guess so but there are certain things I would never say online or offline, not about the keyboard warrior life.
    For instance today I was called "AIDS" 🙃 And my friend did the funky reply thing on whatsapp quoting "preachhhh 🙌🏻"in a chat of about 30 students who I'm gonna be seeing at 9am tomorrow 🙄

I guess so but there are certain things I would never say online or offline, not about the keyboard warrior life.
    For instance today I was called "AIDS" 🙃 And my friend did the funky reply thing on whatsapp quoting "preachhhh 🙌🏻"in a chat of about 30 students who I'm gonna be seeing at 9am tomorrow 🙄
    You should see some of the roasts on other chats if you think that's bad hahaha, but that still doesn't meant it's acceptable if you find it hurtful. Straight up tell them you don't mind a joke or two, once a while at your expense, but things are getting out of hand.

ReputationRep:
    In my school we have subject group chats in order to share homework, revise etc.
    However obviously we talk more than just about homework and sometimes there are arguments and other things...
    It seems that everytime I get into an argument with someone they attack me using all sorts of stupid insults such as retarded, ******* etc all of which I'm not, and then their friends join in to back them. Whereas my 'friends' just look or even send laughing emojis. Today a friend even wanted to send an embarrassing screenshot of me in the chat so they could make fun of me further.
    Tbh, I'm getting tired of my school life in general and spend most of my time in the library and try to leave school ASAP when my lessons are over. It's just annoying to know that after 7 years no one really has my 'back' and allows for me to be teased by bullies in my year. This may sound ridiculous as we are in sixth form but it's how I feel.
    Any advice on what to do? It best I just stick to myself and focus on my A Levels or am I overreacting?
    (This has happened numerous times btw, and the next day my friends come into school saying "The chat was so funny last night"
    Thanks
    It is always the brightest, most interesting people who get bullied in high school. When you leave, the tables will turn.

The bullies and the cowards will go on to have the most boring, mundane lives, and they won't have many friends. The ones who get bullied in high school usually go on to have the more interesting lives, making lots of interesting friends as they go. Trust me on this one. Be true to yourself and don't lower yourself to their standards - and you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Been in a similar situation -as above, try telling them in person that the occasional jokes are alright, but this has exceeded the limits. You aren't finding it funny. If they don't take heed, drop them. They aren't real.

With time, you'll make true friends. Friends who don't judge, stick by your side when the going gets tough, and who genuinely care.
    They may be few and far between, but they are true gems.

Today the people in the subject group chat brought it up in the lesson and I unfortunately ended up having a shouting match with a boy and girl and the class joined in (the teacher is uncapable of controlling a class). I was trying to explain to them that what they were saying in the chat wasn't funny and it was borderline bullying. I'll find some way to attach the screenshots so you guys can see.
    Meanwhile whilst the 'bullies' were being backed by their mates my friends were busy giggling away as if it was a joke. They then proceeded after the lesson to spread it around in the common room and left me sitting on my own whilst they gossiped about me - I overheard wasn't just being paranoid. Then after tried to talk to me and walk with me after another lesson. I completely ignored them as I felt they had been so fake and had done this over an hour after the incident although we had a lesson together.
    Idk maybe they don't understand but I'm not a person to complain but I'm getting fed up of always being the punchline of jokes but I'm too old to be telling a teacher. Idek if I'm overreacting but it's my birthday next week and I'm in the right mind to uninvite them as not only have they egged on the insults but they have laughed and also not backed me once. If the shoe was on the other foot I would have backed them 150% and I always have and always will. I just feel it's out of order idek

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.