Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. To provide some context I'm studying architecture first year.
    I chose this uni because I thought it would be quite relaxed but this was not the case. However I only realised this now which is quite late. My course requires me to pass all my modules (3 in 1st semester, 3 in 2nd). I failed all 3 in the first semester, missing it by a few percentage points. Resits are possible but I am currently quite stressed out to whether they will allow it. I really don't want to repeat first year and was wondering if there could be anything done at this point to help my situation. I have spoken to my personal tutor and I am meeting her tomorrow, but in the meantime, has anyone or do you guys know of anyone in a similar position?
    Thanks...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Youd better hope your first year doesnt count twoards your degree proper. Your resits may very well be capped at 40%. Youd better get your act together and start undestanding why you arent performing and work hard to rectify the situation. I think repeating forst year is the least of your worries and much less important as to potentially failing your degree by being unable to cope with the course. See what your tutor has to say.
    Ask in the architecture forum.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't pass your resits then you will be reliant on the good will of the university to allow you to resit first year. They are not obliged to offer you entry into next year's cohort. Indeed, it may well depend on them having space as well.
    Having failed all three modules, you have to consider the possibility that this just isn't the right course for you. If you're adamant that it is, then maybe you need to consider that you are not right for this course. Not in your current state anyway.
    Intelligence only gets you through the door at university. It will not save you from failure. There are other people wanting a place in first year next year who are probably worth more of a punt than you at this stage. Your being offered a chance to redo the year will be dependent on you showing that you are willing to use the intelligence that got you through the door and put some effort in. Having failed three modules already, though, you may lack the base of understanding necessary to pull up the grades in the second semester. You're going to have to more than double your efforts this semester to make up for it.
    You need to be quite realistic about the options that are available to you going forward. You can't rely on your being offered a place next year. You are probably going to have to aim to pass resits and do as well as you can this semester in order to push through into next year. You have no mitigating circumstances that will convince the university to extend to you the benefit of the doubt. You are just going to have to get on with this one I think.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You can easily find out what happens in the case of resit failure by looking at the rules and procedures which will be on the website. Your tutor may ask you to consider whether you are up to the course at all. maybe they have the course with a foundation yar as an option and you would be better suited to that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.