Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a foreign student preparing for UK exams in maths and am confused by number formats I should use.

(1) In the US, my teacher sometimes considered my number 1 to be 7 as I used to write a diagonal line, which is not normally used in the US (see below). How are these digits, as well as 4, normally written in the UK?
    Name:  Digits2.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  13.9 KB

(2) In my language, we never say 'and' in long numbers, which is opposite in English. If 1,234,567 is pronounced as 'one million, two hundred and thirty-four thousand, five hundred and sixty-seven' (i.e. 'and' is not used between units and thousands, thousands and millions, etc.), how to pronounce long numbers containing zeros correctly, e.g.:

• 12,005 = twelve thousand (and?) five
    • 12,050 = twelve thousand (and?) fifty
    • 12,500 = twelve thousand (and?) five hundred.

(3) Is it the correct notation for recurring decimals in the UK?

1.22345634563456...=1.22\dot{3}4  5\dot{6}

How is this number normally pronounced, 'one point two two (and?) three four five six repeating / repeated / recurring / recurred / into infinity'?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Fortesque)
    I am a foreign student preparing for UK exams in maths and am confused by number formats I should use.

(1) In the US, my teacher sometimes considered my number 1 to be 7 as I used to write a diagonal line, which is not normally used in the US (see below). How are these digits, as well as 4, normally written in the UK?

(2) In my language, we never say 'and' in long numbers, which is opposite in English. If 1,234,567 is pronounced as 'one million, two hundred and thirty-four thousand, five hundred and sixty-seven' (i.e. 'and' is not used between units and thousands, thousands and millions, etc.), how to pronounce long numbers containing zeros correctly, e.g.:

How is this number normally pronounced, 'one point two two (and?) three four five six repeating / repeated / recurring / recurred / into infinity'?
    I have a polish friend who writes her ones just like you!! She's been told to be really careful in exams to make sure they don't look like sevens - either get into the habit of just drawing a vertical line or start adding a horizontal line on the bottom to make sure they know you mean a one and not a seven. If it helps, crossing your sevens may be another good way of distinguishing.

There's nothing wrong with your number 4, you can definitely write them like that

As for the "and" in numbers with zeros, your first two are correct and we would say "and" there. However "12,500" would just be said "twelve thousand, five hundred" - no "and" in that one. Not sure why though!!

Yes, we definitely use recurring decimals here. And yup that notation is correct I have no idea how it would be pronounced since more than one digit repeats, but I have a feeling it'd be something along the lines of "one point two two three recurring four five six recurring" - just to show which numbers are repeated exactly.

Hope I helped you, and good luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, NiamhM1801, for your answers!

(Original post by NiamhM1801)
    I have a polish friend who writes her ones just like you!! She's been told to be really careful in exams to make sure they don't look like sevens - either get into the habit of just drawing a vertical line or start adding a horizontal line on the bottom to make sure they know you mean a one and not a seven. If it helps, crossing your sevens may be another good way of distinguishing.
    So if I understood you correctly,
    (1) 'one' and 'seven' are normally written in the UK as in the US: 'one' = a vertical line only, 'seven' = a horizontal and a diagonal lines;
    (2) writing 'seven' with an additional crossing line is also acceptable on maths exams.

Is that correct?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  1-0.png
Views: 36
Size:  1.6 KB
    That's how I write my numbers, hope that's of some help to you. (apologies, it's been done in paint with a mouse, but probably neater than my handwriting.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you, NiamhM1801, for your answers!

So if I understood you correctly,
    (1) 'one' and 'seven' are normally written in the UK as in the US: 'one' = a vertical line only, 'seven' = a horizontal and a diagonal lines;
    (2) writing 'seven' with an additional crossing line is also acceptable on maths exams.

Is that correct?
    No problem! Yep, that's correct

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you! Then I will write 'one' as a vertical line and 'seven' with a crossing line so that even the strictest examiner understands them properly.

Can anyone comment on pronouncing recurring decimals and using 'and' in long numbers?

ReputationRep:
    In my language, we never say 'and' in long numbers, which is opposite in English. If 1,234,567 is pronounced as 'one million, two hundred and thirty-four thousand, five hundred and sixty-seven' (i.e. 'and' is not used between units and thousands, thousands and millions, etc.), how to pronounce long numbers containing zeros correctly, e.g.:

The British use "and" in those cases (edited to exclude " and five hundred"), but Americans miss it out.

I write my sevens like Tubbz, above, to make sure it is not confused for a one, and use a similar cross on z, to distinguish it from a two, which is essentially copied from French usage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

• 12,005 = twelve thousand and five
    • 12,050 = twelve thousand and fifty
    • 12,500 = twelve thousand, five hundred. (for anything non-mathematical, twelve 'n' half thousand, but that's colloquial)

Would be my pronunciation

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all. I see that 'and' is used before the last number in every group of three digits except for the case when the last number represents hundreds, like in 12,500.

Can someone advise on correct pronunciation of that recurring decimal?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.