Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hill starts on manual transmission? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have failed my driving test twice now because of the hill start. Usually at a hill, I was taught the pull up the handbrake, press on the gas till it reaches about 3000 on the rpm then slowly release the clutch and release handbrake. I have always done hill starts perfectly during practices. Its just that I always seem to mess up during my test.

When i do hill starts, I always look at the rev counter to tell if my clutch is at the biting point because In my country, the cars used in driving centers and tests are quite old and not in the best conditions. So the engine sounds a bit wonky and I cannot really distinguish the change in engine sound when you reach the biting point. That is why once I see the rpm drop I would release the handbrake immediately. However in my driving test when I did so my car just rolled back even though everything went flawlessly during practice. Me being extremely nervous also probably didn't help. I feel tensed all the time during the exam that I feel I mess things up because of my nerves.

so what should I do to improve my hill start and what went wrong in my test and why did my car rolled back down even when I saw my rpm started dropping?

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen for a change in engine sound to see where the biting point is. You should be able to feel it with your foot. Also, if you were on a level surface and were trying to find the biting point, you would see the bonnet move. Maybe try this a few times and get used to the distance you need to lift your foot to get the biting point.

Are you driving the same car each time?

ReputationRep:
    Just become absolutely familiar with where your bite is and use all the sensory input you can, like when the front of the car dips, the vibrations of the car, the sound, the rev counter. A good drill is to just sit on a hill and attempt to keep the car stationary for about 5-8 seconds without using the brakes, then handbrake on and repeat after 10-20 seconds to let the clutch cool down. Other than that, all you can really do is just keeping practising.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    you need to learn the car, there are some cars I've driven that can easily do a hill start just by pulling up the clutch, others on big hills can need more than 3k rpm. Learn the biting point and practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowpowwwx3)
    So I have failed my driving test twice now because of the hill start. Usually at a hill, I was taught the pull up the handbrake, press on the gas till it reaches about 3000 on the rpm then slowly release the clutch and release handbrake. I have always done hill starts perfectly during practices. Its just that I always seem to mess up during my test.

When i do hill starts, I always look at the rev counter to tell if my clutch is at the biting point because In my country, the cars used in driving centers and tests are quite old and not in the best conditions. So the engine sounds a bit wonky and I cannot really distinguish the change in engine sound when you reach the biting point. That is why once I see the rpm drop I would release the handbrake immediately. However in my driving test when I did so my car just rolled back even though everything went flawlessly during practice. Me being extremely nervous also probably didn't help. I feel tensed all the time during the exam that I feel I mess things up because of my nerves.

so what should I do to improve my hill start and what went wrong in my test and why did my car rolled back down even when I saw my rpm started dropping?
    The biting point isnt the same for every car, also you don't need to look at the rev counter, you should easily be able to feel it by the front of the car trying to lift up, just don't feel nervous and practice makes perfect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.