Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So im heavily debating staffs and buckinghamshire new uni, staffs is definatly better for my course but i have heard some bad things about it so i have a few questions about it.

The first is that i have heard that the ratio of boys to girls is ridiculous, supposedly their are way too many guys, is this true?

The second is what is the night life like? Many people have complained about the lack of clubs out, is it really that bad?

What you say the campus and people are their like, Stoke has a bit of a rep for being dodgy but is the campus like that too?

Thanks in advance
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Pick the uni based on the course. How does it matter how many girls or boys there are? Have a look at info about the city and student life to get some idea of what it's like and see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students.

ReputationRep:
    This website seems to indicate it is 50/50...
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...staffordshire/

But I have heard stoke and staffordshire (the main 2 campuses i think) have a different amount of girls and boys due to different course placements at the uni. I know the games courses have moved to stoke on trent. Where did you hear this from? And you're right it something that would be annoying. Mixing with girls and boys is great at university... a lot of people date etc... if the campus really is mostly guys that would suck.

If you read that on a forum site or article pre 2016 it may be true about the boys:girls... to quote wiki ''staffordshire University have closed the Stafford campus, moving the students to Stoke-on-Trent - although the Blackheath Lane site will remain.'' ... Stafford had predominately female popular courses like midwifery. I know the games courses have moved but i'm not sure about the others.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rudders-ahrt)
    So im heavily debating staffs and buckinghamshire new uni, staffs is definatly better for my course but i have heard some bad things about it so i have a few questions about it.

The first is that i have heard that the ratio of boys to girls is ridiculous, supposedly their are way too many guys, is this true?

The second is what is the night life like? Many people have complained about the lack of clubs out, is it really that bad?

What you say the campus and people are their like, Stoke has a bit of a rep for being dodgy but is the campus like that too?

Thanks in advance
    Hey there! I'm a current 3rd year at Staffs, and I reckon I could help out with some of your questions.

When the university was split between two campuses (Stoke and Stafford), there was a high proportion of guys compared to girls over at Stafford, which was primarily computing and engineering based courses. Now they have moved over to the single campus in Stoke, where their is more of a gender balance. Are you doing that kind of course?

There is a Student Union run nightclub on campus, where they have the regular nights on a Friday (with fortnightly guest DJs/Bands) and Wednesdays where they have themed/fancy dress events and a bit more cheesy music (my not so guilty please being 80's music and dressing up, I prefer Wednesday nights 😄) There are also plenty of clubs that are a 5 minute taxi ride away, with different genres of music for different interests.

In my experience the campus has always been a safe and welcoming place, and there is no need to worry about anything 'dodgy' happening. The union and university work closely with the local police force, and have a good security team, if they are ever needed.

If you have any other questions, let me know, and I hope this helped 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rudders-ahrt)

Thanks in advance
    Hi, I'm Alex and im a current student at staffs. First let me just start by saying that I love it here.
    In answer to your first question I would say generally there is a pretty even split of boys to girls at staffs. I'm sure there are more of some than the other on some courses but that will be the same wherever you go as it will be the subject not the uni.
    Second the night life at staffs is quite busy. Monday is student night in hanley which is the main town in Stoke and that has many different clubs and bars with different styles depending on what your preference is. Tuesday is kareoke night at ember lounge which is the on-campus bar/pub. Wednesday is gobble at the LRV which is our on campus nightclub and there are often themes for the night which add some fun although they are not compulsory if it's not your thing. Friday is mucky night at the LRV again. And of course the night clubs and bars in hanley are open other nights as well. So there is plenty going on for night life here.
    Third, I heard some things about dodgy people here before I come here and I have now been here a year and a half and have never had a problem. I feel completely safe on and around campus. It is pretty much like anywhere else you go, just be sensible and you will be fine so please don't worry about it.
    I hope this has helped you decide and I hope you enjoy your time at university. I can honestly say coming to uni at staffs is the best decision I ever made.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.