Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to change my middle name, and then use my THAT name as a prefferred name.

How can I do that? Does it sound stupid?

ReputationRep:
    https://deedpolloffice.com/change-name might point you in the right direction.

I wouldn't say it is stupid - it might be a bit of a hassle, but in the end, if you want to do it, why not.

ReputationRep:
    You could just use your middle name and then keep the same legal name to avoid hassle.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't sound stupid! I'm working on changing my first name, and changing my current middle name to my current first name (so it doesn't weird people out that my family call me something else, I can just say 'its my middle name!')

you basically need to get a deed poll, but i'd spend time getting used to your preferred name before you do it legally

(Original post by kuroskye)
    I would like to change my middle name, and then use my THAT name as a prefferred name.

How can I do that? Does it sound stupid?
    I changed my last name from my dad's to my mums when I turned 18. I didn't use deed poll though but the way I did it actually resulted in me being sent a new birth certificate with my new name on it. This meant I was actually able to use the name and for anyone who saw my birth certificate, it just looked like it had always been my name. I liked this because it avoided the awkward conversation about why I ditched my dad's surname.

I went to my local General Register Office and got a name change form, got it signed by a solicitor and sent it away along with my old birth certificate. I was then send back my voided old birth certificate, and a new one with my new name on it.

This was in Northern Ireland.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.