Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to see/visit/experience in Edinburgh and Manchester Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm visiting Edinburgh in the spring (flying all the way from Asia), spending about 7 to 8 days there, and I'd love to know any locals'/students' recommended places to sight-see, visit or just generally waste my time at. My parents are coming along, so please, no 'special' entertainment.

I only have a full day in Manchester before I fly off the next morning back home.

That's about it, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    MOSI is a great visit, Manchester Museum is really cool too

ReputationRep:
    In Edinburgh, I'd recommend the castle, Arthur's Seat and Holyrood Palace. There are also 'ghost tours' you can do which show you around some of the city's hidden vaults. If you're going to be there for 7/8 days, I'd probably look into exploring the Highlands for some of the time as well. If you wanted an organised tour, there were plenty leaving from Edinburgh.

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions just let me know

ReputationRep:
    Those cities are alreyt, but they are not as good as the best city in the worlds, Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Those cities are alreyt, but they are not as good as the best city in the worlds, Sheffield.
    I might just make it my next destination to visit if you would just give us a hint or two...

ReputationRep:
    I visited Edinburgh last year for the first time, my favourite visit was the royal yacht britannia (which isn't really anything to do with the city itself other than being based there). It's fascinating to see what it was like inside and on board. Arthurs seat and those surrounding vantage points make for fantastic hikes with great views at the end. Likewise calton hill, which imo offered the most romantic view of the old town. The museum of edinburgh was good, free entry, and near the holyrood palace.

I confess to finding central edinburgh a bit too busy/congested and toursity, however the old town does conjure up a bit of romance from certain vantage points. I instanly thought of the depiction of hogwarts at times, and of course jk rowling is from the city, so I can see where she got her inspiration. Also it's history struck me as being very practical, often relating to science/learning etc
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Both are great cities I spent a lot of time in both.

For Edinburgh, there's some many places I recommend you visit. If you like history then I would recommend the castle but beware, it is expensive and tbh, not much different from any other castles you may have been to but if you want to a really touristy thing while you're there, then the castle is a must. As is the Royal Mile, Canongate and Arthur's Seat.

Camera Obscura is next to the castle and to me, that is my favourite Edinburgh attraction. It's full of optical illusions and it makes for a fun day out and some memorable pictures. Be sure to try the Vortex if you! there's also very great views from the top of Camera Obscura.

If you are a cat person then I can't recommend Maison De Moggy enough. It's a cat cafe and they have real life cats inside for you to clap and play with :love: all the proceeds go towards cat care and local animal shelters as well. The staff are lovely and very laid back and nice to talk to.

If you have a full day to kill in Edinburgh then I recommend going to the National Museum. They have exhibitions to suit everyones tastes. Across the road from the museum you have Greyfriar's Kirk which is nice to walk through.

Edinburgh Dungeon is good if you're with a group of people and looking for a fun and cheesy day out

As for Manchester, the Arndale is my favourite thing :love: if you love shopping then this place will be like heaven but even if you don't like shopping, there are plenty of tech shops, food places and the Printworks across the road from it.

I also recommend the Manchester science museum if you manage to ever get outside of Manchester city centre, there's a brilliant farm park in Bolton called Smithills Farm Park. I went there a couple of months ago and it's the best day out I've ever had. We went on a week day so there wasn't many people there and we got to feed the animals, hold them and I even held a snake for the first time :teehee: can't recommend that place enough :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some places of interest in Edinburgh:

Arthur's Seat
    Calton Hill
    Edinburgh Castle
    National Art Gallery
    Botanic Gardens (however much nicer in Summer)
    Camera Obscura
    Musuem of Childhood

If you have money and want to treat your parents to something special...then I highly recommend booking afternoon tea at the Balmoral Hotel. The Balmoral is Edinburgh's most famous hotel and where JK Rowling wrote one her her HP books.

And lunch or dinner at the Witchery's secret garden. The Witchery is a hotel with a famous restaurant. Named after the fact that they used to burn witches nearby. Quite expensive but these two are unmissable places I take my friends whenever they visit Edinburgh, and they are always in awe .

Both are very popular with tourists and locals alike.
    https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hot...rs/palm-court/
    http://thewitchery.com/dine/secret-garden
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    if you manage to ever get outside of Manchester city centre, there's a brilliant farm park in Bolton called Smithills Farm Park. I went there a couple of months ago and it's the best day out I've ever had. We went on a week day so there wasn't many people there and we got to feed the animals, hold them and I even held a snake for the first time :teehee: can't recommend that place enough :yep:
    The downside? You have to go to Bolton :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys/gals!

(Original post by Gofre)
    The downside? You have to go to Bolton :ahee:
    Mind letting me in on the joke?

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Both are great cities I spent a lot of time in both.

For Edinburgh, there's some many places I recommend you visit. If you like history then I would recommend the castle but beware, it is expensive and tbh, not much different from any other castles you may have been to but if you want to a really touristy thing while you're there, then the castle is a must. As is the Royal Mile, Canongate and Arthur's Seat.

Camera Obscura is next to the castle and to me, that is my favourite Edinburgh attraction. It's full of optical illusions and it makes for a fun day out and some memorable pictures. Be sure to try the Vortex if you! there's also very great views from the top of Camera Obscura.

If you are a cat person then I can't recommend Maison De Moggy enough. It's a cat cafe and they have real life cats inside for you to clap and play with :love: all the proceeds go towards cat care and local animal shelters as well. The staff are lovely and very laid back and nice to talk to.

If you have a full day to kill in Edinburgh then I recommend going to the National Museum. They have exhibitions to suit everyones tastes. Across the road from the museum you have Greyfriar's Kirk which is nice to walk through.

Edinburgh Dungeon is good if you're with a group of people and looking for a fun and cheesy day out

As for Manchester, the Arndale is my favourite thing :love: if you love shopping then this place will be like heaven but even if you don't like shopping, there are plenty of tech shops, food places and the Printworks across the road from it.

I also recommend the Manchester science museum if you manage to ever get outside of Manchester city centre, there's a brilliant farm park in Bolton called Smithills Farm Park. I went there a couple of months ago and it's the best day out I've ever had. We went on a week day so there wasn't many people there and we got to feed the animals, hold them and I even held a snake for the first time :teehee: can't recommend that place enough :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for the cat cafe recommendation! I'll be looking forward to comparing it to the cat cafes in Tokyo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattimias)
    The joke is that Bolton isn't very nice so going there is the downside.

No idea if it is or not btw, I've never been.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattimias)
    Bolton's just a bit of a s**thole! I've heard good things about the place they mentioned though, and it's outside of the main town that's the rubbish bit :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.