Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm in year nine, and I get very sick, very often. I have severe anemia and vitamin D definceny that hasn't gotten better the past few years (I've had it since I was eleven). This has led to a lot of problems, including me not being about to go to school, maybe one to three times a month I can't attend school, as my blood count can go very low and I'll faint, and most recently, I've had severe back pain that apparently could be linked to my kidneys. As a result, I haven't been in almost all week- but I literally can't move! I need assistance to get out of bed. My school, as you could imagine, doesn't believe me, even though we supplied them doctors notes, and a booklet detailing my conditions. Another thing is, they count one day as two, one for the morning and one for the afternoon, presumably to earn more money? Either way, I'm one of the best students they have (it's not a very good school) and they KNOW I'm chronically sick. But they being so persistent and serious with it is scaring me, as if they don't know- I'm going to be moving schools soon anyways, but can anyone give me some advice or reassurance of how to deal with them? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty normal for schools to split the day into two sessions so they can record absence accurately without penalising people who make the effort to come in for part of the day. It also won't make your attendance record any worse.

Schools are under a lot of pressure over attendance - that said if you can supply proof of a genuine medical condition then they should be working with you and trying to make sure they give you work to catch up on and so on.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by JoanAdegbiji)
    Hi!
    I'm in year nine, and I get very sick, very often. I have severe anemia and vitamin D definceny that hasn't gotten better the past few years (I've had it since I was eleven). This has led to a lot of problems, including me not being about to go to school, maybe one to three times a month I can't attend school, as my blood count can go very low and I'll faint, and most recently, I've had severe back pain that apparently could be linked to my kidneys. As a result, I haven't been in almost all week- but I literally can't move! I need assistance to get out of bed. My school, as you could imagine, doesn't believe me, even though we supplied them doctors notes, and a booklet detailing my conditions. Another thing is, they count one day as two, one for the morning and one for the afternoon, presumably to earn more money? Either way, I'm one of the best students they have (it's not a very good school) and they KNOW I'm chronically sick. But they being so persistent and serious with it is scaring me, as if they don't know- I'm going to be moving schools soon anyways, but can anyone give me some advice or reassurance of how to deal with them? Thank you!
    It doesn't sound a very good school, I feel like they should be offering you support not antagonising you like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.