Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Desktop + tablet or 2 in 1 laptop + external monitor + accesories Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

Currently I use a laptop at school and a desktop when i'm at home using onedrive to keep everything together.

I really want to get a touchscreen device for note taking during lectures and but I like having a big screen for working and just a monitor and keyboard takes less space on my desk than a Laptop does.

Anyone currently have a set up similar to what i'm considering?

would appreciate thoughts and advice

thanks,
    K

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever tried actually taking notes on a tablet with a stylus? I'd have a go at it first before planning on it being part of your workflow. I'm happier taking paper notes and digitising them.

I have all 3. So I do use my desktop when I get home, and my 2-in-1 for college. And I do reading and games on my tablet.

I don't think I could make do in class with just the tablet, I need a laptop and I am so used to touch screen I can't live with a none touch screen laptop. It being detachable is handy for taking my work to show someone.

So my advice is a touch screen laptop, detachable is handy as well. But I advise against only having a desktop and a tablet, it's too big a compromise to only have a tablet for portability.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is really a personal thing that you need to weigh up for yourself. You need to look at all the individual factors and decide if it is worth it.

Desktops will get you laptop performance at a lower price (or they will outclass a similarly priced laptop, whichever way you want to look at it)

Tablets (by which I assume you mean Android or iPad) will not compete with a desktop or laptop for getting real work done

High end tablets (which basically means Surface Pro) can compete with a laptop in some regards. However things like battery or power they generally lose out

Desktops are more practical than laptops for getting work done at home

Laptops are more practical than desktops for getting work done on the go

The list goes on. You need to look at what you really need or want and go from there. I personally could get by on my course with nothing but a laptop (forensic computing course). Having asecond monitor is nice but is also not quite the same as having a desktop. For gaming, content creation and so on I need my desktop. I have my tablet at uni but do not use it at all.

If money were no object and I had the choice I'd be running with my desktop for the majority of my work and either a Surface Pro 4 or the Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 as a portable device. As far as taking notes digitally goes, that's really a matter of personal preference. Make sure you actually want to do it before you commit. I purchased my tablet a few years ago thinking it'd be useful for taking notes in class. Writing on it is frankly horrible compared to pen and paper. I've tried some newer solutions and while many are good, I'd still massively prefer pen and paper. In terms of benefit, I remember things better when I write hand notes and convert them later.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice,

I was considering getting a surface book with performance base so that covers the laptop being detachable and it has enough power for me to use on a daily basis (not really planning on running any high end games or content creation) I briefly used a Samsung 2-1 (I forget the name) as a loaner while my laptop was in the shop and loved the way I could take notes using one note and the stylus and the keyboard being there when I had a lot of typing to do as well.

I really appreciate your suggestions and I'll take these into account when I make my decision

Thank you
    -K
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thebrownsanta)
    Thank you for your advice,

I was considering getting a surface book with performance base so that covers the laptop being detachable and it has enough power for me to use on a daily basis (not really planning on running any high end games or content creation) I briefly used a Samsung 2-1 (I forget the name) as a loaner while my laptop was in the shop and loved the way I could take notes using one note and the stylus and the keyboard being there when I had a lot of typing to do as well.

I really appreciate your suggestions and I'll take these into account when I make my decision

Thank you
    -K
    Honestly I'm not a fan of the Surface Book right now. In a few years it'll be a good device but it's not amazing right now. It's incredibly expensive for what you get spec wise and unless battery life has been improved it simply doesn't live that long.

If you aren't running games, doing content creation or some other high performance task you really don't need to worry about getting a performance base since you won't use the GPU. For everyday tasks (word processing, writing notes, streaming Netflix or YouTube and so on) a basic i3 processor and 8GB of RAM usually suffices, you'd certainly never need to go more than an i5 for basic tasks. This means the GPU would just be eating up money and power when you aren't getting any use out of it. Also worth mentioning is the high res screen. Again, you aren't going to benefit massively from having a 3000x2000 display so it'll just be eating battery life. On the other hand 3:2 aspect ration is basically A4 paper which makes it good for taking notes.

I was going to say that a Pro would be better than the Book but on comparing prices they come out nearly the same. The i5, 8GB of RAM Pro is a little under £1100 while the Book comes to £1300. After you buy a type cover for the Pro there's only around £100-150 difference. Considering the Book offers more battery life and better functionality as a laptop you might as well go for the Book. That said I don't think the Book is as good as it could be and there are plenty of alternatives that may work out cheaper or better in some other ways. I'm not necessarily suggesting this but the Lenovo Yoga linked below offers better specs at a lower price. The only real difference is the 2 in 1 functionality rather than 2 in 1 detachable

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...55105-pdt.html

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.