The Student Room Group

Turning down a place at medical school to try again next year

I applied to four medical schools this year and got interviews at three of them. But since I put my application in I have a bit gone off one of the three schools where I am being interviewed. I had thought that if I got an offer only from the school that I have gone off that I might turn down the offer and try again next year. However, I have been told that if you are offered a place at any medical school in the UK and turn the offer down all other UK medical schools will reject a subsequent application from you. Is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddyx
I applied to four medical schools this year and got interviews at three of them. But since I put my application in I have a bit gone off one of the three schools where I am being interviewed. I had thought that if I got an offer only from the school that I have gone off that I might turn down the offer and try again next year. However, I have been told that if you are offered a place at any medical school in the UK and turn the offer down all other UK medical schools will reject a subsequent application from you. Is this true?

I'd say go for it, dont lose this chance or another year pick one uni that accepted you and start your degree in medicine even if it's not your ideal medical school, you'll be fine :cool: on my side I can tell u I'm not picky about it, I'll apply in September at Leicester, East anglia, Kings college, St George and Brighton :smile: I'm open to accept every option

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Reply 2
Original post by fennec
I'd say go for it, dont lose this chance or another year pick one uni that accepted you and start your degree in medicine even if it's not your ideal medical school, you'll be fine :cool: on my side I can tell u I'm not picky about it, I'll apply in September at Leicester, East anglia, Kings college, St George and Brighton :smile: I'm open to accept every option

You can only apply to 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by issyd10
You can only apply to 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

First on UCAS it says 4 than 5 but I guess it's been a mistake I still got time to remove one from my list but thanks ☺

Original post by fennec
First on UCAS it says 4 than 5 but I guess it's been a mistake I still got time to remove one from my list but thanks ☺

5 choices in total, 4 medical schools and one none-medicine choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You choose five courses on the UCAS form but only four can be medicine. The other needs to be something that makes sense in terms of your personal statement: Biomedical Sciences, for example. You can put something unrelated to medicine down (law, accountancy, etc) but the application will go in the bin when they see your Personal Statement which (presumably) says that you have thought of nothing but becoming a doctor since you first saw Casualty on the television when you were six years old.
Original post by paddyx
You choose five courses on the UCAS form but only four can be medicine. The other needs to be something that makes sense in terms of your personal statement: Biomedical Sciences, for example. You can put something unrelated to medicine down (law, accountancy, etc) but the application will go in the bin when they see your Personal Statement which (presumably) says that you have thought of nothing but becoming a doctor since you first saw Casualty on the television when you were six years old.

Unless you apply to London Met for Tourism and Management or something like that with your 5th choice :wink:

(not insulting London Met or anything but people have done it before and have gotten offers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Unless you apply to London Met for Tourism and Management or something like that with your 5th choice :wink:

(not insulting London Met or anything but people have done it before and have gotten offers)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol :eek:

Original post by fennec
Lol :eek:

:rofl: don't do it unless:

1. you are confident you will get a spot in a medical school

2. you have other choices elsewhere and won't study in the UK if you don't get into med school

3. you are just joking :rofl:
:rofl: don't do it unless:

1. you are confident you will get a spot in a medical school

2. you have other choices elsewhere and won't study in the UK if you don't get into med school

3. you are just joking :rofl:

1st option :wink:

Original post by fennec
1st option :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

then have fun :wink:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

then have fun :wink:

What's the problem with being self- confident? :confused: I know I will get in I got the vocation, I'm very ambitious and I have all the academic requirements needed of course I'm gonna enjoy it :cool:

Original post by fennec
What's the problem with being self- confident? :confused: I know I will get in I got the vocation, I'm very ambitious and I have all the academic requirements needed of course I'm gonna enjoy it :cool:

Nothing wrong with being self-confident tbh! being over-confident is an issue, being self-confident is not. If you have all the academic requirements then go ahead! :smile: Good luck! if you do decide to have a laugh and do that kind of thing for your 5th choice, tag me in :tongue:

If you have any questions about medical school choices and such just message me, I'll be glad to help :tongue: (decided against applying to medicine in the last moment but I took the UKCAT and everything :rofl:)
Nothing wrong with being self-confident tbh! being over-confident is an issue, being self-confident is not. If you have all the academic requirements then go ahead! :smile: Good luck! if you do decide to have a laugh and do that kind of thing for your 5th choice, tag me in :tongue:

If you have any questions about medical school choices and such just message me, I'll be glad to help :tongue: (decided against applying to medicine in the last moment but I took the UKCAT and everything :rofl:)

So what are u applying in? :confused: look at Kanye west he's the most self confidence person in the world and he doesn't give a **** what people say. He gets what he wants. That's the right state of mind :rolleyes:

Original post by fennec
So what are u applying in? :confused: look at Kanye west he's the most self confidence person in the world and he doesn't give a **** what people say. He gets what he wants. That's the right state of mind :rolleyes:

Not Medicine :tongue: (Human Sciences)

Hahahahaha my opinion of Kanye is not that great but respect him for his creativity.
Original post by paddyx

What do you mean "gone off"?
Not Medicine :tongue: (Human Sciences)

Hahahahaha my opinion of Kanye is not that great but respect him for his creativity.

Well enjoy human sciences lol

Original post by fennec
Well enjoy human sciences lol

Lol you too with medicine!
Maybe I will, maybe I will not :wink: we'll see! you never know where life will take you!

Spoiler

You're arguing with a kid who thought he could apply to 5 medical schools....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe I will, maybe I will not :wink: we'll see! you never know where life will take you!

Spoiler

I used to be like this at one point except with non-STEM subjects. "Only STEM degrees are worth doing."

Then you realise a degree in Latin and Greek can earn you a job in the City, gradually getting you a six-figure salary.

Quick Reply

Latest