Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Describe your day in an emoji Watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    :lmao::heart:

Are they smileys because they move? Or is emoji only applicable when you refer to the specific emoji range?
    Emoji are available in Unicode - they're basic symbols that are displayed differently depending on what phone/browser/messaging service you're using. As opposed to the TSR smileys, which are just image files, and look the same on any device. :yes:

(Original post by Paracosm)
    AngryJellyfish™ - putting the Angry in Jellyfish since 1842™. :laugh:
    :proud:

ReputationRep:
    It's my birthday so.......

:awesome:? Or maybe... :woo:... maybe :party:? :beard: Decisions, decisions...

ReputationRep:
    This morning I was pretty :coffee:

But now I'm feeling more :juggle: cos I got loads of stuff to do

Also :eating: because I want it to be lunchtime!

Spoiler:
    Show

This is a silly thread but I never get tired of scrolling through that smiley list

You said the magic time!
    Got an 18-pack of diet coke, two four pax of doughnuts and chocolate bars in me bag!

ReputationRep:
    sum gud limerik akshun

:smug:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    Emoji - a small digital image or icon used to express an idea or emotion in electronic communication.

Spoiler:
    Show

REKT

Wikipedia says they're different. :eviltongue:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    The above are all 'Smileys', it says so when you hover over the symbol. And you select them from the 'Smilie list'. :noway: Emoticons are also an acceptable term. :pierre:

My day in one emoji: 🆒
    Emoji - a small digital image or icon used to express an idea or emotion in electronic communication.

Spoiler:
    Show

REKT

:fight::fight::fight:

ReputationRep:
    :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    Surely :beer:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Now: :fatcontroller:

Spoiler:
    Show

Later: :gah::beerglass:

ReputationRep:
    Ummm... first line... "Emoji are ideograms and smileys used in electronic messages and Web pages."

I rest my case :judge:

:fight::fight::fight:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

:muse:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Ummm... first line... "Emoji are ideograms and smileys used in electronic messages and Web pages."

I rest my case :judge:
    Second line: "Emoji are used much like emoticons". Some emoji are smileys, but not all smileys are emoji. :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Second line: "Emoji are used much like emoticons". Some emoji are emoticons, but not all emoticons are emoji. :fuhrer:
    Emoticon - a representation of a facial expression such as a smile or frown, formed by various combinations of keyboard characters and used in electronic communications to convey the writer's feelings or intended tone. :-)
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Emoticon - a representation of a facial expression such as a smile or frown, formed by various combinations of keyboard characters and used in electronic communications to convey the writer's feelings or intended tone. :-)
    Okay, it seems I've been incorrect in using Emoticon and Smiley interchangeably all these years. You win that one. :grumble:

Doesn't change the fact that emoji are unicode-based, while TSR itself calls smileys smileys. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it seems I've been incorrect in using Emoticon and Smiley interchangeably all these years. You win that one. :grumble:

Doesn't change the fact that emoji are unicode-based, while TSR itself calls smileys smileys. :hmmm:
    Sorry to burst your :bubbles: again.

According the to the wiki page it is in fact emoticons that are Unicode.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    :noway:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji#Unicode_blocks "All of the 80 codepoints in the Emoticons block are considered emoji"

ReputationRep:
    Me avoiding doing my lab report :flute:

This has now been updated to :shot: as the deadline was 3 hours ago and I still haven't done it

ReputationRep:
    :noway:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji#Unicode_blocks "All of the 80 codepoints in the Emoticons block are considered emoji"
    So we have come to conclusion that all Unicode emoticons are emoji but not all Unicode emoji are emoticons. The more you know...

Learning together is fun. :hugs:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Update to my day in one emoji following the earlier debate: ☠️

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.