Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was recently browsing Reddit, where favourite engineering quotes were being discussed.

What are your ones (doesn't have to be mentioned in the link)?

My ones are:

Any idiot can design a bridge that stands. Only an engineer can design one that just barely stands.
    It's a classic, yes, and highlights the importance of economic design. Of efficiency and saving materials.

Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.”
    I really like this one, as it really emphasises the imprecise nature of engineering, and of how much assumptions go into analyses.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    For each and every engineering topic:

All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    Whenever I have to make an engineering assumption (when do we not?) this little motto always come back to me.

Edit: Just read through the Reddit link and spotted the quote, not surprised that some other engineers are thinking along the same lines also.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasedtobeatyou)
    For each and every engineering topic:

Whenever I have to make an engineering assumption (when do we not?) this little motto always come back to me.

Edit: Just read through the Reddit link and spotted the quote, not surprised that some other engineers are thinking along the same lines also.
    I really like that one, too. I was going to include it, but upon further research it appears to be from a statistician rather than an engineer, but it also applies to the engineering world, too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.