Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi - going to apply for accommodation at UCL soon, and think I have to specify whether I want to be in halls or a student house. I didn't really want to go to halls because they're catered, but will this be at the expense of having less of a social experience at uni?? Somehow I feel like halls would be more sociable than houses. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviarose99)
    Hi - going to apply for accommodation at UCL soon, and think I have to specify whether I want to be in halls or a student house. I didn't really want to go to halls because they're catered, but will this be at the expense of having less of a social experience at uni?? Somehow I feel like halls would be more sociable than houses. Thanks!
    I'm in the exact same position. I want self catered and en suite but relatively close to the uni. Hopefully someone gives good feedback.

ReputationRep:
    houses are the same as halls, only they're self-catered! ucl has a weird way of describing them haha. don't worry, student houses aren't tiny little buildings with only four or five people in - they're massive complexes with a few hundred first years! self-catered, ensuite, and being close to uni will set you back quite a bit, but it depends how much you want to spend

there's really no difference in the social side of things! in the beginning, everyone will be wanting to get to know each other and then it always dies down a little bit. i live in a flat in max rayne of 13 people and we all get along really well and with the flat next to us - in freshers EVERYONE comes out to try and make friends with EVERYONE so don't worry about the social side of things haha! of course, there are some people that don't really come out of their rooms, and it's just sort of bad luck if you want to be social and end up in a flat where no one else does. even then, people i know in that situation come down to our flat or make friends with people in other accommodations and stay there sometimes so don't worry about a place being "less social" because it really won't be, especially in the first few weeks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.