Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What constitutes as cheating? (With example) Watch

anything u wouldn't want ur other half to do, dangerous territory like heavily flirting with someone else, sexting, kissing, touching... and obviously anything sexual lol

ReputationRep:
    In my experience if you have to ask you probably cheated.

Assuming you're in a healthy relationship then anything you wouldn't want your partner to do/know about is probably cheating (or at least morally wrong). Having phone sex with your ex certainly counts, even if you stop half way through. You wouldn't feel any better if your GF was making out with her ex but decided to stop half way through.

Yes I Believe So...
    Hehehe, I'm anonymous too

(Original post by zayn008)
    It all depends, some people are in happy relationships and the partner is fine with them having sex with others... weird but true. You have to know boundaries. Some will class a kiss as cheating (childish but true), some will class hooking up as cheating and most will class sex as a cheating so in summary it's doing something to break the bond of your relationship
    So it's silly if my girlfriend thinks I'm cheating because I kiss another girl? LMAO

Also, you do know a hook up is still sex despite the fact it's casual?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So it's silly if my girlfriend thinks I'm cheating because I kiss another girl? LMAO

Also, you do know a hook up is still sex despite the fact it's casual?
    Not silly but it's forgivable, if you don't forgive for something like that it's quite childish. Also if you didn't have sex after the kiss it probably didn't mean much.

And I guess but it doesn't have to just be sex. I meant it in more of a meeting up way.

ReputationRep:
    As per title, what constitutes as cheating, in a relationship?

My example (Friend spoke to me about it, for ref. he is who this issue affects) is:

His ex-gf calls him up.
    (Bear in mind he is in a relationship)

Phone/video sex is insinuated and sort of starts, and whilst both people show.. intimate areas, one of said party quickly stops before it escalates further and stands up, says they cannot do it, ends the communication and blocks them.

Would that, in your eyes constitute as cheating?
    Which ever one of them didn't stand up and leave?? That's the cheater

ReputationRep:
    Having full sex with someone else and enjoying it. Anything less doesn't count.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Yes.

Also using your phone in an exam, that's cheating.
    Please leave any and all wifi in your pockets outside the examination hall before entering.

ReputationRep:
    If you're wondering if it is cheating or not - that's definitely cheating.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely cheating. I think in any situation where you feel guilty, that's your instincts kicking in to say, "This is wrong, I shouldn't be doing this". And if they don't feel guilty, well... it's still wrong
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As per title, what constitutes as cheating, in a relationship?

My example (Friend spoke to me about it, for ref. he is who this issue affects) is:

His ex-gf calls him up.
    (Bear in mind he is in a relationship)

Phone/video sex is insinuated and sort of starts, and whilst both people show.. intimate areas, one of said party quickly stops before it escalates further and stands up, says they cannot do it, ends the communication and blocks them.

Would that, in your eyes constitute as cheating?
    Phone sex would result in a stern warning (as would any real contact with an ex) however once pictures/videos became involved then yes, it became cheating. If he had any honour, he would break up.

It all depends, some people are in happy relationships and the partner is fine with them having sex with others... weird but true. You have to know boundaries. Some will class a kiss as cheating (childish but true), some will class hooking up as cheating and most will class sex as a cheating so in summary it's doing something to break the bond of your relationship
    Those men are submissive and defective. Pitiful.

Kissing (provided its not a peck on the cheek) is cheating.

It seems like the vast majority of people are saying that it is cheating.
    Should I be pressing/prompting him to tell her what happened?
    As a friend you should instruct him honestly that he has comitted an act of disloyalty to his girlfriend and that if he wishes to retain his honour then he should bear responsibility and face the consequences of his actions by revealing this information.

(Original post by kaylababesxx)
    yes thats cheating i would say that flirting,hugging,kissing,and sex is cheating at this age
    Flirting and hugging are not cheating however they may be too much to handle for some men on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this childish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Why is this childish?
    Well I wouldn't do it personally and I'd be upset if it happened but I wouldn't constitute it as cheating because if it didn't lead to sex and it was a one off it probably didn't mean much... so I wouldn't class it as cheating just a break of trust

ReputationRep:
    Childish?

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't do it personally and I'd be upset if it happened but I wouldn't constitute it as cheating because if it didn't lead to sex and it was a one off it probably didn't mean much... so I wouldn't class it as cheating just a break of trust
    Personally anything intimate, whether it be physically or emotional, counts as cheating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Personally anything intimate, whether it be physically or emotional, counts as cheating
    I guess but I think it's forgivable if it meant nothing. It's easy to just get caught up in the moment then regret it so I think it's only childish if you classed them as a cheater and broke up with them over something like that if it's just the one off

ReputationRep:
    It's all down to personal opinion.

In my eyes, any show of romantic, flirtatious or sexual interest in someone that isn't your partner is cheating.

If you're in a relationship you are 100% committed to that one person, emotionally and physically (sexually).

ReputationRep:
    Technically not cheating, but a severe breach of trust nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I guess but I think it's forgivable if it meant nothing. It's easy to just get caught up in the moment then regret it so I think it's only childish if you classed them as a cheater and broke up with them over something like that if it's just the one off
    I tried to see your point of view, but I really can't understand how you could feel that way. But each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    if you have to ask whether something counts as cheating then it probably is...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.