The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi

I would just like some clarification. I started a course, quit, started another course and quit that too. I do have a compelling reason for both occasions, but I am struggling to get the evidence.

I understand that it is 3 years + 1 grace year. i would lose 2 years for starting 2 courses, so would only get funding for 2 years. I need it for 3. I have been advised that if I can provide evidence of the reasons then I could get the third year covered.

My problem is, it was due to my mum developing cancer twice quite close together and me having to become her carer. I have letters confirming the cancer diagnosis which were sent to her back in 2005, but her Dr is unwilling to write me a letter talking about her personal details, as it is about her and not me and he is concerned about data protection. I have no idea what I am meant to do.
Hi Mhezz

We would recommend to send anything that may contribute towards showing the reasons you were unable to complete the course.
As a carer were you given any carers allowance or benefits? Did you have to submit anything to the university to confirm it? Was there a student staff helper/tutor at the university who could confirm this in letter? The following is the guidelines but it is not exhaustive and we look at each persons circumstances on a case by case basis

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP

Letter from Social Services

Letter from clergy or professional person

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Quick Reply