Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I would just like some clarification. I started a course, quit, started another course and quit that too. I do have a compelling reason for both occasions, but I am struggling to get the evidence.

    I understand that it is 3 years + 1 grace year. i would lose 2 years for starting 2 courses, so would only get funding for 2 years. I need it for 3. I have been advised that if I can provide evidence of the reasons then I could get the third year covered.

    My problem is, it was due to my mum developing cancer twice quite close together and me having to become her carer. I have letters confirming the cancer diagnosis which were sent to her back in 2005, but her Dr is unwilling to write me a letter talking about her personal details, as it is about her and not me and he is concerned about data protection. I have no idea what I am meant to do.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Mhezz

    We would recommend to send anything that may contribute towards showing the reasons you were unable to complete the course.
    As a carer were you given any carers allowance or benefits? Did you have to submit anything to the university to confirm it? Was there a student staff helper/tutor at the university who could confirm this in letter? The following is the guidelines but it is not exhaustive and we look at each persons circumstances on a case by case basis

    Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

    • is signed and dated;
    • confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and
    • when this took place

    Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

    • Medical evidence from a GP
    • Letter from HEP
    • Letter from Social Services
    • Letter from clergy or professional person
    • Death Certificate and/or
    • A Birth Certificate
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.