Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would hope that most ppl go to uni to get an education, and improve their employment prospects. Unless you are planning on buying the Uni as a real estate investment, or plan to live the rest of your lives there (rather than for 4 or 5 years), it would seem to me that the appearance of a uni is immaterial. My experience has been that, a hiring manager most likely has never been to the Uni you graduate from. In many cases they have never heard of it [unless it happens to be one of the large state Unis, or one of the big 'Name' schools, like MIT, Uni of London, Cal Tech, etc]. Attending a Uni, where the graduates have the reputation of knowing what they are doing, after they enter the job market, would seem to be much more important to me. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    isn't Brunel an expoly though. They all look shite
    Brunel is not an ex-Poly. Brunel is of the same stock and vintage as Warwick, York and Bath.

(Original post by PQ)

Nottingham Trent

Greenwich

Leeds Beckett

London Met

middlesex

teesside

westminster

etc etc
    Lincoln (ex Humberside Poly)

Derby (ex Derby Lonsdale College)

ReputationRep:
    I think this must be in the top 5 of the ugliest university buildings
    in England. I think it is the various ventilators hacked into the windows that give it that je ne sais quoi.

Mind you its next door neighbour isn't much prettier

ReputationRep:
    I actually live down the road from York University (I'm not a student there, I'm still in sixth form) and I have to say that I think it's great. It can smell of bird **** sometimes and the buildings aren't great, but I always loved going there for all the nature (even the bird **** can have its appeal in that case). I remember back in primary school and at the start of secondary school, when my friends and I used to go there to ride our scooters on all the amazing street spots: beautiful lake and nature with plenty of small sets of stairs to jump down and hills to speed down - perfect for beginners. I have nothing but fond memories of going there, so I just can't agree that it's ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    Why should it matter what a uni looks like? York is still a top university regardless. And if you're the type of person that chooses where to apply based on aesthetics than perhaps you're applying for the wrong reasons.
    I disagree. Much of the teaching at the top universities is very comparable and competitive, so when the universities are that close in teaching standards and opportunity you might as-well consider picking somewhere to live for at-least three years that isn't a concrete box.

ReputationRep:
    I love York Uni 😍
    Btw- it has the highest duck to student ratio of all unis 😉

ReputationRep:
    My 1st and 2nd choices are UEA and Oxford brookes, still havent decided yet but Brookes looked awesome and UEA was pretty ugly. It has some nice buildings but lots of concrete. The inside is nice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Nottingham Trent

Greenwich

Leeds Beckett

London Met

middlesex

teesside

westminster

etc etc
    No Brunel is a 1966 UNI and is 51 this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think this must be in the top 5 of the ugliest university buildings
    in England. I think it is the various ventilators hacked into the windows that give it that je ne sais quoi.

Mind you its next door neighbour isn't much prettier

Your images aren't loading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluerain716)
    It's a leading university, one of the 20 best in the UK, why does it bother you how it looks?
    Hey u slightly look like Lucy Watson from Made in Chelsea random

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster's appearance put me off going, despite being offered an unconditional. I loved York.. Loads of geese, a big (albeit man made) lake with a fountain, green spaces for studying. The buildings might be ugly but the grounds are very pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganthegreat)
    I love York Uni 😍
    Btw- it has the highest duck to student ratio of all unis 😉
    Major selling point!!!:loveduck:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Your images aren't loading
    I can't work out what the problem is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Google York uni images. Go on street view. All you see is brutalist concrete monstrosities. Granted, the spaceship looks cool (maths department I think). But the rest of the uni doesn't. It's all concrete boxes - a bit like my old secondary school. There are no traditional buildings at all. Now you'd think York uni would be all traditional like its town centre. A real let down that it's not. I would've considered going there too. Nottingham / Birmingham on a different league altogether in terms of looks. Mind you, York may be slightly better academically. It's a shame their buildings don't reflect their reputation.
    York isn't academically better than Nottingham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    Overall, it's debatable (dependent on which league table you refer to). It would obviously make more sense to say York isn't academically better than Nottingham in X subject - avoid making sweeping statements / generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Overall, it's debatable (dependent on which league table you refer to). It would obviously make more sense to say York isn't academically better than Nottingham in X subject - avoid making sweeping statements / generalisations.
    League tables don't give a good indicator of the university's reputation. There are examples of this all over the world. I won't even bother mentioning The Guardian and its flaws. But, take the Complete University Guide. Loughborough is above UCL and Warwick. Does that mean it's better? No.

International league tables are better, but still flawed.

When you actually go to university and talk to academics, who are best placed to judge the quality of competitors, you'll be able to see past propaganda and not take it at face value. The departments at Nottingham are very strong, and I'm struggling to think of more than a couple of York's departments that are comparable. Obviously York is great, and you're right that it is debatable. But, I wouldn't say you could claim that York is better academically overall as implied in the original post.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You could say York is bad, but only some of it (which is being demolished soon) but we are the European duck capital, goose capital, have the largest plastic bottom lake in Europe, and Hes Hall more than makes up for asbestos central (old derwent)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    League tables don't give a good indicator of the university's reputation. There are examples of this all over the world. I won't even bother mentioning The Guardian and its flaws. But, take the Complete University Guide. Loughborough is above UCL and Warwick. Does that mean it's better? No.

International league tables are better, but still flawed.

When you actually go to university and talk to academics, who are best placed to judge the quality of competitors, you'll be able to see past propaganda and not take it at face value. The departments at Nottingham are very strong, and I'm struggling to think of more than a couple of York's departments that are comparable. Obviously York is great, and you're right that it is debatable. But, I wouldn't say you could claim that York is better academically overall as implied in the original post.
    What has to be remembered about the main table is it puts Yuuuge emphasis on international prestige which for most grads is irrelevant. For instance Warwick always ranks highly because of it, but in the under 50 ranking it had to wait until York, Lancasterand UEA were over 50 to take the top spot. It has good international prestige, and a lot of government funding, but in research and the things that really matter for domestic students it ranks WAY lower (as evidenced by the under 50s ratings. A couple of departments carry the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Brunel : http://londonist.com/2012/05/londons...list-buildings

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.