Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

York Uni - ugliest uni? Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by fandom-queen)
    Same. Same. If I don't find any good ones, I'm done for. My parents aren't that rich. I definitely can't afford the cost for travel, accommodation, living AND tuition fees.
    Same here :/ looking at government stuff but they all seem competitive af

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Same here :/ looking at government stuff but they all seem competitive af

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes......

I really need a reduction on tuition fee. It's way too expensive.

Spoiler:
    Show

I know it's so wrong of me, but I was freaking delighted when brexit happened. The pound used to be Rs 98 = 1 GBP. Now it's 83.....

I'm a horrible, selfish person, but idc, I need to go to UoStA
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

yes......

I really need a reduction on tuition fee. It's way too expensive.

Spoiler:
    Show

I know it's so wrong of me, but I was freaking delighted when brexit happened. The pound used to be Rs 98 = 1 GBP. Now it's 83.....

I'm a horrible, selfish person, but idc, I need to go to UoStA
    Loool same.

I was mad when Brexit happened. The tuition drop is basically the only thing good imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Loool same.

I was mad when Brexit happened. The tuition drop is basically the only thing good imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed. I was shocked because that just revealed the racist undertones the UK had. As an international student hoping to go study there, not the most ideal of situations. But the exchange rate I was happy about.

You're going to study economics?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Agreed. I was shocked because that just revealed the racist undertones the UK had. As an international student hoping to go study there, not the most ideal of situations. But the exchange rate I was happy about.

Yep definitely, not the best situation to be in!

No Sustainable Development! Definitely connected with Econ though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep definitely, not the best situation to be in!

No Sustainable Development! Definitely connected with Econ though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, it is. Which other unis did you apply to?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Yeah, it is. Which other unis did you apply to?
    Oxford (rejected), UCL, Exeter and Manchester

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oxford (rejected), UCL, Exeter and Manchester

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohh, I aimed much lower than that :-P

Bristol, QMUL, Birmingham, Bath.

The others are far to expensive for me.

You got into manchester, UCL and exeter?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Ohh, I aimed much lower than that :-P

Bristol, QMUL, Birmingham, Bath.

The others are far to expensive for me.

You got into manchester, UCL and exeter?
    Yeah I did, offers from all 3

Wbu?

Hahaha tbh Oxford would have been extremely expensive for me... but thought it was Oxford so why not try

Coool was gonna apply to QMUL actually but changed it to St A's last minute

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, offers from all 3

Wbu?

Hahaha tbh Oxford would have been extremely expensive for me... but thought it was Oxford so why not try

Coool was gonna apply to QMUL actually but changed it to St A's last minute

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All except Birmingham and Bath. Haven't heard from them yet.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

To be fair, I don't think most people vited leave because of racism, and any such behaviour is massively frowned upon. People voted to leave because of the terrible economic situation here for the poorest especially (following the 2008 crisis and Conservative government cuts). Rather than blame the highest echelons of society, the immigrants are blamed. Most brexiters don't have a problem with individual immigrants as such to indicate they were racist, must instead with the 'mass migration' they have been convinced is ruining their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are the west midlands notorious for their peasant-like habits then? You know, to the so-called elite.

Spoiler:
    Show

Ugh, I sound like a communist.

Yes. It's a very working class region, but unlike places like Yorkshire we have little to nothing in terms of culture (except Black Sabbath, canals and Warwick Castle)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

All except Birmingham and Bath. Haven't heard from them yet.
    Cool hope you hear back from them soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    To be fair, I don't think most people vited leave because of racism, and any such behaviour is massively frowned upon. People voted to leave because of the terrible economic situation here for the poorest especially (following the 2008 crisis and Conservative government cuts). Rather than blame the highest echelons of society, the immigrants are blamed. Most brexiters don't have a problem with individual immigrants as such to indicate they were racist, must instead with the 'mass migration' they have been convinced is ruining their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh. I hope so. But the pound is now lower than ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    Yes. It's a very working class region, but unlike places like Yorkshire we have little to nothing in terms of culture (except Black Sabbath, canals and Warwick Castle)
    Pfft, Black sabbath wins over everything.

*Sniffle*
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakisaka)
    My 1st and 2nd choices are UEA and Oxford brookes, still havent decided yet but Brookes looked awesome and UEA was pretty ugly. It has some nice buildings but lots of concrete. The inside is nice though.
    In defence of our campus we've some incredible sights here! (We were also ranked as having the best campus environment by students last year in the Times Higher Education survey).

Name:  25 Reasons Social Media.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  270.0 KB

25 reasons to choose UEA: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/25-insta...s-views-of-uea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by university of east anglia)
    in defence of our campus we've some incredible sights here! (we were also ranked as having the best campus environment by students last year in the times higher education survey).

Name:  25 Reasons Social Media.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  270.0 KB

25 reasons to choose uea: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/25-insta...s-views-of-uea
    you go girl

ReputationRep:
    The academic buildings are fine, a bit boring looking, but fine. The accommodation in Stag Hill are an eyesore though. It is quite a leafy campus though, and hey, it might be ugly but it's undeniably a great uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Google York uni images. Go on street view. All you see is brutalist concrete monstrosities. Granted, the spaceship looks cool (maths department I think). But the rest of the uni doesn't. It's all concrete boxes - a bit like my old secondary school. There are no traditional buildings at all. Now you'd think York uni would be all traditional like its town centre. A real let down that it's not. I would've considered going there too. Nottingham / Birmingham on a different league altogether in terms of looks. Mind you, York may be slightly better academically. It's a shame their buildings don't reflect their reputation.
    It isn't better actually, but York is as good as any uni outside of Oxbridge and London.

ReputationRep:
    Bath and UEA are ugly universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.