Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you look down on people working manual jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    Such as garbage men and those working in fast food restaurants

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely do not and am especially glad of the refuse collectors.

I should like to be a municipal park-keeper and wish I had become that.

ReputationRep:
    In a way yes because I look up to people working in a profession that takes a lot of time to get good at.

Not saying that binmen and waiters need no skill but it is very easy to do and takes little skill.
    But what a persons job is does not mean I will look at you too differently, personallity is key.

If it is like 18yr old working at mcdonalds that is ok as he might be going to uni to learn something very skilled but like a 30+yr old working there is bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    In a way yes because I look up to people working in a profession that takes a lot of time to get good at.

Not saying that binmen and waiters need no skill but it is very easy to do and takes little skill.
    But what a persons job is does not mean I will look at you too differently, personallity is key.

If it is like 18yr old working at mcdonalds that is ok as he might be going to uni to learn something very skilled but like a 30+yr old working there is bad
    You define people based on their jobs and what age they're doing that job? How is that of any concern to you?

ReputationRep:
    It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.

As has been stated, this isn't the case if they are clearly students just doing a Saturday job. But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I absolutely do not and am especially glad of the refuse collectors.

I should like to be a municipal park-keeper and wish I had become that.
    Evidence, I think, that those who want to work with their hands can both use a subjunctive and differentiate between 'should' and 'would'.
    • Very Important Poster

N. A lot of manual jobs are v hard work for very little money. Unlike perfect balance I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a 30 uear old in McD's. Honest wage and they are making an effort, who knows what led them there? they could also be a student, divorced, homeless, have mental health issues. You dont know and the last thing you need is some snob coming and looking down on you for a job they are unlikely to be able to stick to for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    "An honest day's work for an honest day's pay". Frankly, I have infinitely more respect for someone who gets up at the crack of dawn every morning and does a hard job to provide for his family than some spotty 20-year-old city graduate whose sole aim in life is to get rich quick by making money come out of computers.

And yes, women can work with their hands too.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has to do them, where would we be without them? Many manual jobs are an important and integral part of a functioning civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    No, especially garbage men, that job is a necessity and people in that profession get plenty more respect from me than say, beauticians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobleLeather)
    You define people based on their jobs and what age they're doing that job? How is that of any concern to you?
    Look I work as a cashier but I also do other menial tasks, it took me a week or so to learn all the things, I need very little skill I could be replaced in an instant, but I am 16 so that is ok I do not have many serious job skills, I could not be a IT tech or be a lawyer yet.

But if I was 30 and still working as a cashier It could mean they have not really done that well in life.

Age matters a lot

ReputationRep:
    No, I respect them. Especially since I wouldn't dare to do such job, unless really had to.
    Having said that, I wouldn't want to date anyone doing manual job.

ReputationRep:
    No. Because they are not unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not. They're perfectly legitimate jobs and we need people like bin men. Looking down on people for providing a useful service is stupid.

Do I look up to them? No, of course not. I don't aspire to be like them either. I respect that they are important and we need them but I also appreciate that it would be a total waste of my time because I'm better suited for other things.

I suppose yes, in some ways I do look down on the profession (not the individuals working in it) because it's something I'd class as beneath me. Unless it were absolutely necessary I would always be able to do better. But I dont think that's at all unreasonable. Saying you can do better than being a bin man is not really that different than saying you can do better than £50K per year. It's really a matter of aiming as high as you can.

Bin men might have an important job but it's also incredibly low skilled, hence why it doesn't pay all that well. It's perfectly acceptable for people of a higher skill level to have better aspirations. Do I respect the people doing the job? Sure, it's necessary although I'd also wonder why they're stuck doing it and not aiming for higher. Are they professions I'd ever consider as a real career path? Not at all, life is too short to not live to your potential. And everyone, including the people doing those menial jobs have more potential.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking
    Absolutely not - it would be silly for people to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.

As has been stated, this isn't the case if they are clearly students just doing a Saturday job. But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.
    Maybe they put in effort in school but still struggled.

ReputationRep:
    Only if I am taller than them.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has to do those jobs, no? Well at least until we get robots.

The world wouldn't function without menial labor. And "effort" is not all it takes, opportunity and luck with the genes matter an awful lot. In fact, some menial jobs require an incredible amount of effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    "An honest day's work for an honest day's pay". Frankly, I have infinitely more respect for someone who gets up at the crack of dawn every morning and does a hard job to provide for his family than some spotty 20-year-old city graduate whose sole aim in life is to get rich quick by making money come out of computers.

And yes, women can work with their hands too.
    Well said!

ReputationRep:

No - if anything I look up to them. I can't imagine working physically as hard as many have to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.