Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you look down on people working manual jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    Maybe they put in effort in school but still struggled.
    Or maybe they just wanted to work with their hands, and the effort or lack at school is irrelevant? There's more than one model of 'success' in life, and it isn't just academic prowess. We've really lost our our way with this over the past 20 years or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    And everyone, including the people doing those menial jobs have more potential.
    Possible. But then who would do those jobs if everyone was able to fulfill their potential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    No. Because they are not unemployed.
    Definitely agree with you here! It's the people who are on the dole doing absolute jack all with their lives that deserve to be looked down upon.

I think it is disgusting to judge someone for doing any kind of work, we are all so judgemental these days - too many people possess the mentality that "if you aren't in further education you have failed life!".

Also, just because people don't go to University after they leave school doesn't mean to say they won't be successful. It's not for everyone, and forcing people into doing pointless degrees or a degree they are not interested in for the sake to please society is just outrageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.
    Really?! Kids can come from disturbed background, and go to schools with many disruptive 'students'. Not everyone gets the start in life that everyone deserves.
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.
    If people enjoy it, why not? Bin [wo]men may like being outside, and the hours may be convenient for them. Waiters and waitresses may enjoy the people contact - it's considered a true profession (at a certain level) in some countries, e.g. France.

There are a whole host of tradespeople who, whilst not typically academic, have real skills. Have you ever tried brick laying?

Anyone doing what they enjoy for a living has won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Or maybe they just wanted to work with their hands, and the effort or lack at school is irrelevant? There's more than one model of 'success' in life, and it isn't just academic prowess. We've really lost our our way with this over the past 20 years or so.
    Or that yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    No, I respect them. Especially since I wouldn't dare to do such job, unless really had to.
    Having said that, I wouldn't want to date anyone doing manual job.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    No, someone has to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    Why?
    because we'd live in 2 different worlds. And my parents would never approve that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Really?! Kids can come from disturbed background, and go to schools with many disruptive 'students'. Not everyone gets the start in life that everyone deserves.

If people enjoy it, why not? Bin [wo]men may like being outside, and the hours may be convenient for them. Waiters and waitresses may enjoy the people contact - it's considered a true profession (at a certain level) in some countries, e.g. France.

There are a whole host of tradespeople who, whilst not typically academic, have real skills. Have you ever tried brick laying?

Anyone doing what they enjoy for a living has won.
    Precisely. Anyone who has ever tried to DIY plaster a wall, or install a boiler, or repair a car soon realises that tradesmen are immensely skilled at what they do. Intelligence comes in many different guises, and I find it depressing that we've fetishised academic success as the benchmark by which all other 'success' is measured.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day they need to make money to provide for themselves. If thats looked down upon then wow. Just people making a living. Nothing to look down at. Some people prefer to work a lower skilled job for less pay anyway.

Accountants and Investment bankers work way to much. I know the pay is amazing but my cousin works 12-13 hours a day! He doesn't even have time to see his family. He literally goes sleep then work. Repeat. Not all jobs are like that though. Just an example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    because we'd live in 2 different worlds. And my parents would never approve that.
    Ok then, a man has to be a doctor (to live in your world) and satisfy your parents' every wish, in order to be with you. I see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Possible. But then who would do those jobs if everyone was able to fulfill their potential?
    Exactly. There's all sorts of problems, one of which is that for a long time we aren't going to get away from these jobs.

Of course not everyone can fulfill their potential and in fact it's really a very small percentage of people that even get close. Most people lack one or more things. They lack the motivation, or the resources, or something else. For example every single student is capable of getting an A* with sufficient time and practice. However many students don't get close and most average out to around C and B grades. It's the same with jobs, most people have the potential to go into high end or high skilled jobs. Most people have the potential to get rich. Most people have the potential to get really fit. And yet most people don't.

So while it would be a problem if everyone were able to fulfill their potnential, it's not really anything we need to worry about. Because at the end of the day there is always going to be an abundance of people who won't work at their full potential. Many of these people may do very well for themselves too. We never have to worry about every bin men suddenly quitting to pursue a career in software engineering because it simply isn't realistic from a human nature perspective.

The more likely thing to happen is that these jobs disappear through advancement. Staying with the binmen example, one day rubbish collection will be automated and we may not even need rubbish collections. At some point we won't need binmen. We might need people to repair and manage the technology that deals with out automated rubbish collection though. Something like that will push people in these lower end jobs (for lack of a better description) into doing something more advanced. It will push people towards their potential. Of course at some point even that repair and management will be automated. One day we may reach a point where jobs simply don't need to exist. That's far more likely than everyone trying to reach their potential.

ReputationRep:
    I don't look down at anyone who works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid12)
    At the end of the day they need to make money to provide for themselves. If thats looked down upon then wow. Just people making a living. Nothing to look down at. Some people prefer to work a lower skilled job for less pay anyway.

Accountants and Investment bankers work way to much. I know the pay is amazing but my cousin works 12-13 hours a day! He doesn't even have time to see his family. He literally goes sleep then work. Repeat. Not all jobs are like that though. Just an example.
    While I can absolutely appreciate where you are coming from, I don't think it's fair to say someone works too much, or to single out accountants and investment bankers. It is entirely their choice and that's really no different to singling out workers in low paid jobs. Either way you're still judging them because you don't agree with what they do.

As far as time to see your family goes, I'd much rather work really hard now, retire in 10 years and have the rest of the time to do what I want rather than work for 40 hours, every week for the next 50 years of my life just to get by.

I don't have anything against those people but it really does baffle me that so many people are content to trade so much of their time every week, for half their life just to live. Especially when they may hate the job. Given the choice it makes far more sense to put in lots of hard work now to have an easier life later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    While I can absolutely appreciate where you are coming from, I don't think it's fair to say someone works too much, or to single out accountants and investment bankers. It is entirely their choice and that's really no different to singling out workers in low paid jobs. Either way you're still judging them because you don't agree with what they do.

As far as time to see your family goes, I'd much rather work really hard now, retire in 10 years and have the rest of the time to do what I want rather than work for 40 hours, every week for the next 50 years of my life just to get by.

I don't have anything against those people but it really does baffle me that so many people are content to trade so much of their time every week, for half their life just to live. Especially when they may hate the job. Given the choice it makes far more sense to put in lots of hard work now to have an easier life later on.
    I actually want to be an accountant lol. And thats my plan aswell. I was trying to think in the perspective of a person working them kinds of jobs. Didn't mean to offend anyone

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I work in agriculture for 2-4 weeks at a time, so I appreciate how hard it is, particularly if you have to utilise every hour of light. I respect people who do it all the time. It also puts into perspective those who whine about how hard they find sitting on their arse while working or studying.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Also, don't binmen make quite a bit these days?

ReputationRep:
    I'm am the most obsessively intellectual person you're likely ever going to meet, but...

You can't request a service and also look down upon people providing that service!

ReputationRep:
    No I don't like to judge people. At the end of the day they are still going to work and making some sort of living for themselves and their families. I sympathise with cleaners go example when they have to pick up litter people have dropped on the floor which could've easily been put in the nearest bin
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It seems it's nothing to do with the job and everything to do with the amount of money earned and the 'image' it portrays.

Wealth and acquisition are so very often indicators that the person is an arrogant, selfish, condescending schmuck who ruthlessly exploits low paid staff.

See, anyone can play the stereotype game.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.