Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you look down on people working manual jobs Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im just amazed if you were English why you would bother. All the usual workplace 'teamwork' nonsense plus the fact your gonna be working with almost exclusively chavs and Poles, your not gonna really meet anybody of any significance, your social life if anything is gonna get worse, most women even secretaries and hairdresser and other nightclub trash will consider you pondlife and at the end of the week you cant even do much with the money you have left. Your better off trying to run a drug gang or something, certainly you'll get more pussy than if you rely on the dole office or work with poles 9-5. Asians have the right idea if you cant be a baller in the city or in medicine ****ing be a bare man and hit the roads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abclkj)
    I sympathise with cleaners go example when they have to pick up litter people have dropped on the floor which could've easily been put in the nearest bin
    One of the things that I have a hard time with in the US is (some) people in supermarkets.

There are the ones that place their bags by the till, do nothing whilst their shopping is scanned, and then wait for the cashier to bag everything. It appears culturally acceptable here, but I could never do it - it just seems like a lack of respect for the cashier to me.

Others just leave their trolley close to their parking space, expecting someone else to put it where it should be. That causes an issue when you turn into a space (with cars either side), only to suddenly see a trolley.

I fell better now

ReputationRep:
    To everybody saying yes because "They were lazy at school" or whatever, that is simply judging a book by its cover, luckily a lot of us have been graced with positive upbringings, but not everybody is as fortunate as we are. Before looking at somebody such as that of a bin man, get to know his upbringing/ back story before you make acclamation's you cannot prove That's how I see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    Ok then, a man has to be a doctor (to live in your world) and satisfy your parents' every wish, in order to be with you. I see.
    No, has to be at uni.

ReputationRep:
    So you would look down on what 35% of the population who are working class. A lot of people get stuck in these jobs because the glass ceiling exsists and it's hard to move up. From a young age people from lower income backgrounds start to lag behind on attainment and the gap between richer and poorer widens. Even looking at how flawed the scottish education is where a lot of working class children have to sit national 4 instead of a national 5 exam so have less of a chance of going on to do highers and getting into higher education. People end up in these jobs because of a repeated cycle of oppression under our present capitilist state. My brothers intelligent and he used to have to work in Amazon under unhealthy conditions , a lot of my freinds will go on to manual jobs and possibly me aswell since I have an acute mental health problem which holds me back. I think to say you would look down on us or never date us is pure ignorant. I've met people who thought they were above me even though when it comes to intelligence and accedemia I'm probably above them. The only difference is they were born into a home with more capital and entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobleLeather)
    Such as garbage men and those working in fast food restaurants

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking
    Anyone who judges somebody because of their job position is quite simply insecure. 'Status hungry students' do it because they're spoiled and they're in a limbo where they've never worked a full-time job before. All they've ever known is study, and they're ****-scared that when they leave the safe bubble of university they'll struggle to fully realise their ambitions and careers. They take this fear out on people who they deem to be 'beneath' them, or who they believe have somehow failed in life because they didn't go to university and they're doing a manual job as a result. It is a laughable and simplistic view of the world, and I would expect better of supposedly educated young people. These students have A LOT to learn about the real world, and hopefully their opinions will change when they venture out into the real world and realise that life after university is NOT as simple for most as they might initially expect.

So, there you go. Judgement of others is bred out of insecurity and unhappiness. People who are truly happy and secure with their lives don't make unnecessary judgements. It wouldn't even cross their minds to criticise people who are in lower paid work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    No.

Also, don't binmen make quite a bit these days?
    Birmingham binmen and their wages seem to make an appearance in astonished daily mail articles every few years - don't think the pay is that fantastic averaged over the nation though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking
    You have asked a proper question indeed.

And to give my personal answer to that: no. I am not interest in the status stuff. Prestige is so unimportant to myself, as long as I have people around me who accept my personality.

ReputationRep:
    Most people won't admit it but everyone who has ever worked in these kinds of jobs knows there's a huge stigma attached. Especially if you're a man and you're in your mid to late 20s and older (I know people who lied about where they work to girls they were interested in ).

As far as I am concerned, I'd soon work in a McDonald's (which I love) than in the Guardian (even though I have an interest in journalism, I absolutely despise the elitist attitude with which most vaguely leftist, sort of centrist journalists treat people who weren't as privileged as they were growing up).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    Most people won't admit it but everyone who has ever worked in these kinds of jobs knows there's a huge stigma attached. Especially if you're a man and you're in your mid to late 20s and older (I know people who lied about where they work to girls they were interested in ).
    (...)
    Yeah, was the same to me when I have worked in a warehouse as a semi-skilled employee. It is just this stupidd attitude of another people coupled with an arrogance being something better what leads to lying.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

No, definitely not - particularly as their career isn't the only important factor about them!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    No, definitely not - particularly as their career isn't the only important factor about them!
    This. Just this.

Would add to this statement that career is secondary, if no one feels happiness for working in a prestigious job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    In a way yes because I look up to people working in a profession that takes a lot of time to get good at.

Not saying that binmen and waiters need no skill but it is very easy to do and takes little skill.
    But what a persons job is does not mean I will look at you too differently, personallity is key.

If it is like 18yr old working at mcdonalds that is ok as he might be going to uni to learn something very skilled but like a 30+yr old working there is bad
    Oh dear.

First and foremost if it's very easy and takes no skill why don't you try it? Ten hours on your feet, heavy lifting all day/balancing stuff, remembering what table multiple things have to go to with 150,000 things going on, coping with the bratty kids and snotty customers, getting paid too little to put enough behind you to pay out for a uni course (can't afford food, accommodation, your own rent etc). Don't forget you have to go home, clean everything, look after your kids, spend time with your significant other (maybe if you're lucky you live at home and can't afford to get married because it'd mean moving out which you dont get paid enough to do), arrange that doctors appointment, pay out for that clutch on your car you can't afford meaning you'll have to eat light meals and have no treats for the next month etc etc.

Have you ever considered that 30yr old has no choice? That we have 1.62m unemployed jobseekers (as in actively looking for work but cant find it) in this country and they had to get the first job they could to pay the mortgage? Maybe they never had the opportunities you did, they've got an illness or they come from a real poor background and so getting in to the fundamentally middle/upper class education system is hard for them, they fail to start with so the school called them stupid, called their parents in constantly, drove down their self esteem. Fed up, they gave up. There's only so long you can be called stupid before it takes it's toll. There are hundreds of reasons people can't make it other than 'they don't try hard enough'.

You should speak to some economically worse off people, see how they have to live and what they have to face and then maybe you'll see it's more than just 'they couldn't be bothered'

(Original post by Nottie)
    No, I respect them. Especially since I wouldn't dare to do such job, unless really had to.
    Having said that, I wouldn't want to date anyone doing manual job.
    How is that less prejudiced? You won't look down on them but screw having one as a romantic partner. Ridiculous.

To answer the OP absolutely not. I come from that background and I respect them a load more than the managers and bankers who play around with other peoples time and money, blame everyone else when it goes wrong and do absolute minimum work whilst ensuring the employees are overworked to cover their own laziness. Middle management is the absolute worst of the worst and office jobs are full of passive aggressive weirdos who all think they deserve more than they have. I've never met a builder or tiler who complains that 'Janice just sucks up to Shaun who likes her cuz Jenny who promoted him says she was good, so I can't get a promotion because she doesn't like me', and a lot of them in my experience graduated out of soft degrees and are annoyed their useless qualification got them nowhere - I deliberately moved away from such a job to get paid less to work with people who were less annoying (not by much, see middle managers, but the actual people are normal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Oh dear.

First and foremost if it's very easy and takes no skill why don't you try it? Ten hours on your feet, heavy lifting all day/balancing stuff, remembering what table multiple things have to go to with 150,000 things going on, coping with the bratty kids and snotty customers, getting paid too little to put enough behind you to pay out for a uni course (can't afford food, accommodation, your own rent etc). Don't forget you have to go home, clean everything, look after your kids, spend time with your significant other (maybe if you're lucky you live at home and can't afford to get married because it'd mean moving out which you dont get paid enough to do), arrange that doctors appointment, pay out for that clutch on your car you can't afford meaning you'll have to eat light meals and have no treats for the next month etc etc.

Have you ever considered that 30yr old has no choice? That we have 1.62m unemployed jobseekers (as in actively looking for work but cant find it) in this country and they had to get the first job they could to pay the mortgage? Maybe they never had the opportunities you did, they've got an illness or they come from a real poor background and so getting in to the fundamentally middle/upper class education system is hard for them, they fail to start with so the school called them stupid, called their parents in constantly, drove down their self esteem. Fed up, they gave up. There's only so long you can be called stupid before it takes it's toll. There are hundreds of reasons people can't make it other than 'they don't try hard enough'.

You should speak to some economically worse off people, see how they have to live and what they have to face and then maybe you'll see it's more than just 'they couldn't be bothered'

How is that less prejudiced? You won't look down on them but screw having one as a romantic partner. Ridiculous.

To answer the OP absolutely not. I come from that background and I respect them a load more than the managers and bankers who play around with other peoples time and money, blame everyone else when it goes wrong and do absolute minimum work whilst ensuring the employees are overworked to cover their own laziness. Middle management is the absolute worst of the worst and office jobs are full of passive aggressive weirdos who all think they deserve more than they have. I've never met a builder or tiler who complains that 'Janice just sucks up to Shaun who likes her cuz Jenny who promoted him says she was good, so I can't get a promotion because she doesn't like me', and a lot of them in my experience graduated out of soft degrees and are annoyed their useless qualification got them nowhere - I deliberately moved away from such a job to get paid less to work with people who were less annoying (not by much, see middle managers, but the actual people are normal)
    It takes a ton of effort and not much skill, wheras working say as a lawyer takes a ton of effort and a ton of skill (Less physical effort)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.

As has been stated, this isn't the case if they are clearly students just doing a Saturday job. But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.
    So you'd rather have your extension built by someone who's been doing the job for a few months on Saturdays instead of someone who's been doing it his whole life?

Let me know how that turns out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    So you'd rather have your extension built by someone who's been doing the job for a few months on Saturdays instead of someone who's been doing it his whole life?

Let me know how that turns out for you.
    I was referring to the examples laid out prior to my comment, i.e. McDonalds or dustbin men. Not builders; obviously there is a need for experienced builders. All I was saying was that working in McDonalds is fine for a Saturday job, but should not be a long term career option.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Bezukhov)
    I was referring to the examples laid out prior to my comment, i.e. McDonalds or dustbin men. Not builders; obviously there is a need for experienced builders. All I was saying was that working in McDonalds is fine for a Saturday job, but should not be a long term career option.
    There's a need for binmen too. Sanitation is very important, especially as areas become more and more populated. I'd argue that you need at least one person of experience on a crew as if they've been doing the job for long enough, they know the area well enough that they can do the job as efficiently as possible, ie; doing the job tidily and creating as little disruption to traffic as possible.

Get a bunch of part-timers on board who don't really care about it, and the quality of the work being done will decrease.
    Besides, after being on the bins for a while you might get a chance to drive one of the lorries, and the company you're working for might put you through your Cat C license, thus massively increasing your potential for finding work if you decide to leave the job but want to remain a HGV driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    "An honest day's work for an honest day's pay". Frankly, I have infinitely more respect for someone who gets up at the crack of dawn every morning and does a hard job to provide for his family than some spotty 20-year-old city graduate whose sole aim in life is to get rich quick by making money come out of computers.

And yes, women can work with their hands too.
    I totally agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    In a way yes because I look up to people working in a profession that takes a lot of time to get good at.

Not saying that binmen and waiters need no skill but it is very easy to do and takes little skill.
    But what a persons job is does not mean I will look at you too differently, personallity is key.

If it is like 18yr old working at mcdonalds that is ok as he might be going to uni to learn something very skilled but like a 30+yr old working there is bad
    Theres absolutely nothing wrong with someone working at mcdonalds. I have worked there on and off (both full and part time) for 9 years now. For your information, the money isnt that bad- its better than more skilled jobs i have done. Theres also a lot of progression opportunities. The franchisee who owns mine and 13 other restaurants (and who is a multi millionaire) started off as a crew member. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.