Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you look down on people working manual jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    No, I only look down on people who are capable of working but choose not to AND live off the state.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Theres absolutely nothing wrong with someone working at mcdonalds. I have worked there on and off (both full and part time) for 9 years now. For your information, the money isnt that bad- its better than more skilled jobs i have done. Theres also a lot of progression opportunities. The franchisee who owns mine and 13 other restaurants (and who is a multi millionaire) started off as a crew member. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
    If I look up on people like doctors and lawyers then obviously in a sense I look down on people doing manual labor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    If I look up on people like doctors and lawyers then obviously in a sense I look down on people doing manual labor
    theres no need to look down on people doing these jobs though.
    Some has to do them. And we would struggle without them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just happy they've got a job, rather than them having the Jobcentre as almost their second home.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I look down on people who look down on them.

Because its not right to look down on them. They are working like us and are earning an honest living.
    No work is too small.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It takes a ton of effort and not much skill, wheras working say as a lawyer takes a ton of effort and a ton of skill (Less physical effort)
    Speaking as a mcdonalds worker who is at uni aspiring to be a lawyer and have done a work placement with a law firm I'd be inclined to disagree. Law is very much about filling the blanks, you learn your area of specialty once then all you have to do is keep informed of changes to statute and common law and your job is done.

The top 20% of lawyers who write the infinitely complex business contracts, who act on behalf of the richest in our society in quantitative form ie not private law or personal indictment (as in an actual person not a corporation) just know their field inside out but years of experience will do that, most barristers are advised to suggest the general direction of the court case and to inform their client of this - not inherently 'to win' but rather to give a realistic assessment. The lawyers who only want to 'win' are those precious few on multi millions. Most lawyers just have technical minds and a comprehensive understanding of the legal system - and any property lawyer has my infinite respect (goddamn is property law complex) - but aren't necessarily 'more skilled'. They have a skill considered more valuable but we don't get to choose our IQ, our circumstances, our upbringing or our efficacy for education so I think it's simplistic to say they're so much more skilled. My answer to that is always if they're so smart how come they can't fix their own electrics and need an electrician so they dont fry themselves? How is it they need a builder to make their conservatory or a chef to cook food far beyond their competency? My point being they aren't more skilled, they just get paid more for their skill. I appreciate I'm stretching the definition as McDonalds work isn't exactly quantum physics but again some people by circumstance simply have no option, that doesn't mean these people have no marketable skills but that they can't find anywhere else in the market at that time. I don't believe anyone of sound mind and reasonable personality can be held to be entirely without skill.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that the people doing manual labour look down on you...

ReputationRep:
    A total waste of time if you aint East European. Study hard or become a full time Roadman.

ReputationRep:
    No. Their lives are probably a lot more certain and stable than mine and I'm a student. And they are actually important for society to functio . Your average student isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any job is better than no job.

At the end of the day, money is money
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Heck no. I'm an accountant at the moment, was an electrician before. Electrical work was way more challenging (mentally and physically). It's generally a more productive way to spend your life, has more real world relevance.

Honestly, maybe a little bit with low-end retail/supermarket work though. Fresh intellectual snobbery right here but that's definitely the sort of job that's best as a side gig or before you've got the experience to do anything else, and I wonder about people who work full time in them for very long. I've done tons of those sorts of roles as side gigs and wow they are depressing, but they do pay the bills I guess! Everyone's gotta do something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobleLeather)
    Such as garbage men and those working in fast food restaurants

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking
    I personally do not

However TSR is a forum for wealthy snobs who think you should only go to Oxford or Cambridge and for people who resent manual labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SawmHajjZakat)
    Im just amazed if you were English why you would bother. All the usual workplace 'teamwork' nonsense plus the fact your gonna be working with almost exclusively chavs and Poles, your not gonna really meet anybody of any significance, your social life if anything is gonna get worse, most women even secretaries and hairdresser and other nightclub trash will consider you pondlife and at the end of the week you cant even do much with the money you have left. Your better off trying to run a drug gang or something, certainly you'll get more pussy than if you rely on the dole office or work with poles 9-5. Asians have the right idea if you cant be a baller in the city or in medicine ****ing be a bare man and hit the roads...
    I agree

i honestly think this is why young men also turn to terrorism.

What do they have to live for ?

Student debt,

facing daily racism from society and the media,

living in endless poverty,

getting rejected by girls,

rejected for jobs,

materialism and the new mobile phone ,

never able to afford a house

being screwed over by bankers

I now see why people turn to crime and terrorism and drug dealing, life is too boring and depressing.

What does "hit the roads " mean in your post ?
    The UK is depressing, at least go to a third world country and build them houses or something.
    You can be happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Oh dear.

but the actual people are normal)
    Do you worry these people will turn to drugs, gangs, and maybe even terrorism to escape minimum wage and debt their whole life ?

I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Therec00)
    Do you worry these people will turn to drugs, gangs, and maybe even terrorism to escape minimum wage and debt their whole life ?

I do.
    They do turn to these things because of poverty. Everyone on this site assumes everyone else is middle class by default which is really weird I grew up with quite a few people desperate to escape minimum wage. The problem isn't minimum wage directly, it's that you can't afford anything on it - I knew someone who lost three days pay because they couldnt afford £300 to replace the clutch in their motor until their next paycheck cleared (and I wasn't even bottom 10% poverty, likely not even bottom 20%), and the pressures you live under with money worries are unbelievable. This makes people turn to drink and drugs. It's no coincidence crime and addiction are massively disproportionately a problem with the impoverished. You can't afford anything, all your stuff is broken and crap, you keep everything because you're too scared you might need it later down the line and don't have the money to buy it again, hand me down clothes etc etc and then because you have all this stuff people say 'the poor have loads and are just lazy' which perpetuates the problem.

My parents skipped meals to feed me and my brother, despite working 5 day weeks apiece on full time hours because of how costs have risen and wages just don't reflect it. Some people I know got quoted £4500 for a £500 1.2 car because the area they lived in was rubbish and examples such as this demonstrate the issue. They have to scrape and work on zero hours part time to get the money for their first car and then can't afford to insure it so it's a waste. Is it any surprise they just don't try? Who would run a marathon on day one of training and succeed?

Gangs are a result of having nothing to do. All you can do is hang around the streets with your mates because everything is closed down or is too expensive, all the council run leisure facilities, football pitches, parks etc they're all closed down or defunded and people have nothing to do - especially in the inner city. You put a bunch of kids, whose hormones are playing hell, out on the streets with nothing to do having come from a culture where criminality is the only way to get by then yeah ofc you get gangs.

That doesn't mean you have to do it. I've walked both lines, fortunate enough to be born smartish - enough to go to uni - I have a way out to work for. A lot of people dont. Especially with uni being set up for the middle and upper class more than anyone (the amount of pretentious nonsense is unbelievable and the whole system of education isn't really very much in the poorer persons favour as the skillset is not one they by default possess) and people without that may choose to do bad stuff. That doesn't make their choice legitimate - personal responsibility and respect for yourself is just as important as anything and you cant just excuse illegal behaviour because of poverty. You can make a very compelling argument globalism has made poverty worse and that many people are getting poorer or struggling in poverty due to government policies and social issues (including unchecked capitalism and the welfare state being seen as negative ie lazy because too many people give it that name by being a$$holes and spoiling the system for those who need it) - but ultimately criminality is a choice and you can't diminish that. Laws exist mostly to protect people from one another and if you breach that principle then it becomes a free for all (obviously some laws like loitering are just dumb but generally speaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Therec00)
    However TSR is a forum for wealthy snobs who think you should only go to Oxford or Cambridge and for people who resent manual labour.
    Bit of a sweeping generalisation. TSR has 6,300,000 unique visitors per month. Are you suggesting all of them are 'wealthy snobs'?

ReputationRep:
    You can't simultaneously demand a service then degrade those who provide it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Bit of a sweeping generalisation. TSR has 6,300,000 unique visitors per month. Are you suggesting all of them are 'wealthy snobs'?
    I agree. I think the absolute minority are wealthy snobs because they have better things to do with their lives. The majority are middle class snobs who are still in secondary school and think that getting A*s at GCSE make them superior to every other member of society, including those who have finished school, are earning a wage and most importantly, are living in the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.