Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Poshest' universities in the UK revealed Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    Why does it matter, like, at all?:'
    You are rejecting the single most important topic in British cultural life. Get thee behind me, changer of cultural norms. :lol:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by jneill)
    You do know "pretty" universities have (many) "ugly" buildings too?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3846033
    #ChurchillCollege :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show

please don't kill me guys just saying that it ain't my fave style of architecture :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Imagine being privately educated then paying 9k a year to study music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    You are rejecting the single most important topic in British cultural life. Get thee behind me, changer of cultural norms. :lol:
    If I'm honest, I was talking about why does that equate to posh, but I'm not looking for debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Why would a privately educated guy study agriculture lol
    Because it's in Cirencester.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You do know "pretty" universities have (many) "ugly" buildings too?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3846033
    Where's the thread of maths buildings?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    #ChurchillCollege :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show

please don't kill me guys just saying that it ain't my fave style of architecture :rofl:

But that's the thing. I happen to like the architecture, and they have loads of funky modern sculptures too. And it's surrounded by green space. It's a pretty cool set-up.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

But that's the thing. I happen to like the architecture, and they have loads of funky modern sculptures too. And it's surrounded by green space. It's a pretty cool set-up.
    Hahaha I guess to each their own! I do like the green spaces around it! (Yes I did visit a while back :rofl:)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Interesting story on the BBC today:

Full story here

So, more state students that ever before getting into university. How much do you think it matters? Should universities have a responsibility to limit the number of privately educated students they admit?

Oh - and the top 10 unis with the lowest proportion of state-educated students...
    1. Royal Academy of Music 48.5%
    2. Royal Agricultural University 49.1%
    3. Courtauld Institute of Art 55.3%
    4. Oxford 55.7%
    5. St Andrews 56.7%
    6. Royal College of Music 56.9%
    7. Durham 60.5%
    8. Bristol 61.4%
    9. Cambridge 61.9%
    10. Imperial 65.5%
    No Crap ex-polys either! Parents of privately funded kids are no fools! Only the gullible or delusional would pay £9k at an ex-poly on a par with Oxbridge/Imperial/St Andrews fees.

ReputationRep:
    I have an old friend who lives on a farm and his parents have lots of money (of course) to send him to private school and now he is studying Agriculture.

So I assume it's children who have rich farmer parents.

ReputationRep:
    Well.... it is a pretty good proxy tho.
    It provides a rough correlation maybe, but an incomplete picture.

The problem with using 'private schooled' as the sole metric for those things is that it doesn't take into account which state schools the other half/60% of students went to.

I don't have numbers but I would be shocked if it were not the case that a disproportionate number of the 60% of state schooled students at Cambridge went to top state grammars in affluent areas.

So basically I think (a) that private schools unfairly take the brunt of the criticism in these threads and (b) that if anything the private school metric underplays the 'poshness' of these institutions.

That said though, in response to OP, it still basically doesn't matter. Universities select the best applicants out of those who present themselves and they're not morally obligated to do anything more.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I don't have numbers but I would be shocked if it were not the case that a disproportionate number of the 60% of state schooled students at Cambridge went to top state grammars in affluent areas.
    Cambridge (% of UK acceptances 2015)
    27% Comprehensive
    23% Grammar
    9% Sixth Form college
    3% FE college

38% Independent (i.e private)

So non-Grammar, non-Independent is 39% of UK acceptances, vs 23% Grammar. Yes, Grammars are overrepresented and there's still work to do but that's why Cambridge spends ££££ on outreach & funding support every year.

"In 2013-14, in addition to the £6.5 million distributed to students from low income households through the Cambridge Bursary Scheme, the University, Colleges and Cambridge University Students’ Union (CUSU) spent £4.4 million delivering outreach initiatives"

= £10.9 million.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...spirations.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you what. Let's just go to the most deprived schools and chuck all their under-performers into Oxbridge in the name of political correctness. Then we'll see them all flourish... or not.

ReputationRep:

So non-Grammar, non-Independent is 39% of UK acceptances, vs 23% Grammar.
    Thanks, I thought you might have figures.

Any idea how that stacks up against similar institutions/ how many pupils attend grammars vs comprehensives etc?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I thought you might have figures.

Any idea how that stacks up against similar institutions/ how many pupils attend grammars vs comprehensives etc?
    Not without digging into something like this:
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...98/SN01398.pdf.

ReputationRep:
    Not without digging into something like this:
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...98/SN01398.pdf.
    haha yes, I'm not that interested either.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    haha yes, I'm not that interested either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Just because they have a relatively high intake of private schoolers, does not constitute as to how posh they are ffs...
    No, they should calculate the percentage of students speaking pure Queen's English, twirling their mustache and committing unspeakable acts with heads of dead animals.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the rugby players you see are sons of farmers or farmers themselves. Farmers are very well off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.