Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I gain weight QUICKLY? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to enter a martial arts competition soon but the lowest weight division is 55kg up and I'm about 53 to 54kg :mad: so I need to gain a couple of kilos quickly!! I was 56kg a few weeks ago too! I've been lifting and doing cardio but I lost a bit of weight for some reason.

How do I gain it quickly? Theyre strict but I REALLY REALLY want to do this. Should I not do cardio and just lift and eat a lot? What are good foods for bulking? Could weight gainer help? Should I sleep more or less?

Is lifting a bad idea for weight gain if it burns a lot of fat?

ReputationRep:
    You can gain a few kilos of water weight overnight if you eat a lot of salt the night before. Gaining a few kilos of actual bodyweight is easy enough anyway, just eat everything in sight and get several thousand calories per day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    You can gain a few kilos of water weight overnight if you eat a lot of salt the night before. Gaining a few kilos of actual bodyweight is easy enough anyway, just eat everything in sight and get several thousand calories per day.
    Thanks should I just binge on stuff like crisps then? Yeah I want to gain it but so that it doesn't fluctuate (even if I'm 49.9kg on the day of competition I'm out ). What sort of foods should I eat to do this in a few weeks? I don't buy much junk food and I get full quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SexyLegz)
    Thanks should I just binge on stuff like crisps then? Yeah I want to gain it but so that it doesn't fluctuate (even if I'm 49.9kg on the day of competition I'm out ). What sort of foods should I eat to do this in a few weeks? I don't buy much junk food and I get full quickly.
    Crisps, despite not being the healthiest of foods, are actually not bad in terms of caloric content to food volume, so they're not an ideal weight-gaining food. Just pick foods that carry a high calorie:volume ratio. For example, pasta, smother it with olive oil, plenty of calories there and also healthy. Stuff like McDonald's or other greasy takeaways are loaded with calories, not exactly the healthiest choice but it won't hurt to squeeze them in here and there. I know you said you don't eat much junk, but just for a few weeks it won't hurt and if you wanna make weight, it's gonna help.

If you have a tough time eating a lot, maybe make up some shakes. Chuck in to a blender a pint of full fat milk (300ish calories) 100g of oats (nearly 400 calories) and 4 tbsp of walnut oil (500ish calories). Add some Nesquik to taste. Blend it up and chug it down, 1200+ calories there. If you don't like eating then have a few of those a day as a meal replacement, three a day will equal 3600+ calories a day which, at your weight, should see you gaining weight in no time unless you're very active.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning every Monday, after your morning pee but before breakfast, and note your weight to see if you're on track. If you don't gain weight from one Monday to the next, then add another shake in per day.

ReputationRep:
    I would usually agree with Woody with the whole eating everything you can get your hands on to gain weight, USUALLY. But as you're doing it for a competition I would try and do it as healthy and lean(ly?) as possible.

Avoid the McDonald's, cook everything with olive oil, eat a tablespoon of peanut butter twice a day, drink a pint of full fat milk, all of these things will add an easy 500+ calories to your day. You can gain 2kg in 2 weeks reasonably healthily.

The worst thing you can do is gain too much weight too quickly, as this will **** up your hormones and you'll feel like crap for your competition and get your head stamped.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    eat everything and bulk train, if training no cardio, lose about 1590-2000 pd doing general stuff, keep above that always no cardio imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just carry weight into the weigh in. You can easily strap a few kilos of lead under your boxers and it won't be noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    put a lock of coins in your pockets.

ReputationRep:
    How much time are we talking about?

You can gain 1-2kg overnight by eating something high sodium and high carb that induces water retention. Pizza and chinese food are both good options, have it the night before.

A full bladder is an additional 0.5 - 1.0 kilograms. You can easily drink an extra litre of water before the weigh-in to gain an extra 1kg.

So that's about 3kg right there.

Lifting weights does not burn as much fat as you think it does. But you won't gain 1-2 kg of muscle within a week or two.

Make sure you've been having plenty of carbs to keep your muscle glycogen levels full.

Taking a bit of creatine will help your muscles be a bit fuller and will help you gain a tiny bit of water weight. 5 grams (1 teaspoonful) a day will suffice.

Sleep won't affect you very much in the short term, don't worry about that.

After you weigh in, take a piss and go for a bit of a jog to work up a sweat, it will help you flush out your sodium to lose your water weight and help your performance...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.