Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why should I provide a bank statement for my interviewer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been interviewed for an apprenticeship, had a job offered to me and have been given an induction day. The employer has asked me to provide ID and sent me the following list;
    Passport or full birth certificate and NI Card/letter
    Drivers license (both parts)
    Bank or financial statement
    Plus 2 proof of address

So, do I need to supply all of these or just two?
    And so, if all are required, why do I have to supply a bank statement? It makes me feel uncomfortable, and there is no need because I have already filled out an application to give them my account number and my sort code so I can be paid.
    Thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    It's commonly used as good proof of residency. You can alway copy it and put a piece of paper over the financial transactions/account number. Or how about using a credit card statement instead (if you have one). Alternatively, if you're on the Council Tax bill you can usually use that instead.

ReputationRep:
    take it all just to be safe

(Original post by chxrliew)
      Drivers license (both parts)
      Man, they have some outdated paperwork. There's only been one part of the driving license for 18 months now.
      • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
      Are you going to work in finance/banking? A lot of those places will make these checks to make sure you're not insolvent/bankrupt or anything like that, they have to be careful when vetting new employees in order to meet their legal requirements.

Also there's no longer two parts to a driver's licence, unless you're in Northern Ireland.
      • Very Important Poster

You should ask them. Normally your passport and 2 proof of address shoul be sufficient. As RC indicated a bank statemnt is quite common proof of ID, just black out the numbers if you are worried.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dez)
      Are you going to work in finance/banking? A lot of those places will make these checks to make sure you're not insolvent/bankrupt or anything like that, they have to be careful when vetting new employees in order to meet their legal requirements.

Also there's no longer two parts to a driver's licence, unless you're in Northern Ireland.
      No, I'm not going into finance or banking. It's a job at a primary school.
      • Very Important Poster

No, I'm not going into finance or banking. It's a job at a primary school.
      They need to do a right to work test. just google it. There are three tests depending on your nationality and residency status. If you are a Uk citizn then full passport will be enough along with NI fir payment purposes and 2 proofs of address. Vabk statement is one plus they need your details anyway. If you are unsure, then the common sense solution is contacting the person giving you the instructions. All jobs require employers to do this, it is the law. RC answered it really in the first reply.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 999tigger)
      They need to do a right to work test. just google it. There are three tests depending on your nationality and residency status. If you are a Uk citizn then full passport will be enough along with NI fir payment purposes and 2 proofs of address. Vabk statement is one plus they need your details anyway. If you are unsure, then the common sense solution is contacting the person giving you the instructions. All jobs require employers to do this, it is the law. RC answered it really in the first reply.
      Okay???? You don't have to be rude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can't help it that other people replied It's my first job, so I was just checking as I had googled it and many people had said it was an UNcommon form of ID. Just saying.
      • Very Important Poster

Okay???? You don't have to be rude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can't help it that other people replied It's my first job, so I was just checking as I had googled it and many people had said it was an UNcommon form of ID. Just saying.
      Actually I was akcnowledging RC's post. I was then being helpful and informative by telling you why and what they most likely needed. The other people are wrong.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      Man, they have some outdated paperwork. There's only been one part of the driving license for 18 months now.
      A lot of people will still have 2 parts of the driving licence- mainly those who have held their licence for longer than the 18 months (and havent had to update their licence due to change of address etc).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reality Check)
      It's commonly used as good proof of residency. You can alway copy it and put a piece of paper over the financial transactions/account number. Or how about using a credit card statement instead (if you have one). Alternatively, if you're on the Council Tax bill you can usually use that instead.
      I agree.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.