Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were the government thinking when they changed education ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else feel that they have taken too big a "jump" in the maths gcse curriculum. in my school top set maths got an average mark of 43% and second set 40%. They should have introduced the new 9-1 course for people who are still in primary school and studying the new syllabuses there to work towards the new gcse. for people who are currently doing the new 9-1 maths, will be put at an unfair disadvantage, since they have been working towards the "older" GCSE, up until they announced the changes in about when current year 11's were in year 9.

What are your guys' opinion on this, do you think that they will soon make it a little easier in a few years time ?

ReputationRep:
    It's only a big jump because the maths curiculum was so shite before. It would be nice if they have phased it in gradually, but when you're freefalling in the league tables, you need to get improvements in.
    Also you need to remember that grade boundaries take into account how well people as a whole did in the assessment.
    If the smartest people only get 50%, then the 8/9 grade boundary will be 50% (but that won't happen).
    I got 98% in my maths mocks. It's certainly not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Even with the new curriculum we are far behind in some South Korean schools the school day starts at 7 and finishes at 6.

I know students from singapore studying our degrees and saying isn't this for before the degree as they did it at high school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digital_King321)
    Does anybody else feel that they have taken too big a "jump" in the maths gcse curriculum. in my school top set maths got an average mark of 43% and second set 40%. They should have introduced the new 9-1 course for people who are still in primary school and studying the new syllabuses there to work towards the new gcse. for people who are currently doing the new 9-1 maths, will be put at an unfair disadvantage, since they have been working towards the "older" GCSE, up until they announced the changes in about when current year 11's were in year 9.

What are your guys' opinion on this, do you think that they will soon make it a little easier in a few years time ?
    Inserting a bit more content and more challenging requirements into higher tier maths seems like a sensible decision. Huge numbers of students planning to go on to study maths at A level already do extra maths qualifications in year 11 because they find GCSE isn't enough challenge and want to be stretched and better prepared for further study.

When so many students leave school without a useful maths qualification it seems less sensible to me that they have made the foundation specification and exams so hard instead of concentrating on ensuring students have the numeracy skills to succeed in life, work and future learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If we are going to compete with other countries, we definitely can't be making stuff "easier" lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    If we are going to compete with other countries, we definitely can't be making stuff "easier" lol.
    What about the children don't they get a say in how their education is run?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsiclez)
    What about the children don't they get a say in how their education is run?
    Unfortunately not. Children aren't really experts so that wouldn't be a smart decision.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not. Children aren't really experts so that wouldn't be a smart decision.
    Democracy at work ! Apparently an old relic who sits on hiis high horse in Parliamment knows more about education than the kids themselves. What about post 16 students who have just come out compulsary education Do they not get a say?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Democracy at work ! Apparently an old relic who sits on hiis high horse in Parliamment knows more about education than the kids themselves. What about post 16 students who have just come out compulsary education Do they not get a say?
    No. If anyone should get a say, it should be the teachers, not the children...

ReputationRep:
    No. If anyone should get a say, it should be the teachers, not the children...
    Why don't you give children and teenagers credit, they know in their hearts of hearts whats right. Is it because you think they're young and naiive?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you give children and teenagers credit, they know in their hearts of hearts whats right. Is it because you think they're young and naiive?
    Because you're going to have quite a lot who won't take things seriously and say we need longer holidays. Children aren't experts so...

ReputationRep:
    He's right. Many children and teenagers don't know what's best for themselves - and they certainly don't know what's right (in general) - that's why kids do dumb stuff. If it were down to the kids themselves then exams would be really easy because everyone wants an easy exam but obviously this can't be allowed to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    When so many students leave school without a useful maths qualification it seems less sensible to me that they have made the foundation specification and exams so hard instead of concentrating on ensuring students have the numeracy skills to succeed in life, work and future learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't need maths GCSE for everyday maths problems. Phythagoras' theorem, circle theorems, they're all useless for everyday life. All you need to be able to get by is to use the 4 basic operations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    You don't need maths GCSE for everyday maths problems. Phythagoras' theorem, circle theorems, they're all useless for everyday life. All you need to be able to get by is to use the 4 basic operations.
    By that logic, we don't even need English GCSE, we just need to know how to read and write.
    We don't need Science GCSE, never gonna use that.
    In fact, why the **** are we even going to school after primary, it's all useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    By that logic, we don't even need English GCSE, we just need to know how to read and write.
    We don't need Science GCSE, never gonna use that.
    In fact, why the **** are we even going to school after primary, it's all useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's right for everyday life. However there are people (which make up a minority probably) who will go on to get A levels and then degrees and then end up doing research or working in jobs that need maths way way beyond GCSE. Same with science. But I don't call this everyday life because this isn't true for most people. Most people are in unskilled jobs and so just don't need to have skills beyond the basic stuff. Would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    He's right. Many children and teenagers don't know what's best for themselves - and they certainly don't know what's right (in general) - that's why kids do dumb stuff. If it were down to the kids themselves then exams would be really easy because everyone wants an easy exam but obviously this can't be allowed to happen.
    These "kids" that sit GCSEs (myself included) are 2 years away from voting and looking at the current state of politics throughout the world I'm thinking that it is more the adults that are doing "dumb stuff" than the "kids". I am in top set year 11 for all courses and I wouldn't want it to be easy as that wouldn't be an accurate representation of my skills. At the same time the course we were on up until part of the way through year 10 was a lot different to the current course. This means that we have had to study years worth of stuff in a short amount of time with teachers who are not experienced in teaching the curriculum themselves. Taking the voice away from teenagers will not help anyone, it will simply cause stress and the misguided belief that we are coping. We are not because of the amount of stress we are under to make the country 'look good' and bring the country up the league tables. Just think about that when you are putting the entire generation down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tripletrouble333)
    These "kids" that sit GCSEs (myself included) are 2 years away from voting and looking at the current state of politics throughout the world I'm thinking that it is more the adults that are doing "dumb stuff" than the "kids".
    >implying what's going on politically is a bad thing
    >implying the world isn't just waking up from the false song of globalism
    >implying almost all kids 16-17 aren't lefties just beacuse they haven't experienced real life yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tripletrouble333)
    These "kids" that sit GCSEs (myself included) are 2 years away from voting and looking at the current state of politics throughout the world I'm thinking that it is more the adults that are doing "dumb stuff" than the "kids". I am in top set year 11 for all courses and I wouldn't want it to be easy as that wouldn't be an accurate representation of my skills. At the same time the course we were on up until part of the way through year 10 was a lot different to the current course. This means that we have had to study years worth of stuff in a short amount of time with teachers who are not experienced in teaching the curriculum themselves. Taking the voice away from teenagers will not help anyone, it will simply cause stress and the misguided belief that we are coping. We are not because of the amount of stress we are under to make the country 'look good' and bring the country up the league tables. Just think about that when you are putting the entire generation down.
    I don't think the courses have gotten significantly harder. Just slightly and with more differentiation between grades. I think it's being exaggerated quite a bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.