Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Indeed, and it is generally understood that declining to provide a reference is equivalent to giving a bad reference - as you say, companies are much more hesitant about explicitly writing a bad reference for an employee nowadays because of the threat of legal action.
    This was the point i was making. You could write a reference where the other party reads between the lines and dos you no favours at all. Raising any difficulties would be warning bells, but still remain within the requirements of being fair and accurate. That is as you say why they just write a very basic reference to aboid any issues. Instead they make a quick phonecall at which point a person can be glowing or less than enthused about someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Agree they do leave places all the time hassle free. nut they do involve human beings and they can adopt an attitude where they are fine or they can be real pains about it. Pontless, but yes it does happen. More likely in small organisations.

So looking at my quote I suggested:

1. That if they were so minded and they felt peeved at you, then paying things like salaries or sorting out holiday pay could be a lot slower. That is just hassle as you cease to be a priority. Seen plenty of threads on here where thats happened.

2. With references they have scope to be unhelpful. They dont have to gve one. They could for instance raise any problems they had with you as long as it was fair and accurate. i didnt suggest they could just write what they wanted. Its possible to mention things that are entirely truthful, but which do you no favours if someone was so minded. The alternative ofc is to miss such things out and write a glowing reference.

PS do I think any of the above is likely in this situation? Not unless he was unlucky.
    Why would pay be slow? If it's by BACS and the company is on good financial health then it wouldn't change - and if it did, there's a legal case.

As for references, typically firms complete a standard reference not a character reference - details are as simple as length of employment, sickness and disciplinary record. If the employee was acting in a way that would look unfavourable, that's down to the employee, not the employer who cites it in a reference is s/he so wishes.

The whole notion that it's realistic that pay will be slowly processed or a reputable employer will attempt to prevent you from leaving - or go out of their way to hinder your new employment with a poor reference off the back of you handing on your notice is absolutely nonsense.

I don't know who you've worked for in the past but any individual with an ounce of integrity wouldn't behave this way.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    Why would pay be slow? If it's by BACS and the company is on good financial health then it wouldn't change - and if it did, there's a legal case.

As for references, typically firms complete a standard reference not a character reference - details are as simple as length of employment, sickness and disciplinary record. If the employee was acting in a way that would look unfavourable, that's down to the employee, not the employer who cites it in a reference is s/he so wishes.

The whole notion that it's realistic that pay will be slowly processed or a reputable employer will attempt to prevent you from leaving - or go out of their way to hinder your new employment with a poor reference off the back of you handing on your notice is absolutely nonsense.

I don't know who you've worked for in the past but any individual with an ounce of integrity wouldn't behave this way.

This is less about the OP's position, but sometimes when you end employment it isnt always on good terms. Sometimes the company you leave are inefficient or dont care about you. Sometimes they are cheapskates. Sometimes they dont have big efficient finance departments. Sometimes managers can be vindictive.

Its easy for them to go slow over your payments or give you less than you actually are due i.e holidays etc. It shouldnt happen, but because human beings are involved you cease to be a priority, so its best to be pro active and get it all sorted out beforehand.

You say its unreasonable that an employer prevents you leaving. I never said they would prevent you so thats something you just made up.

As for references yes most employers keep it simple for the reasons reality check suggested. If someone was so minded then they could give you a reference that did you no favours at all. You do realise not all employers or manager are nice and they dont all have integrity.

You just havent come acrosss bad employers or are you saying they dont exist?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Let's just allow the OP to settle into his new job, without unduly confusing the situation about imaginary future positions that he hasn't even applied for and imaginary hassles from his current employer who he hasn't even worked a single day for yet.

OP, focus on THIS opportunity.

Glass half full, not half empty...

ReputationRep:
    Send a friend to throw it, like this

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

PRSOM - and OP hasn't even started any job yet....

ReputationRep:
    What do I need to bring?

She said I need to bring, passport, birth certificate, national insurance number and driving license but I feel like I'm missing something so I'm just making sure, seeing if anyone can think of anything else I may need?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jneill)
    PRSOM - and OP hasn't even started any job yet....
    Except we had really moved away from the OP and were talking about hypotheticals. If you bother to read the thread then I took a first things forst approach with the OP way back.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Except we had really moved away from the OP and were talking about hypotheticals. If you bother to read the thread then I took a first things forst approach with the OP way back.
    And at this point the hypotheticals could end up confusing/stressing the OP - or anyone else arriving on the thread.

The chances of an employer being awkward are extremely low. The potential hypothetical scenario has been covered - there seems little point continuing it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    What do I need to bring?

She said I need to bring, passport, birth certificate, national insurance number and driving license but I feel like I'm missing something so I'm just making sure, seeing if anyone can think of anything else I may need?
    Who said to bring all this? Are you sure they said all of this, or some of them?

e.g. A passport plus something "official" (e.g. utility bill) with your address should be more than sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    Who said to bring all this? Are you sure they said all of this, or some of them?

e.g. A passport plus something "official" (e.g. utility bill) with your address should be more than sufficient.
    I think she said to bring all of it, then she said not to worry because they'd send me an email with this information on in two minutes, but I haven't recieved it if they did.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What do I need to bring?

She will be doing this check. It depends on your nationality.

Name:  right to work.PNG
Views: 94
Size:  22.1 KB

You can find the list in annex A here on p24 and p25

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...cuments_v5.pdf

ReputationRep:
    She will be doing this check. It depends on your nationality.

Name:  right to work.PNG
Views: 94
Size:  22.1 KB

You can find the list in annex A here on p24 and p25

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...cuments_v5.pdf
    So, I've got everything I need, right? Passport, driving license, birth certificate, national insurance number, etc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    So, I've got everything I need, right? Passport, driving license, birth certificate, national insurance number, etc.
    Dudel I linked you the list. Just take what she asked and if unsure ring her.

Your passport should be enough, but take the others as well. you also said she wanted proof of address I think.

Im assuming you were born in the Uk and have a UK passport. I linked the checklists.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As per 999tigger

Also you will probably be asked to complete a form like this - so have the info requested (ie. NI Number)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...klist_v1.0.pdf

Are you currently receiving JSA?

ReputationRep:
    As per 999tigger

Also you will probably be asked to complete a form like this - so have the info requested (ie. NI Number)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...klist_v1.0.pdf

Are you currently receiving JSA?
    Nope, I've never recieved benefits.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Nope, I've never recieved benefits.
    Ok. And have you been in paid work this tax year. I.e. do you have a P45?

If yes, bring it. If not, they will put you on a temporary tax code so you pay the right amount of tax. Depending on the code you might end up overpaying a little tax this year but that can be refunded or adjusted later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is less about the OP's position, but sometimes when you end employment it isnt always on good terms. Sometimes the company you leave are inefficient or dont care about you. Sometimes they are cheapskates. Sometimes they dont have big efficient finance departments. Sometimes managers can be vindictive.

Its easy for them to go slow over your payments or give you less than you actually are due i.e holidays etc. It shouldnt happen, but because human beings are involved you cease to be a priority, so its best to be pro active and get it all sorted out beforehand.

You say its unreasonable that an employer prevents you leaving. I never said they would prevent you so thats something you just made up.

As for references yes most employers keep it simple for the reasons reality check suggested. If someone was so minded then they could give you a reference that did you no favours at all. You do realise not all employers or manager are nice and they dont all have integrity.

You just havent come acrosss bad employers or are you saying they dont exist?
    Your points are totally invalid and I can only assume you have extremely limited work experience. Let's leave it here.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Your points are totally invalid and I can only assume you have extremely limited work experience. Let's leave it here.
    Why are they invalid? Do you think poor employers dont exist?

Ive worked as an advice worker for several years dealing with them, so whats your experience?

ReputationRep:
    Why are they invalid? Do you think poor employers dont exist?

Ive worked as an advice worker for several years dealing with them, so whats your experience?
    Not to the extreme you're suggesting is frequent - if they were that bad, they wouldn't be in business long.

My experience is several years of working - from start ups to Multinationals as well helping a friend set up a job prep business and being responsible for exit interviews.

And let me tell you, the only time I've heard of the examples you're citing has been online from someone claiming they're being mistreated (I.e. one side of the story).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.