Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we have to boycott the United States? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I bet you couldn't do one day without the involvement of US products.
    Hell, bet you couldn't do 6 hours of a normal work day.
    Of course it's difficult because of the penetration of the US software and entertainment industries, but we have to fight back against the new imperialism he represents and the attempt to wind the clock back to the 1950s and a pre-modern, barbaric way of dealing with the world.

I am really in favour of targeted boycotts, so as I said, we should be boycotting corporations that side with his immoral campaigns and policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Time says he did.
    http://time.com/4657474/donald-trump...o-bad-hombres/

And so does most of the global media.

:holmes:
    Poor vulnerable Mexico is hardly in a position to stand up to this swaggering bully. They are most certainly fearful of the consequences, as will be people across Latin America - the countries south of the US have long been a sort of playground for US thuggery and exploitation.
    Oh, it couldn't possibly be the media sensationalising and exaggerating something just to get more people to read their content? They've never done that before. Definitely not with Donald Trump. They've always been so fair and level-headed with him.

++Sarcasm mode deactivated++

Mexico and several other nations less powerful than Mexico have openly spoken out against President Trump before. You'd think if he actually threatened them with war there would be an outcry and some serious complaints from the Mexican government to both the United States and the international community.

No, he did not threaten them with war. Have a brain and stop believing everything you read from media outlets that play things up, aren't afraid to make things up, and mostly just copy from each other anyway.

ReputationRep:
    That didn't seem to work too well in WW2, did it??? As the total land area of the Uk is about 10% less than that of Nevada, and the total population of the Uk is about 1.8 times that of California, it would seem that you're proposing the 'tail wagging the dog'. You apparently feel, in opposition to one of your own judges, that soverign nations should NOT be able to control their own borders. I suspect that, as the jihadists take over more and more of europe, an increasingly panic driven population will clamor for outside help. Cheers.

Today comes further news of the immigration ban - incredibly, US customs actually held the former Norwegian Prime Minister for questioning, because he once visited Iran.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...014-visit-iran

Trump's leading aides make up stories in the most blatant way imaginable to justify the ban.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38857216

Trump himself has now threatened war against Mexico, been deliberately rude to the Prime Minister of Australia (politically, a potential ally) and is now poised to push American scientific progress back by cutting all government spending on science and banning research in many important areas.

The KKK are jubilant with their new president and Steve Bannon, a neo-fascist who has praised Nazism, is the closest advisor to Trump.

Against this background, how long can it be before we need a worldwide boycott of America?

Things we could boycott:

* US media - abandon all those Netflix and Amazon accounts

* Stop using US corporations that support Trump, like Uber and Esso.

* Seek to ban leading financial corporations like Goldman Sachs that are deeply in bed with Trump.

* Stop buying US products.

* Access to the UK and Europe for political and business allies of Trump.

Should we start discussing how this boycott would work and the goals? The key goal is to show Trump that as bad as he is, and as much as he wants to hurt other people, we can hurt the interests of his people more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit20164)
    That didn't seem to work too well in WW2, did it??? As the total land area of the Uk is about 10% less than that of Nevada, and the total population of the Uk is about 1.8 times that of California, it would seem that you're proposing the 'tail wagging the dog'. You apparently feel, in opposition to one of your own judges, that soverign nations should NOT be able to control their own borders. I suspect that, as the jihadists take over more and more of europe, an increasingly panic driven population will clamor for outside help. Cheers.
    We would only be part of a global boycott.

The US cares a lot about what the UK says and thinks about it, we are seen globally as a bit of an opinion leader.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you're aware of this, but Amazon have already joined Google, Microsoft, and Expedia in support of a lawsuit against Trump in retaliation of his travel ban.

ReputationRep:
    but we have to fight back against the new imperialism he represents and the attempt to wind the clock back to the 1950s and a pre-modern, barbaric way of dealing with the world.
    If Trump becomes the new President Eisenhower I'd see that as a major improvement quite frankly.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's difficult because of the penetration of the US software and entertainment industries, but we have to fight back against the new imperialism he represents and the attempt to wind the clock back to the 1950s and a pre-modern, barbaric way of dealing with the world.

I am really in favour of targeted boycotts, so as I said, we should be boycotting corporations that side with his immoral campaigns and policies.
    Not difficult.

Impossible. Actually impossible to cut out US products from normal life.

ReputationRep:
    Lets boycott the sun or gravity or thermodynamics

ReputationRep:
    Well, so long as you have your Netflix, I mean, that's all that matters, right?
    Yeah. You can boycott USA all you want, just don't touch netflix pls thnx

ReputationRep:
    I cant boycott the USA, i own too many US products.

ReputationRep:
    You mean no apple or microsoft either?

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
      Lets boycott the sun or gravity or thermodynamics
      A ridiculous comparison, the US is not a fundamental force of the global economy. I look forwards to a future where the EU is the market that other nations prostrate themselves before.

ReputationRep:
      Today comes further news of the immigration ban - incredibly, US customs actually held the former Norwegian Prime Minister for questioning, because he once visited Iran.
      https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...014-visit-iran

Trump's leading aides make up stories in the most blatant way imaginable to justify the ban.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38857216

Trump himself has now threatened war against Mexico, been deliberately rude to the Prime Minister of Australia (politically, a potential ally) and is now poised to push American scientific progress back by cutting all government spending on science and banning research in many important areas.

The KKK are jubilant with their new president and Steve Bannon, a neo-fascist who has praised Nazism, is the closest advisor to Trump.

Against this background, how long can it be before we need a worldwide boycott of America?

Things we could boycott:

* Stop using US corporations that support Trump, like Uber and Esso.

* Seek to ban leading financial corporations like Goldman Sachs that are deeply in bed with Trump.

* Stop buying US products.

* Access to the UK and Europe for political and business allies of Trump.

Should we start discussing how this boycott would work and the goals? The key goal is to show Trump that as bad as he is, and as much as he wants to hurt other people, we can hurt the interests of his people more.
      Do you advocate we stop using google?

ReputationRep:
      Sounds like a very smart and practical thing to do.

ReputationRep:
      That's not an accurate analysis. I am advocating resistance against a reactionary plutocrat and his careless, domineering, dangerous global role.
      One of the main reasons you find him to be so dangerous is because he created division between the USA and countries who's ideologies he considers to be poisonous. Now, because of this action, and because you find it to be ideologically poisonous, you are proposing we create similar division between his country and ours. In other words, you are being hypocritical.

(Original post by TaintedLight)
        Do you advocate we stop using google?
        There are alternatives.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Drewski)
        I bet you couldn't do one day without the involvement of US products.
        Hell, bet you couldn't do 6 hours of a normal work day.
        Given that pretty much that Microsoft Office is the standard, I would last one wouldn't need to bother turning up to work at all.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Willy Pete)
        Don't forget they are also a playground for the cartels.
        It wouldn't happen if the Americans weren't consuming cocaine by the tonnes. The war on drugs has been an utter failure across the whole world.

We need to legalise all drugs now.

ReputationRep:
        Yeah you enjoy getting along using one of those many non-American operating systems, word processors, online shopping services, and whatever the generic term for Uber and Airbnb would be, OP.

I honestly can't think of a policy position which the US presidency could adopt which would cause me to abandon my amazon prime subscription.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mathemagicien)
        There are alternatives.
        Well there is DuckDuckGo...

However Chrome has eclipsed firefox in terms of performance. And gmail let you attach files as big as 50MB. No alternatives can better that.

Then there is Tesla. One does not boycott Tesla. Ever.

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
        Yeah you enjoy getting along using one of those many non-American operating systems, word processors, online shopping services, and whatever the generic term for Uber and Airbnb would be, OP.

I honestly can't think of a policy position which the US presidency could adopt which would cause me to abandon my amazon prime subscription.
        You be such a modern slave. Itz most disappointing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.