Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we have to boycott the United States? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    It wouldn't happen if the Americans weren't consuming cocaine by the tonnes. The war on drugs has been an utter failure across the whole world.

We need to legalise all drugs now.
    I completely agree, the war on drugs can never be won and is just a waste of money. Better to create a safer local market and tax it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    I completely agree, the war on drugs can never be won and is just a waste of money. Better to create a safer local market and tax it.
    Poor Mexico, Im not a fan of Trump but if the america gets involved and finally puts its military into use then they can actually bring good change to the country in the long term. I visited Mexico city and that place is a mess, it's the kidnap capital of the world thanks to cartels operating there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So....Apple and Microsoft then? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Poor Mexico, Im not a fan of Trump but if the america gets involved and finally puts its military into use then they can actually bring good change to the country in the long term. I visited Mexico city and that place is a mess, it's the kidnap capital of the world thanks to cartels operating there.
    I can't say I have ever been there, but I have taken a lot of interest in the Mexican Cartel situation over the year and it is a mess by all accounts. I think it might actually be beneficial to Mexico to get a helping hand from the US military to try and combat the ever growing threat, but it could just turn into another warzone like Iraq if they aren't careful.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
      So....Apple and Microsoft then? :rofl:
      Easy to boycott Apple. If you are buying their overpriced garbage, then you are quite honestly the sort of person we went to great lengths to deport from the UK many centuries ago.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Easy to boycott Apple. If you are buying their overpriced garbage, then you are quite honestly the sort of person we went to great lengths to deport from the UK many centuries ago.
      I've never owned an Apple product in my life. But thanks. It was more aimed at the kind of lefty idiot who, while typing on their overpriced junk iphone, thinks a boycott of the US would even be possible. But yeah, don't let that get in the way of your hatred of the US.

As for "deporting"? Wtf are you on about. I think you're confusing the US and Australia.

I've never owned an Apple product in my life. But thanks. It was more aimed at the kind of lefty idiot who, while typing on their overpriced junk iphone, thinks a boycott of the US would even be possible. But yeah, don't let that get in the way of your hatred of the US.

As for "deporting"? Wtf are you on about. I think you're confusing the US and Australia.
        Did I really just hear a TSR Support Team member use the phrase "lefty idiot"? :eyeball:

I thought 2016 was a tumultuous year, but 2017 has already bested it!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
        Today comes further news of the immigration ban - incredibly, US customs actually held the former Norwegian Prime Minister for questioning, because he once visited Iran.
        https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...014-visit-iran

Trump's leading aides make up stories in the most blatant way imaginable to justify the ban.
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38857216

Trump himself has now threatened war against Mexico, been deliberately rude to the Prime Minister of Australia (politically, a potential ally) and is now poised to push American scientific progress back by cutting all government spending on science and banning research in many important areas.

The KKK are jubilant with their new president and Steve Bannon, a neo-fascist who has praised Nazism, is the closest advisor to Trump.

Against this background, how long can it be before we need a worldwide boycott of America?

Things we could boycott:

* US media - abandon all those Netflix and Amazon accounts

* Stop using US corporations that support Trump, like Uber and Esso.

* Seek to ban leading financial corporations like Goldman Sachs that are deeply in bed with Trump.

* Stop buying US products.

* Access to the UK and Europe for political and business allies of Trump.

Should we start discussing how this boycott would work and the goals? The key goal is to show Trump that as bad as he is, and as much as he wants to hurt other people, we can hurt the interests of his people more.

But the thing is...say we succesfully cut america off like that...They would be independent...basically slavery would have to happen again, because they would need all the 'help they could get'

Then they would probably start criminalising everything, just to get more criminals...like before when people were imprisoned for "loitering" and "vagrancy"....ie were standing on the roadside and get kidnapped by police.....
        THEN the 13th amendment thing which legalised the use of state criminals for labour.

That sounds like the worst nightmare ever, they could kill off half the population with that
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cicilaw)
        THEN the 13th amendment thing which legalised the use of state criminals for labour.
        Cicilaw :rofl:

It didn't legalize it, it just didn't ban it.

Not that I see anything wrong with using criminals for labor anyway :dontknow: better than having them sit on their ass in some cell all day.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        He threatened a war against the Cartels in Mexico not Mexico itself.

ReputationRep:
        You'd have to get the government to enforce something so dramatic. I think even the most die hard anti American would have difficulty completely ditching everything that is American.

ReputationRep:
        Cicilaw :rofl:

It didn't legalize it, it just didn't ban it.

Not that I see anything wrong with using criminals for labor anyway :dontknow: better than having them sit on their ass in some cell all day.
        ummmmmmmm apart from when loitering is a crime
        or when people aren't tried at all
        like kalief browder

ReputationRep:
        Today comes further news of the immigration ban - incredibly, US customs actually held the former Norwegian Prime Minister for questioning, because he once visited Iran.

Trump's leading aides make up stories in the most blatant way imaginable to justify the ban.

Trump himself has now threatened war against Mexico, been deliberately rude to the Prime Minister of Australia (politically, a potential ally) and is now poised to push American scientific progress back by cutting all government spending on science and banning research in many important areas.

The KKK are jubilant with their new president and Steve Bannon, a neo-fascist who has praised Nazism, is the closest advisor to Trump.

Against this background, how long can it be before we need a worldwide boycott of America?

Things we could boycott:

* Seek to ban leading financial corporations like Goldman Sachs that are deeply in bed with Trump.

Should we start discussing how this boycott would work and the goals? The key goal is to show Trump that as bad as he is, and as much as he wants to hurt other people, we can hurt the interests of his people more.
        Did you try and arrange a boycott when Obama banned Iraqi refugees? How about when several Arab nations banned Israelis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Underscore__)
        Did you try and arrange a boycott when Obama banned Iraqi refugees? How about when several Arab nations banned Israelis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        I've spoken repeatedly against banning Israeli visits from academics, cultural figures, etc, I'm very against it.

Obama did not ban Iraqi refugees, that is a widely circulated Trump lie.
        http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/31/1...fugee-ban-2011

ReputationRep:
        I've spoken repeatedly against banning Israeli visits from academics, cultural figures, etc, I'm very against it.
        Oh so banning muslims is bad but you want to ban Israelis? Not hypocritical in the least bit.

Obama did not ban Iraqi refugees, that is a widely circulated Trump lie.
        http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/31/1...fugee-ban-2011
        Fair enough, I hadn't read into that story enough. Either way a boycott would be ridiculous, how are Esso to blame?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Underscore__)
        Oh so banning muslims is bad but you want to ban Israelis? Not hypocritical in the least bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        ? I didn't say I want to ban Israelis. I'm against banning people as individuals just because they are from countries with bad regimes or that behave badly, especially if they are worthy people who can contribute a lot. I'm not against banning people who are proven troublemakers, who spread hate, or who commit serious crimes.

ReputationRep:
        I think the Australian authorities still hold the record.

Ex-PM with subterranean public profile from relatively insignificant country carrying diplomatic passport versus sitting PM from closest neighbouring ally accompanied by one of your own customs officials.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...jectid=3535925

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by nulli tertius)
        I think the Australian authorities still hold the record.

Ex-PM with subterranean public profile from relatively insignificant country carrying diplomatic passport versus sitting PM from closest neighbouring ally accompanied by one of your own customs officials.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...jectid=3535925
        They ran a scanner over her - not quite on a level with being held for questioning, but I take your point.

What next I wonder - Prince Charles to be detained at JFK because he has visited many Arab countries? The Pope to be jumped on and strip searched?

Presumably only one man will be truly exempt from Trump hassling.

ReputationRep:

Things we could boycott:

So we're going to piss off both the USA and the EU? You realise that basically just leaves Russia,China and middle eastern hellholes to trade with?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Robby2312)
        So we're going to piss off both the USA and the EU? You realise that basically just leaves Russia,China and middle eastern hellholes to trade with?
        The guilt and anger are so strong that a true SJW will be content for everyone of us to sit in the corner, starving to death and self-flagellating to atone for the supposed sins of ancestors (both our own and those of others) as long as it signals sufficient virtue to the world and is sufficiently ineffective.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.