Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we have to boycott the United States? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    ? I didn't say I want to ban Israelis. I'm against banning people as individuals just because they are from countries with bad regimes or that behave badly, especially if they are worthy people who can contribute a lot. I'm not against banning people who are proven troublemakers, who spread hate, or who commit serious crimes.
    Apologies, I misread what you said. So are you planning to boycott countries that ban Israelis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Apologies, I misread what you said. So are you planning to boycott countries that ban Israelis?
    I can care about the plight of the tiger without being obliged to care about the plight of the whale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I can care about the plight of the tiger without being obliged to care about the plight of the whale.
    Your analogy isn't very appropriate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your analogy isn't very appropriate
    It is perfectly appropriate. Someone who wishes to be critical of the current US administration (or any other government) is under no obligation to even consider the practises of other countries in which he or she has no interest.

ReputationRep:
    It is perfectly appropriate. Someone who wishes to be critical of the current US administration (or any other government) is under no obligation to even consider the practises of other countries in which he or she has no interest.
    It's ridiculous to call out one group for doing something but ignore another

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous to call out one group for doing something but ignore another

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless the impossible can be achieved we must not attempt the possible?

ReputationRep:
    Unless the impossible can be achieved we must not attempt the possible?
    Do you always speak in irrelevant sayings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Things we could boycott:

* US media - abandon all those Netflix and Amazon accounts

* Stop using US corporations that support Trump, like Uber and Esso.

* Seek to ban leading financial corporations like Goldman Sachs that are deeply in bed with Trump.

* Stop buying US products.

* Access to the UK and Europe for political and business allies of Trump.

Should we start discussing how this boycott would work and the goals? The key goal is to show Trump that as bad as he is, and as much as he wants to hurt other people, we can hurt the interests of his people more.
    If you want to boycott US corporations then you had enough reason before Trump came along, look at their record on labour rights, treatment of the environment. If Obama or Hilary were US president they would still be the same.

Do you also agree with people that say we should cut off all international aid to countries with non-democratic regimes or put sanctions on Iran over its missile tests?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.