Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoloBaggins00)
    Well then you can't call it a storybook if you've never read it.
    Umm, why? It's got stories in it - it's a storybook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Hmm...weird. I've never thought of the Quraan as a storybook. Besides, it has more than just stories in it, so I guess it can't be called a storybook. It can be called a book, but it can't be described as a storybook. It sounds like you're belittling it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoloBaggins00)
    It sounds like you're belittling it.
    Perhaps you're being a bit hypersensitive. It's got stories in it - to my mind, that's a storybook. Same as the Bible. How is that 'belittling' it?!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you people would consider working hard for many years to enter a competitive profession only to jack it all in because of a storybook. Amazing!
    The kuffar would call it a storybook, MUSLIMS would say otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigTraderBoi)
    The kuffar would call it a storybook, MUSLIMS would say otherwise!
    What's a kuffar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigTraderBoi)
    Most finance careers, including accounting, actuarial, investment banking, investment management and others involve working with debt. In western societies, this involves riba (interest) which is forbidden in Islam. Working in any place that deals with interest and helping these firms is haram.

I would like to let you know because I didn't know about this until recently. It's astounding how many jobs indirectly deal with debt and this poses a challenge for Muslims. I'm not saying "don't do these careers if you're muslim" but I am letting you know that the Quran forbids these activities.
    Your username proves to be just a tad contradictory.

ReputationRep:
    What's a kuffar?
    It means disbelievers, someone not muslim
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just had a quick peek at your thread history and found that you were interested in asset management.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4433840

So because of religion, you are going to scrap what you're interested in?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest you collect info about the book before jumping into any conclusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom <3)
    I would suggest you collect info about the book before jumping into any conclusion
    As I said before, I don't have time to read fiction but it seems a popular book.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't advise people, you aren't qualified, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    You shouldn't advise people, you aren't qualified, sorry.
    If u are talking to me then i am happy to say that i am more then qualified about the topic

ReputationRep:
    So what about all the accountants/finance workers in majority Muslim countries like the Arab world? Should they quit? And do those nations not need these positions?

ReputationRep:
    If u are talking to me then i am happy to say that i am more then qualified about the topic
    I was referring to the thread starter - I don't know what you have posted or your qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    I was referring to the thread starter - I don't know what you have posted or your qualifications
    I see

ReputationRep:
    I think you should think twice before making these sweeping comments. Calling something haram when it's not isn't a small matter.

Those jobs mentioned in the OP are very broad, and each one needs to be critiqued properly and consulted with by someone qualified before we can say whether it is permissible to work in such a role or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faith 101)
    I think you should think twice before making these sweeping comments. Calling something haram when it's not isn't a small matter.

Those jobs mentioned in the OP are very broad, and each one needs to be critiqued properly and consulted with by someone qualified before we can say whether it is permissible to work in such a role or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!

ReputationRep:
    What might your qualifications on the topic be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Just had a quick peek at your thread history and found that you were interested in asset management.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4433840

So because of religion, you are going to scrap what you're interested in?
    I used to be interested in it, before I found out about how riba (interest) is involved. It is not permissible in Islam due to this. I will find a new passion to pursue, one that is permissible inshallah

That's why I made this thread, I don't want other Muslims to make th mistake I almost made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    What might your qualifications on the topic be?
    There were two topics that we were talking about at that time which one are you talking about?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.