Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    What kind of qualification? Does it come with a certificate?
    Yes it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Technically he's right… you're dealing with interest espically in accounting. Depends where you work but most the time you'll have to work with interest and debt so he's got a point.
    In it's simplest form, you're just auditing balances of interest, "debt" is just money owed to suppliers, what **** are you talking

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who see the need to tell people what they can or cannot do. People of other religions do not do that, its not OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ua3142)
    I hate people who see the need to tell people what they can or cannot do. People of other religions do not do that, its not OK
    Yes it is. Some of us care for our fellow Muslim brothers and sisters, and don't want them falling into sin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigTraderBoi)
    Most finance careers, including accounting, actuarial, investment banking, investment management and others involve working with debt. In western societies, this involves riba (interest) which is forbidden in Islam. Working in any place that deals with interest and helping these firms is haram.

I would like to let you know because I didn't know about this until recently. It's astounding how many jobs indirectly deal with debt and this poses a challenge for Muslims. I'm not saying "don't do these careers if you're muslim" but I am letting you know that the Quran forbids these activities.
    Why do so many muslims study and work in accounting and finance/banking then?
    Accountants record or audit transactions of interest that have already happened. How is that haram if they weren't involved in the transaction? Looking at it afterwards is haram? Plus interest is so common here in the west. It's an integral part of every day business and almost unavoidable because most businesses use credit and most loans have interest. Not everybody has the grades/interest in medicine and not everybody wants to be a solicitor. There simply aren't enough Islamic banking alternatives to employ every muslim in need of a job. Also, handshakes and mixing male and females are cultural norms here and Muslims are fine with that. According to sharia shouldn't you follow the laws of the land?

The islamqa website says "
    It is not permissible to work in riba-based organizations even if one is a driver or guard, because taking on work with riba-based organizations implies that one approves of it"

It's unavoidable. if every muslim followed that they would be unemployed welfare scroungers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Yes it is. Some of us care for our fellow Muslim brothers and sisters, and don't want them falling into sin.
    Are you suggesting accounting involves interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    "your lot"
    Yes YOUR LOT, what about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam276)
    Are you suggesting accounting involves interest?
    I don't know, does it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, does it?
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Nice moderation on this thread...

Apparently it's OK to rule 1 billion+ people out of a bunch of jobs based on superstitious nonsense, but it's not OK for me to call it out as nonsense. Seems a bit wrong doesn't it?
    Welcome to TSR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

Apparently it's OK to rule 1 billion+ people out of a bunch of jobs based on superstitious nonsense, but it's not OK for me to call it out as nonsense. Seems a bit wrong doesn't it?
    Just more excuses for them to not work and stay on benefits I'm thinking, their religious rules always seem to be ones that suit them. Women have to cover up, men don't. Women have to obey men, men can't. Men can take several wives, women can only take one husband. Women aren't allowed out the house without husband to chaperone (in other words - watch what shes doing) her.
    And now every job is haram.... can't imagine why, couldn't possibly be so they never have to work so they can just stay at home all day and do all their prayers. No it couldn't possibly be that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

Meh, welcome to TSR. Spineless, soft-lefty liberalism in a nutshell. Can't do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Meh, welcome to TSR. Spineless, soft-lefty liberalism in a nutshell. Can't do anything about it.
    Mm, apparently criticising the moderation is enough to get my latest post removed as well...

(Original post by Nerry)
    Just more excuses for them to not work and stay on benefits I'm thinking, their religious rules always seem to be ones that suit them. Women have to cover up, men don't. Women have to obey men, men can't. Men can take several wives, women can only take one husband. Women aren't allowed out the house without husband to chaperone (in other words - watch what shes doing) her.
    And now every job is haram.... can't imagine why, couldn't possibly be so they never have to work so they can just stay at home all day and do all their prayers. No it couldn't possibly be that...
    Yea, I'm not sure we're trying to say the same thing... at all...

Love how my post complaining about the moderation gets removed, but this one is allowed :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow Muslim, I don't think it is really your job to put judgement onto someone who you think is committing a sin, they might think that it's ok.

ReputationRep:
    As a fellow Muslim, I don't think it is really your job to put judgement onto someone who you think is committing a sin, they might think that it's ok.
    Erm I haven't judged anyone, nor has OP.
    As a fellow Muslim you should also be aware of this ayah

And let there be [arising] from you a nation inviting to [all that is] good, enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, and those will be the successful.
    [Qur'an 3:104]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can a Muslim not know this? There are entire chapters of hadith dealing specifically with Finance. If you are interested in finance wouldn't the first thing you do be to check what your religion says or have I got this wrong?

You can work for a firm which does not charge interest (see Islamic Banking), it is within the limits of the hadith.

Personally I can't see the point in the Islamic God, he bans so much stuff for so many rubbish reasons i've looked elsewhere for answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    I guess you studied under sheikh google ibn wifi?
    But either way ok I guess.
    Lol Sheikh Google ibn WiFi, yh he's a good guy, met him a few times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)

I'd say that's untrue when you say Muslim women don't work, trust me they do. But, particularly in developed countries, I'd say women are intelligent and in most cases, they'd never let men be superior to them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that's untrue when you say Muslim women don't work, trust me they do. But, particularly in developed countries, I'd say women are intelligent and in most cases, they'd never let men be superior to them.
    Thats good to know. what countries are these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    Thats good to know. what countries are these?
    I'm not going to name them all but from my own experience and from observing, many.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.